PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How To Connect Hdmi To Pc? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Connect Hdmi To Pc? Got a new setofbox with HDMI Output..

#1 User is offline   baba009 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

hi,

i am new to this forum, i got a setofbox with HDMI Port... is there any way to connect it with my pc & record it?. it got s-video also i can able to connect to my TV Tuner card, but i need HDMI port for recording Hi-Definition channels... is there any way to connect it?...

thanks in advance...

Regards
BG

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:28 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. First, we would need the Make and Model Number of your computer.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   baba009 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 29 March 2010 - 04:28 AM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. First, we would need the Make and Model Number of your computer.

i am using core 2 duo E4600 @ 2.40Ghz with 3GB RAM, also i got Ge Force 9400GT

attached the properties of the pc....

Regards
BG

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pc.JPG

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

View Postbaba009, on 28 March 2010 - 10:13 PM, said:

hi,

i am new to this forum, i got a setofbox with HDMI Port... is there any way to connect it with my pc & record it?. it got s-video also i can able to connect to my TV Tuner card, but i need HDMI port for recording Hi-Definition channels... is there any way to connect it?...

thanks in advance...

Regards
BG

Greetings! Welcome to the PCWorld forums!

Probably not. It will largely depend on the set top box. Most cable boxes and satellite boxes will most likely be making use of HDCP (i.e. copy protection) which would likely prevent any recording over an HDMI cable.

There are a few cards that will allow the use of either an HDMI cable or component cables that would in theory allow you to import/record HD content, but they are primarily aimed at importing/recording HD camcorder content (i.e. stuff YOU made with a camera yourself and thus does not have any copy protection).

You should be able to use the S-Video cable to record the HD channels to a typical computer tuner card, BUT it will all be recorded in Standard Def.

This post has been edited by smax013: 31 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

FWIW, this issue was kind of touched on in this topic:

http://forums.pcworl...-few-questions/

In particular, this is a "capture" card with HDMI ports mentioned by waldojim in the topic:

http://www.visibleli...w.aspx?pid=1220

But, as I noted above and in that thread, the real wild card is still HDCP.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   gooworldguy 

• Pip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Ah I remember a few years ago when Windows Vista came out and they started including HDMI on the computer. I thought for sure that it was going to be standard from then on but then the amount of people connecting their computer to the TV directly cut way down. Some services, like DirecTV, allow you to connect to your computer over your home network. There are also video cards out there with different connections that you might be able to buy and convert. My old desktop had the standard red, white, yellow, and S-Video.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users