PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Windows Live Mail - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Live Mail Unable to copy and paste . . .

#1 User is offline   BushPilot 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 02-September 09
  • Location:Lake Worth, Florida

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

Along with my new WINDOWS 7 came Windows Live Mail. It accepts attachments without a problem. At times, however, it is required that I include separate materials within the body of the e-mail itself. In AOL, I am easily able to copy and paste to the body of the e-mail. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste with Windows live Mail. Anyone out there who can help me? Or is this simplyy a lost cause . . . ?

This post has been edited by BushPilot: 06 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

0

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hi. If it is text, I highlight it then right click to copy. I then paste to the body of the email. This works in both XP & Vista and should with Win7. As for pistures, I just right clicl and save to "My Pictures". I just use Share Pictures to include then within the body of the email.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

View PostBushPilot, on 06 April 2010 - 05:27 AM, said:

Along with my new WINDOWS 7 came Windows Live Mail. It accepts attachments without a problem. At times, however, it is required that I include separate materials within the body of the e-mail itself. In AOL, I am easily able to copy and paste to the body of the e-mail. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste with Windows live Mail. Anyone out there who can help me? Or is this simplyy a lost cause . . . ?

Hi, BushPilot.

Would you mind explaining this in more detail. I'm not following what you're trying to do and what Windows Live Mail isn't letting you do.

btw, Windows Live Mail doesn't come with Windows 7. It's a free download that works with XP, Vista, and Win7.

Lincoln
0

#4 User is offline   Car54 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,333
  • Joined: 16-November 06
  • Location:Witness Protection Program

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hi BushPilot, try this, in a new message look for this:

http://i240.photobuc...smailphoto1.png

In which case you will be able to add a picture, and "edit" it with the options that will open up to you when you insert the picture:

http://i240.photobuc...wsmailphoto.png
0

#5 User is offline   BushPilot 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 02-September 09
  • Location:Lake Worth, Florida

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 06 April 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostBushPilot, on 06 April 2010 - 05:27 AM, said:

Along with my new WINDOWS 7 came Windows Live Mail. It accepts attachments without a problem. At times, however, it is required that I include separate materials within the body of the e-mail itself. In AOL, I am easily able to copy and paste to the body of the e-mail. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste with Windows live Mail. Anyone out there who can help me? Or is this simplyy a lost cause . . . ?

Hi, BushPilot.

Would you mind explaining this in more detail. I'm not following what you're trying to do and what Windows Live Mail isn't letting you do.

btw, Windows Live Mail doesn't come with Windows 7. It's a free download that works with XP, Vista, and Win7.

Lincoln


Hi, Lincoln,

My computer isn't one that's available off-the-shelf. A local computer shop built it for me, and must have loaded Windows Live Mail without asking or advising me. I formerly used OUTLOOK, and was satisfied with it, but it's gone and I'm not sure how to get a free download of that. My AOL works well for me, but I'm a writer and sometimes must "Attach" several hundred pages. Which AOL won't accept! That's why I sometimes need to insert files onto an body of the e-mail. I AM able to do that with AOL, but that then leaves me waiting an industry response to arrive via AOL, when I seldom use that service. The AOL account has a nifty "save to" feature, while Windows Live Mail does not. That's too bad! Still, I would rather NOT depend upon AOL for several reasons. Anyway, that's my plight.

"Car54" has given me a good clue, but my screen doesn't look like the screen his answer portrays. "Coastie" has offered a fix, and I haven't tried that one yet. I will do that in a few more minutes. Meanwhile, you now know both my problem and the reasons for it.
0

#6 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

View PostBushPilot, on 07 April 2010 - 05:24 AM, said:

View PostLincolnSpector, on 06 April 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostBushPilot, on 06 April 2010 - 05:27 AM, said:

Along with my new WINDOWS 7 came Windows Live Mail. It accepts attachments without a problem. At times, however, it is required that I include separate materials within the body of the e-mail itself. In AOL, I am easily able to copy and paste to the body of the e-mail. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste with Windows live Mail. Anyone out there who can help me? Or is this simplyy a lost cause . . . ?

Hi, BushPilot.

Would you mind explaining this in more detail. I'm not following what you're trying to do and what Windows Live Mail isn't letting you do.

btw, Windows Live Mail doesn't come with Windows 7. It's a free download that works with XP, Vista, and Win7.

Lincoln


Hi, Lincoln,

My computer isn't one that's available off-the-shelf. A local computer shop built it for me, and must have loaded Windows Live Mail without asking or advising me. I formerly used OUTLOOK, and was satisfied with it, but it's gone and I'm not sure how to get a free download of that.


Was it Outlook or Outlook Express that you were using?

Outlook is NOT free. It is a product that you must purchase. You will typically get it when you purchase Microsoft Office, but you can purchase it alone.

Outlook Express was a free email client that came with Windows XP (and earlier versions of Windows). It has nominally been replaced by Windows Live Mail.

Quote

My AOL works well for me, but I'm a writer and sometimes must "Attach" several hundred pages. Which AOL won't accept! That's why I sometimes need to insert files onto an body of the e-mail. I AM able to do that with AOL, but that then leaves me waiting an industry response to arrive via AOL, when I seldom use that service. The AOL account has a nifty "save to" feature, while Windows Live Mail does not. That's too bad! Still, I would rather NOT depend upon AOL for several reasons. Anyway, that's my plight.


It is still not clear to me what you are trying to do.

Are you just trying to copy and paste a bunch of text (i.e. several hundred pages worth) into an email message?

Or are you trying to create an email message that has "embedded" pictures that are displayed as part of the message itself, much like a pictures in a magazine article?
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#7 User is offline   BushPilot 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 02-September 09
  • Location:Lake Worth, Florida

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

View Postsmax013, on 07 April 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:

View PostBushPilot, on 07 April 2010 - 05:24 AM, said:

Hi, Lincoln,

My computer isn't one that's available off-the-shelf. A local computer shop built it for me, and must have loaded Windows Live Mail without asking or advising me. I formerly used OUTLOOK, and was satisfied with it, but it's gone and I'm not sure how to get a free download of that.


Was it Outlook or Outlook Express that you were using?

Outlook is NOT free. It is a product that you must purchase. You will typically get it when you purchase Microsoft Office, but you can purchase it alone.

Outlook Express was a free email client that came with Windows XP (and earlier versions of Windows). It has nominally been replaced by Windows Live Mail.

Quote

My AOL works well for me, but I'm a writer and sometimes must "Attach" several hundred pages. Which AOL won't accept! That's why I sometimes need to insert files onto an body of the e-mail. I AM able to do that with AOL, but that then leaves me waiting an industry response to arrive via AOL, when I seldom use that service. The AOL account has a nifty "save to" feature, while Windows Live Mail does not. That's too bad! Still, I would rather NOT depend upon AOL for several reasons. Anyway, that's my plight.


It is still not clear to me what you are trying to do.

Are you just trying to copy and paste a bunch of text (i.e. several hundred pages worth) into an email message?


YEP!

Quote

Or are you trying to create an email message that has "embedded" pictures that are displayed as part of the message itself, much like a pictures in a magazine article?


Later, maybe.

Thanx!

This post has been edited by smax013: 07 April 2010 - 07:53 AM
Reason for edit: Fixed quote tags

0

#8 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

View PostBushPilot, on 07 April 2010 - 07:37 AM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 07 April 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:



It is still not clear to me what you are trying to do.

Are you just trying to copy and paste a bunch of text (i.e. several hundred pages worth) into an email message?


YEP!



You should be able to do this with Windows Live Mail by using the "paste" command from the Edit menu (it looks like it has an Edit menu) or Command-V on the keyboard. You will first have to have your "several hundred pages" open in your word processor, highlight them, and copy then with the "copy" command in the Edit menu (or Command-C).

Now, I have to admit that I am curious as to why you cannot just attach a word processor (or text editor) document to the email as an attachment but rather have to "include" the text in the body of the message. I would think that submitting writings in that manner would not be desirable from the person receiving them. I would think they would want "manuscripts" in some word processor type file. But, then I have no clue what I am talking about as even thinking about writing something that has hundreds of pages gives me hives! ;)
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#9 User is offline   BushPilot 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 02-September 09
  • Location:Lake Worth, Florida

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:56 AM

View Postsmax013, on 07 April 2010 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostBushPilot, on 07 April 2010 - 07:37 AM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 07 April 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:



It is still not clear to me what you are trying to do.

Are you just trying to copy and paste a bunch of text (i.e. several hundred pages worth) into an email message?


YEP!



You should be able to do this with Windows Live Mail by using the "paste" command from the Edit menu (it looks like it has an Edit menu) or Command-V on the keyboard. You will first have to have your "several hundred pages" open in your word processor, highlight them, and copy then with the "copy" command in the Edit menu (or Command-C).

Now, I have to admit that I am curious as to why you cannot just attach a word processor (or text editor) document to the email as an attachment but rather have to "include" the text in the body of the message. I would think that submitting writings in that manner would not be desirable from the person receiving them. I would think they would want "manuscripts" in some word processor type file. But, then I have no clue what I am talking about as even thinking about writing something that has hundreds of pages gives me hives! ;)


Hi smax013,

I have no FILE, EDIT, TOOLS, or any other of the "standards" on my e-mail bars. I can "ATTACH" documents to my AOL e-mail, but I am limited to the number of pages I can attach. Some publishers/editors/agents request that such thngs as "PROPOSALS", and even full manuscripts, be included in the body of the e-mail itself. They will not trouble themselves to open attachments. Some want the full manuscript on a CD, others want the full, printed, double-spaced manuscript sent via snail mail. Each seems to have a different set of requirements.

I can usually attach a manuscript by simply atrtaching its folder or file, rather than highlighting and then attaching four hundred couble-spaced pages. My problem remains: I need sometimes to include a number of typewritten pages in the body of the e-mail.

I'll try the Command-C and advise . . . . .

Thanks
0

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

I think most have some kind of limitation on attached file size. It would probably be helpful to consider sending then as compressed files. This would mean that the receiver would have to have a method to uncompress them once received.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#11 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

View PostBushPilot, on 08 April 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

Hi smax013,

I have no FILE, EDIT, TOOLS, or any other of the "standards" on my e-mail bars.


Strange. All the screenshots I have seen of Windows Live Mail shows such menus (I do not have it installed myself).

Regardless, the Command-C and Command V (or right clicking) should still work.

Quote

I can "ATTACH" documents to my AOL e-mail, but I am limited to the number of pages I can attach.


Just to make sure we are on the same page, when you say attach, do you mean attaching a separate document to the email message? Or do you mean that AOL is kind of "importing" in the text of the document and placing that text directly in the email message? Something you said earlier kind of implied the latter.

Quote

Some publishers/editors/agents request that such thngs as "PROPOSALS", and even full manuscripts, be included in the body of the e-mail itself. They will not trouble themselves to open attachments. Some want the full manuscript on a CD, others want the full, printed, double-spaced manuscript sent via snail mail. Each seems to have a different set of requirements.


I understand. I have to admit that I am kind of amazed that some want a full manuscript in the body of the email message...but, hey...they want what they want. :D

Quote

I can usually attach a manuscript by simply atrtaching its folder or file, rather than highlighting and then attaching four hundred couble-spaced pages. My problem remains: I need sometimes to include a number of typewritten pages in the body of the e-mail.

I'll try the Command-C and advise . . . . .

Thanks


The only way that I know to "insert" a bunch of text into an email message is to highlight that text, copy it, and then paste it into the message. There may be some email clients/systems that might be able to "import" the text from a separate file directly into the body of an email message, but I have not encountered such an ability. Maybe someone else has.
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#12 User is offline   AgentF 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 22-March 10
  • Location:localhost

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

View PostBushPilot, on 08 April 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

I have no FILE, EDIT, TOOLS, or any other of the "standards" on my e-mail bars.

Near the upper-right corner of Windows Live Mail, there are three icons: Launch the colorizer, Menus, and Help. Click the Menus button and then click Show Menu Bar. That will put back the File, Edit, Tools, etc. menus.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.
0

#13 User is offline   BushPilot 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 02-September 09
  • Location:Lake Worth, Florida

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:54 AM

View PostAgentF, on 08 April 2010 - 11:19 AM, said:

View PostBushPilot, on 08 April 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

I have no FILE, EDIT, TOOLS, or any other of the "standards" on my e-mail bars.

Near the upper-right corner of Windows Live Mail, there are three icons: Launch the colorizer, Menus, and Help. Click the Menus button and then click Show Menu Bar. That will put back the File, Edit, Tools, etc. menus.


MARVELOUS! My, how easy it seems when you know what you're doing! Which I clearly don't. On the other hand, if you ever want to fly into 300' to 500' strips with a bush plane, I'm your guy! Thanks for the clue about the icons and the menu bar. It works - - - - - of course . . .
0

#14 User is offline   BushPilot 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 02-September 09
  • Location:Lake Worth, Florida

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:59 AM

View Postsmax013, on 08 April 2010 - 08:18 AM, said:

View PostBushPilot, on 08 April 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

Hi smax013,

I have no FILE, EDIT, TOOLS, or any other of the "standards" on my e-mail bars.


Strange. All the screenshots I have seen of Windows Live Mail shows such menus (I do not have it installed myself).

Regardless, the Command-C and Command V (or right clicking) should still work.

Quote

I can "ATTACH" documents to my AOL e-mail, but I am limited to the number of pages I can attach.


Just to make sure we are on the same page, when you say attach, do you mean attaching a separate document to the email message? Or do you mean that AOL is kind of "importing" in the text of the document and placing that text directly in the email message? Something you said earlier kind of implied the latter.

Quote

Some publishers/editors/agents request that such thngs as "PROPOSALS", and even full manuscripts, be included in the body of the e-mail itself. They will not trouble themselves to open attachments. Some want the full manuscript on a CD, others want the full, printed, double-spaced manuscript sent via snail mail. Each seems to have a different set of requirements.


I understand. I have to admit that I am kind of amazed that some want a full manuscript in the body of the email message...but, hey...they want what they want. :D

Quote

I can usually attach a manuscript by simply atrtaching its folder or file, rather than highlighting and then attaching four hundred couble-spaced pages. My problem remains: I need sometimes to include a number of typewritten pages in the body of the e-mail.

I'll try the Command-C and advise . . . . .

Thanks


The only way that I know to "insert" a bunch of text into an email message is to highlight that text, copy it, and then paste it into the message. There may be some email clients/systems that might be able to "import" the text from a separate file directly into the body of an email message, but I have not encountered such an ability. Maybe someone else has.



Hi Smax013. AgentF bailed me out, in a sense. The reason I couldn't highlight-copy-paste into the body of an e-mail was because I didn't have the Menu Bar that allowed that ministration. I had it with AOL, but it was missing from Windows Live Mail. I now have it, and should be able to manipulate my texts as necessary.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!!
0

#15 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

View PostBushPilot, on 13 April 2010 - 03:59 AM, said:


Hi Smax013. AgentF bailed me out, in a sense. The reason I couldn't highlight-copy-paste into the body of an e-mail was because I didn't have the Menu Bar that allowed that ministration. I had it with AOL, but it was missing from Windows Live Mail. I now have it, and should be able to manipulate my texts as necessary.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!!


Having the menus present certainly makes it easier, but you should have still be able to highlight-copy-paste by using either keystroke commands (Control-C to copy, Control-V to paste, Control-X to cut, and Control-Z usually is undo) or using the right-click to pull up a pop-up menu with copy & paste commands.

Personally, I use the keystoke commands all the time...but that is a habit that I picked up a LONG, LONG time ago...from my use of Macs (the keystrokes a slightly different on a Mac...Command-C, Command-V, etc). Those keystroke commands for copy, paste, and cut are pretty much universal, if not completely universal, from program to program on Windows (and the Mac).
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#16 User is offline   AgentF 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 22-March 10
  • Location:localhost

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

I'm glad I was able to help. =)
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users