Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Avast Unable To Start Scan In Safe Mode

#1 User is offline   Euclides 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

I've received a computer to work on that is was so loaded with spyware/malware/ and whatever else you can think of. It hadn't had any working avtivirus or anti-spyware programs for at least the last three years as far as I can tell. The only firewall used was the Windows XP (Home) firewall.

I've installed and run Avast, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. Initial scans found over 800 adware anomalies and over 900 virus/trojan instances. I seem to have most of the junk cleaned out but some still keeps coming back. I've checked for rootkits and none have been found. I can do scans with all the programs without any problems from the desktop but while in Safe Mode can only use SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. I can run Avast in boot mode but not in Safe Mode.

I get a popup while in Safe Mode saying "Unable to start scan.
"There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper"

The version of Avast I'm using is 5.0.462 with the latest definitions.

I've searched the Internet for that particular phrase and get nothing so the question is; Is this being caused by malware or is it a bug in Avast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, I've used Hijack This too.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might want t try this: http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   Euclides 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 06 April 2010 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might want t try this: http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've yet to try Kaspersky on line too.

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

Hi Euclides :

Concerning Avast : You seemed to have asked that
same Question as "feather007" on the Avast Support
Forums on Mar 5 and was informed by the Global
Moderator "Vlk" :

"Unfortunately it's not possible to run an avast scan in Safe Mode (unless you have the paid edition in which you can use the command-line scanner, ashCmd.exe, which works even in Safe Mode).

Anyway, try using the avast Boot-time Scan. It should give better results than scanning from Safe Mode anyway. "

Edit : Usually when a computer is that infected, it is wise to simply "flatten & reinstall", according to the advice given by malware-fighter and Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Bill Castner at http://aumha.net/vie...hp?f=26&t=28580 .

This post has been edited by SpiritWind: 06 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

View PostSpiritWind, on 06 April 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

Hi Euclides :

Concerning Avast : You seemed to have asked that
same Question as "feather007" on the Avast Support
Forums on Mar 5 and was informed by the Global
Moderator "Vlk" :

"Unfortunately it's not possible to run an avast scan in Safe Mode (unless you have the paid edition in which you can use the command-line scanner, ashCmd.exe, which works even in Safe Mode).

Anyway, try using the avast Boot-time Scan. It should give better results than scanning from Safe Mode anyway. "

Edit : Usually when a computer is that infected, it is wise to simply "flatten & reinstall", according to the advice given by malware-fighter and Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Bill Castner at http://aumha.net/vie...hp?f=26&t=28580 .

Yeah, it looks like a reformat and reinstall is needed in this case, but I thought Dr.Web Cureit couldn't hurt. I remember one case I had sometime back ( a couple of years I guess), I ran a host of apps and pretty much had things in hand. As it turned out, I had two entries in processes and one in the registry, I had to remove manually, that were left.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

View PostSpiritWind, on 06 April 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

Usually when a computer is that infected, it is wise to simply "flatten & reinstall",

Sorry to hit you with this a third time but I was thinking the same thing.
I'd be freaked out over all this variety of infection and duration of a compromised pc.
Plus as you know you'll run better with a fresh install.

Hopefully you have all you need if you want to do it.

Rommel

#7 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

Hey Euclides!!

Could you post the initial scan of MalwareBytes' and the Last HjT scan in you next reply.

Spirit has taken the words out of my mouth, Flatten and Pave seems appropriate at this

stage but, post those scans and we will have a better idea of your next step.

I the mean time, try this Rootkit scanner : http://esagelab.com/projects/ . Make sure to

read the text accompanying this scanner, for possible known false positives IF you get

them detected while scanning. This scanner is for 32bit OS from 2000 to 7 ONLY.

As for DrWeb. I would recommend a FULL scan of the afflicted PC.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users