Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monitor Now Saying No Signal From Laptop

#1 User is offline   Pamark 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

After having had a monitor connected to my Sony Vaio Laptop for a couple of years and working perfectly, suddenly I am getting the message 'No Signal' on the monitor. I checked the monitor with an old desktop PC and it works fine. It seemed to freeze one day when I was changing the desktop. Any ideas? Thanks

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

View PostPamark, on 07 April 2010 - 04:42 PM, said:

After having had a monitor connected to my Sony Vaio Laptop for a couple of years and working perfectly, suddenly I am getting the message 'No Signal' on the monitor. I checked the monitor with an old desktop PC and it works fine. It seemed to freeze one day when I was changing the desktop. Any ideas? Thanks

Do you still have an image on the Laptop's Monitor? If so and you ahve an extra cable that runs from the Laptop Tpo Monitor, try that one and see if you get a signal. If you have an image on the Laptop monitor, than in all likelyhood it is the Graphics Chipset ( Possibly drivers).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   Pamark 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 07 April 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

Do you still have an image on the Laptop's Monitor? If so and you ahve an extra cable that runs from the Laptop Tpo Monitor, try that one and see if you get a signal. If you have an image on the Laptop monitor, than in all likelyhood it is the Graphics Chipset ( Possibly drivers).

The laptop is still running fine with an image on it I don't have another cable I could try, but that cable worked fine plugged into the old computer. Looks like it may be the other things then.... any idea how to check? Or does it require a professional now.
Thanks

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

Ok. It could be that the monitor was lost for whatever reason ( It wouldn't show up in the Device Manager and I believe it should ). I am reasonably sure, the monitor should be plugged in BEFORE booting the computer, so that it will be "seen" on post.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Many laptops have to be set up to see an external monitor, and apparently your Sony was configured that way originally. During the "freeze" you mentioned the settings may have reverted to laptop screen only.
This may help: right-click anywhere on the desktop. One of the options you should see on the context menu that pops up is graphics output (or words to that effect, I'm not at my laptop at the moment). You should see an option for outputting to laptop only, monitor only, both, etc., which will allow you to see if the monitor is still checked as one of the display devices.
Also, on my Toshiba I can cycle through display options by holding down the function key and pressing the f5 key repeatedly (I've seen different function keys used on different brands, but all the laptops I've worked with have this function).
Worth a try anyway. :)
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users