PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Pc Keeps Trying To Install Smartwebprinting.msi? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pc Keeps Trying To Install Smartwebprinting.msi? Make it stop!

#1 User is offline   AnotherBoomer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hi all.

I have an HP Pavilion and a Canon PIXMA MX700 printer. I used them together for a long time with no problems.

But now, whenever I go to a new website, a Windows Installer window opens up to install something called "WebSmartPrinting." It then says that an .msi file is missing. I don't have a disk, so I don't know what they want me to do. Way back when I originally got the original desktop, I had to make my own system restore disks (thanks a LOT, HP!) but I don't want to resort to them if I don't have to.

Also my internet speed seems to have slowed down ever since the SmartWeb thing started to appear. I can still print and access the internet, but this is a real annoyance.

What is SmartWebPrinter.msi and why is my PC doing this to me.

Also, my desktop is a replacement and when it has 2 USB 2.0 ports that don't seem to be recognized by the computer when I try to use them. I'm hooked up to a monitor, printer and 2 external hard drives. I'm tired of having to disconnect the printer to update my iPod! Is the iPod not being recognized because I'm overburdening the PC?

Thanks as always for any help you may be able to give!

#2 User is offline   Grr8008 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

This should help a bit with your first question: http://h30434.www3.h...-msi/m-p/233054

http://www.windowsbb...-add-error.html
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:46 AM

View PostAnotherBoomer, on 14 April 2010 - 01:02 PM, said:

Also, my desktop is a replacement and when it has 2 USB 2.0 ports that don't seem to be recognized by the computer when I try to use them. I'm hooked up to a monitor, printer and 2 external hard drives. I'm tired of having to disconnect the printer to update my iPod! Is the iPod not being recognized because I'm overburdening the PC?

If you want more USB ports, you have two basic options:

1) Make use of a USB hub. With an iPod, you will likely want that hub to be "self powered" hub (i.e. one that comes with a power adapter that plugs into a wall plug) rather than a "bus powered" hub.

2) Buy a USB PCI card.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:54 AM

Since it is only two of the ports that don't seem to be recognized, are they the ones on the front panel?

You might open the case and see if the USB cable from the front panel to the MB has become disconnected (if it's the front panel USB ports acting up).
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   AnotherBoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

View PostGrr8008, on 14 April 2010 - 07:00 PM, said:

This should help a bit with your first question: http://h30434.www3.h...-msi/m-p/233054

http://www.windowsbb...-add-error.html

Thank you. But my PC won't let me uninstall SmartWebPrinting! It's in the list of programs but nothing happens when I click the "change/remove" button.

I went to the HP link you provided, but it says I don't have a password, so now I have to go through the hassle of registering to fix something that shouldn't be happening in the first place. God, I hate HP. NEVER AGAIN!

#6 User is offline   AnotherBoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

View Postrgreen4, on 16 April 2010 - 03:54 AM, said:

Since it is only two of the ports that don't seem to be recognized, are they the ones on the front panel?

You might open the case and see if the USB cable from the front panel to the MB has become disconnected (if it's the front panel USB ports acting up).

Hi and thank you! It IS the two front ports that don't work. And I did notice a while back that the cover on front of the desktop seemed to be coming off. I pushed it back in but maybe things are misaligned so I'll check again.

If not I'll have to get a hub.

Thanks to all who offered solutions!

#7 User is offline   AnotherBoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

View Postrgreen4, on 16 April 2010 - 03:54 AM, said:

How much technical expertise do I need to do this? I'm unfamiliar with the guts of a computer and how things should look. Maybe I should take it back to the shop. Thanks again.

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

View PostAnotherBoomer, on 22 April 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

Thank you. But my PC won't let me uninstall SmartWebPrinting! It's in the list of programs but nothing happens when I click the "change/remove" button.

I went to the HP link you provided, but it says I don't have a password, so now I have to go through the hassle of registering to fix something that shouldn't be happening in the first place. God, I hate HP. NEVER AGAIN!

You can download Revo Uninstaller and see if it will uninstall the program. If you are running the 32bit version of Windows (I don't recall you saying which version you have) then it will run. If that does not help, try Ccleaner to remove it. What you apparently have is a partially installed application and those are very problematic as they will not remove with the normal Windows add/remove and refuse in many cases to allow the installation of a more recent version or a reinstall of itself.

If either your printer or your PC is less than a year old, then you should contact HP Technical Support if the above two removal programs don't work.

As to the inner workings of the PC, simply remove the side panel and see if there are any loose wires that don't connect anywhere. If there are, post back.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   AnotherBoomer 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

View Postrgreen4, on 23 April 2010 - 05:46 AM, said:

You can download Revo Uninstaller and see if it will uninstall the program. If you are running the 32bit version of Windows (I don't recall you saying which version you have) then it will run. If that does not help, try Ccleaner to remove it. What you apparently have is a partially installed application and those are very problematic as they will not remove with the normal Windows add/remove and refuse in many cases to allow the installation of a more recent version or a reinstall of itself.

If either your printer or your PC is less than a year old, then you should contact HP Technical Support if the above two removal programs don't work.

As to the inner workings of the PC, simply remove the side panel and see if there are any loose wires that don't connect anywhere. If there are, post back.

OK, I will. Thank you!

#10 User is offline   StarrFire 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

Hi all.

I have an HP Pavilion and a Canon PIXMA MX700 printer. I used them together for a long time with no problems.

But now, whenever I go to a new website, a Windows Installer window opens up to install something called "WebSmartPrinting." It then says that an .msi file is missing. I don't have a disk, so I don't know what they want me to do. Way back when I originally got the original desktop, I had to make my own system restore disks (thanks a LOT, HP!) but I don't want to resort to them if I don't have to.

Also my internet speed seems to have slowed down ever since the SmartWeb thing started to appear. I can still print and access the internet, but this is a real annoyance.

#11 User is offline   joyceparrott 

• Pip

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

I also keep getting these "pop-ups" from smartwebprinting trying to install. After clicking on everything 3 times they stop for that session but continue each time I log on. Have gone to Control Panel and removed program. Why am I still seeing these irritating windows and how can I stop it.

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

View Postjoyceparrott, on 11 September 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

I also keep getting these "pop-ups" from smartwebprinting trying to install. After clicking on everything 3 times they stop for that session but continue each time I log on. Have gone to Control Panel and removed program. Why am I still seeing these irritating windows and how can I stop it.

Hi Joyce and welcome to the forums. It would be best if you started your own thread on this rather than piggy backing on another. You are more likely to receive more assistance. Anyway, try www.CCleaner.com and run it. Also run run the second option ( Registry ), but be sure to save the registry filles when asked before fixing.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#13 User is offline   aseminolelady 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

If you are using an hp printer, take the cd that came with it and when the screen comes up , chose install more software.This should stop the *SmartWEbPrinting* error from reappearing.At least it did for me.
Good luck.
PS : just going to HP site and installing/activating SmartWebPrinting did NOT work for me.It may or maynot work for you .

#14 User is offline   aseminolelady 

• Pip

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

View PostAnotherBoomer, on 23 April 2010 - 07:17 AM, said:

OK, I will. Thank you!

#15 User is offline   aseminolelady 

• Pip

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

View Postaseminolelady, on 20 October 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostAnotherBoomer, on 23 April 2010 - 07:17 AM, said:

OK, I will. Thank you!

all you have to do is put in cd that came with your hp printer and when screen comes up chose to install more software.this will stop the SmartWebPrinting error.

#16 User is offline   aseminolelady 

• Pip

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

[quote name='AnotherBoomer' timestamp='1271278953' post='344286']
Hi all.

[/quote]

If you are using an hp printer, take the cd that came with it and when the screen comes up , chose install more software.This should stop the *SmartWEbPrinting* error from reappearing.At least it did for me.
Good luck.
PS : just going to HP site and installing/activating SmartWebPrinting did NOT work for me.It may or maynot work for you .

[quote name='aseminolelady' timestamp='1319162056' post='543232']
[quote name='AnotherBoomer' timestamp='1272035868' post='347961']
[quote name='rgreen4' date='23 April 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1272030416' post='347922']
[quote name='AnotherBoomer' date='22 April 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1271963803' post='347586']

[/quote]

You can download [url="http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html"]Revo Uninstaller[/url] and see if it will uninstall the program. If you are running the 32bit version of Windows (I don't recall you saying which version you have) then it will run. If that does not help, try [url="http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner"]Ccleaner[/url] to remove it. What you apparently have is a partially installed application and those are very problematic as they will not remove with the normal Windows add/remove and refuse in many cases to allow the installation of a more recent version or a reinstall of itself.

[/quote]

OK, I will. Thank you!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good luck.

[quote name='aseminolelady' timestamp='1319162056' post='543232']
[quote name='AnotherBoomer' timestamp='1272035868' post='347961']
[quote name='rgreen4' date='23 April 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1272030416' post='347922']
[quote name='AnotherBoomer' date='22 April 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1271963803' post='347586']

[/quote]

You can download [url="http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html"]Revo Uninstaller[/url] and see if it will uninstall the program. If you are running the 32bit version of Windows (I don't recall you saying which version you have) then it will run. If that does not help, try [url="http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner"]Ccleaner[/url] to remove it. What you apparently have is a partially installed application and those are very problematic as they will not remove with the normal Windows add/remove and refuse in many cases to allow the installation of a more recent version or a reinstall of itself.

[/quote]

OK, I will. Thank you!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good luck.

#17 User is offline   Shortstop 

• Pip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:05 AM

Perform the below steps and check for the result:

> Open IE

> Click Tools

> Click Manage add-ons

> Disable HP Smart BHO Class

> Click apply, then close and reopen IE to verify it worked

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1