Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't Access A Website

#1 User is offline   frankt316 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have tried for 2 days to access a website I have used frequently. Each time I try to access the website I get a message the internet can't the find web site. I went through all the steps in the message but still can't get to the website. I went to my daughters and used their computer. I was able to get on the website. What can I try to do to get to this website? I can access any other website but this one.

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

View Postfrankt316, on 18 April 2010 - 11:59 AM, said:

I have tried for 2 days to access a website I have used frequently. Each time I try to access the website I get a message the internet can't the find web site. I went through all the steps in the message but still can't get to the website. I went to my daughters and used their computer. I was able to get on the website. What can I try to do to get to this website? I can access any other website but this one.

Hey Frank !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

So, no access. Can you provide with which browser you are trying to get to this site ? don't forget the version.

Also, which OS (Operating System) you are using ? again , version .

Could we have the address or URL to that website IF it's not a personal query.

Have you tried it with another browser ?

Were the security programs the same at your Daughter's as is on your PC ?

FLASHORN.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   frankt316 

• Pip

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thanks Flashorn. I am computer challenged so I am answering as best as I can. I am using internet explorer with windows vista. The address is www.mikenchell.com. I don't know if the security settings were the same. My daughter uses windows XP though.

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

I don't think the OS is an issue as I was able to access it with Vista Home Premium ( pretty neat site by the way). It could be a browser issue, if your Daughter uses a different browser than you do. The big question is why it would just block the one site, or more to the point, fail to connect to the one site. Could be something in the server on that end.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

View Postfrankt316, on 18 April 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

Thanks Flashorn. I am computer challenged so I am answering as best as I can. I am using internet explorer with windows vista. The address is www.mikenchell.com. I don't know if the security settings were the same. My daughter uses windows XP though.

Hey Frank !!

OK, to see what version of Internet Explorer you are using, simply click on the HELP tab at the top left of the browser. Then click on ABOUT. This is what you should see :

Posted Image

I have just viewed your site and rendered perfectly in IE8 and Firefox. It might just be that the servers were down for repair or maitenance as coastie has suggested.

Internet Explorer :

Posted Image

Firefox :

Posted Image . You won't get the Blue color, that's because I'm using a Theme.

Have you tried it in another browser ?? I would recommend you install and use Firefox. Download and install from here :

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Give it a shot. You might just not use IE anymore.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

I am assuming that you and your daughter do not use the same Internet connection (you implied that you went over to her house). Is this true?

If so, it could be some issue with your Internet connection such as maybe your ISP's DNS server is "acting up".

Are you able to try a different computer with your Internet connection? For example, does your daughter or another relative or friend have a laptop they could bring over and try on your Internet connection?

Also, try using this URL: http://66.147.238.165

That should be the direct IP address for the site you listed. If that works, then that further suggests that it is a DNS issue.

This post has been edited by smax013: 18 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   frankt316 

• Pip

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

View Postfrankt316, on 19 April 2010 - 01:15 PM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 18 April 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

I am assuming that you and your daughter do not use the same Internet connection (you implied that you went over to her house). Is this true?

If so, it could be some issue with your Internet connection such as maybe your ISP's DNS server is "acting up".

Are you able to try a different computer with your Internet connection? For example, does your daughter or another relative or friend have a laptop they could bring over and try on your Internet connection?

Also, try using this URL: http://66.147.238.165

That should be the direct IP address for the site you listed. If that works, then that further suggests that it is a DNS issue.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier. I work nights and have a backwards day/night from the normal world. I tried everything you all have suggested. Nothing worked so I called my ISP. He told me to unplug the computer. After I plugged the computer back in I got on the website. This is something I should have known and done in the first place as it worked with my TV when I was having trouble with it. As I said in an earlier reply I am severely computer challenged. I would like to thank you for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

#8 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hey Frank !!

We appreciate you taking the time to give us what solution(s) worked for you.

When you say "Unplug the Computer",
did you actually have to unplug physically from the wall outlet or did the person from your ISP ask you to unplug the
modem or router from the electrical outlet. IF yes, then you simply re-booted the modem. This is a normal task and
we Should have thought of it. Seems we still have things to learn LOL !

If you have other queries or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#9 User is offline   frankt316 

• Pip

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

View PostFlashorn, on 19 April 2010 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hey Frank !!

We appreciate you taking the time to give us what solution(s) worked for you.

When you say "Unplug the Computer",
did you actually have to unplug physically from the wall outlet or did the person from your ISP ask you to unplug the
modem or router from the electrical outlet. IF yes, then you simply re-booted the modem. This is a normal task and
we Should have thought of it. Seems we still have things to learn LOL !

If you have other queries or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

FLASHORN.

Flashorn Yes I had to physically unplug the computer from the wall. You don't have near as much to learn as me. It took me about 10 minutes to try and reply to you. I still don't know how I sent the first reply. lol Hopefully this will be sent. Thanks again.

#10 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hey Frank !!

Yes, it's sometimes confusing. This is a new forum format and we ALL had learn how to use it.

When you start a discussion or new thread (a new topic is called a thread), your question will be at the top.
Consequent answers will be done by either using the Reply button at the bottom of the first question

Posted Image

and this will " " quote automatically the question. All you have to do is start your answer by typing Below the last [/quote]

Posted Image

OR, if you don't want Any quotes to appear in your answer for whatever reason, you simply have to click on the "ADD REPLY" button
in RED at the bottom or the very top of the thread :

Posted Image

Hope this will make it easier for you the next time you have a question OR maybe you would like to contribute some of your experiences.

How are we to learn if no one shares.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

View Postfrankt316, on 19 April 2010 - 01:25 PM, said:

Sorry I haven't replied earlier. I work nights and have a backwards day/night from the normal world. I tried everything you all have suggested. Nothing worked so I called my ISP. He told me to unplug the computer. After I plugged the computer back in I got on the website. This is something I should have known and done in the first place as it worked with my TV when I was having trouble with it. As I said in an earlier reply I am severely computer challenged. I would like to thank you for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

Not a problem.

With that solution, it definitely sounds like it was an Internet connection issue. That could have messed up your DNS connection since you were still able to get to some sites.

Just out of curiosity, did you try clicking the link that I provide that used the direct IP address of website while you were still having the problem? If it was just a DNS issue, then it should have worked. If it was a more general ISP connection issue, then it would not have worked.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#12 User is offline   ramson 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

am responsible for maintaining my kids’ swim team website, which is hosted by one of those ‘complete’ systems that provides the basic framework for its pages, and gives you only one of those annoying rinky dink html editors to work with. Mostly I would just like to be able to create tables and/or columns (to place graphics where i want them, etc.) within the allowed space, possibly using background colors to differentiate. I do NOT want to have to code this by hand (because I don’t want to be driven crazy by my own typos), and would like to be able to do something like I used to be able to do with Dreamweaver - create the content in its wysiwyg editor, then view and copy the source code to paste into the online editor on our swim site. (can’t afford to upgrade DW for my current OS)

This post has been edited by coastie65: 21 February 2011 - 06:28 AM

#13 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi, You may wish to start your own topic on this. You have a better chance of getting some help than you would by piggy backing on another topic.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users