PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How To Access Built In Webcam On Hp Notebook - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Access Built In Webcam On Hp Notebook

#1 User is offline   pcworldpaulb 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 28-April 10

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:50 AM

since upgrading to win 7 from vista which was originally installed on my hp pavilion notebook, i can't directly access the webcam to snap pictures or record a video. Does anyone know how to "turn on" the webcam, other than using messaging programs etc. where it works as intended?
0

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 28 April 2010 - 04:50 AM, said:

since upgrading to win 7 from vista which was originally installed on my hp pavilion notebook, i can't directly access the webcam to snap pictures or record a video. Does anyone know how to "turn on" the webcam, other than using messaging programs etc. where it works as intended?

Did you do an upgrade install or a clean one?

And have you checked with HP about drivers?

When I upgraded my Lenovo laptop to Win7 (I did a clean install), several hardware gadgets stopped working. I downloaded drivers from Lenovo's site and got them all working again (at least the ones I still wanted to work).

Lincoln
0

#3 User is offline   pcworldpaulb 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 28-April 10

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 28 April 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 28 April 2010 - 04:50 AM, said:

since upgrading to win 7 from vista which was originally installed on my hp pavilion notebook, i can't directly access the webcam to snap pictures or record a video. Does anyone know how to "turn on" the webcam, other than using messaging programs etc. where it works as intended?

Did you do an upgrade install or a clean one?

And have you checked with HP about drivers?

When I upgraded my Lenovo laptop to Win7 (I did a clean install), several hardware gadgets stopped working. I downloaded drivers from Lenovo's site and got them all working again (at least the ones I still wanted to work).

Lincoln

0

#4 User is offline   pcworldpaulb 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 28-April 10

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

the laptop came with vista and i did a 'clean install' of win 7...the original laptop configuration had a desktop icon to access the webcam among other things...that does not transfer over to win 7 according to HP... sure seems to me i should be able to just go to Explorer and find a webcam program somewhere i can just open??

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 30 April 2010 - 03:29 AM, said:

View PostLincolnSpector, on 28 April 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 28 April 2010 - 04:50 AM, said:

since upgrading to win 7 from vista which was originally installed on my hp pavilion notebook, i can't directly access the webcam to snap pictures or record a video. Does anyone know how to "turn on" the webcam, other than using messaging programs etc. where it works as intended?

Did you do an upgrade install or a clean one?

And have you checked with HP about drivers?

When I upgraded my Lenovo laptop to Win7 (I did a clean install), several hardware gadgets stopped working. I downloaded drivers from Lenovo's site and got them all working again (at least the ones I still wanted to work).

Lincoln


0

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 30 April 2010 - 03:33 AM, said:

the laptop came with vista and i did a 'clean install' of win 7...the original laptop configuration had a desktop icon to access the webcam among other things...that does not transfer over to win 7 according to HP... sure seems to me i should be able to just go to Explorer and find a webcam program somewhere i can just open??

You need the driver for the camera. It's almost certainly available from HP's web site. If they don't have a Win7 driver, the Vista one will probably work.

Lincoln
0

#6 User is offline   pcworldpaulb 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 28-April 10

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 03 May 2010 - 06:56 AM, said:

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 30 April 2010 - 03:33 AM, said:

the laptop came with vista and i did a 'clean install' of win 7...the original laptop configuration had a desktop icon to access the webcam among other things...that does not transfer over to win 7 according to HP... sure seems to me i should be able to just go to Explorer and find a webcam program somewhere i can just open??

You need the driver for the camera. It's almost certainly available from HP's web site. If they don't have a Win7 driver, the Vista one will probably work.

Lincoln



maybe i'm making this sound more complicated than it is?...but my original point was as stated above ("sure seems to me i should be able to just go to Explorer and find a webcam program somewhere i can just open??")
...and for now, since the camera DOES work in regular programs such as instant messaging, i'm assuming its functional already. i just want to know how to turn on the laptop and go directly to accessing the camera and take a photo or start a video, etc.....if that fails, i'll know its a hardware or software issue, THEN i'll do the driver search etc. that u suggest. thanks.

This post has been edited by smax013: 07 May 2010 - 05:58 AM
Reason for edit: Fixed quote tags

0

#7 User is offline   AgentF 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 22-March 10
  • Location:localhost

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 07 May 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

maybe i'm making this sound more complicated than it is?...but my original point was as stated above ("sure seems to me i should be able to just go to Explorer and find a webcam program somewhere i can just open??")
...and for now, since the camera DOES work in regular programs such as instant messaging, i'm assuming its functional already. i just want to know how to turn on the laptop and go directly to accessing the camera and take a photo or start a video, etc.....if that fails, i'll know its a hardware or software issue, THEN i'll do the driver search etc. that u suggest. thanks.

You should search for the manufacturer's driver for the particular device. Windows can often install a generic driver to utilize the basics of the device which is probably why your instant messenger program functions with it. By installing the manufacturer's driver, you'll be able to utilize the full functionality of the device. My webcam's driver came with a program that allows me to just snap programs and take videos, just like you described, so look for your driver.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.
0

#8 User is offline   pcworldpaulb 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 28-April 10

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:04 AM

View PostAgentF, on 11 May 2010 - 09:46 AM, said:

View Postpcworldpaulb, on 07 May 2010 - 05:56 AM, said:

maybe i'm making this sound more complicated than it is?...but my original point was as stated above ("sure seems to me i should be able to just go to Explorer and find a webcam program somewhere i can just open??")
...and for now, since the camera DOES work in regular programs such as instant messaging, i'm assuming its functional already. i just want to know how to turn on the laptop and go directly to accessing the camera and take a photo or start a video, etc.....if that fails, i'll know its a hardware or software issue, THEN i'll do the driver search etc. that u suggest. thanks.

You should search for the manufacturer's driver for the particular device. Windows can often install a generic driver to utilize the basics of the device which is probably why your instant messenger program functions with it. By installing the manufacturer's driver, you'll be able to utilize the full functionality of the device. My webcam's driver came with a program that allows me to just snap programs and take videos, just like you described, so look for your driver.


Thanks! will do that!
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users