PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How Can I Connect My Laptop To My Printer Wirelessly? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Can I Connect My Laptop To My Printer Wirelessly?

#1 User is offline   odoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my Windows 7 laptop to my Dell 810 printer wirelessly. This printer is hooked up to a machine running xp. Is there anyway I can do this?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

View Postodoc, on 03 May 2010 - 07:15 PM, said:

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my Windows 7 laptop to my Dell 810 printer wirelessly. This printer is hooked up to a machine running xp. Is there anyway I can do this?

Thanks!

Since the printer appears to be a USB printer, you will need to either purchase a printer server device to "put" the printer on the network or setup the Windows XP machine to share the printer across the network. In either case, if your laptop has wireless capability AND you have a wireless network setup, you should be able to then "attach" that printer as shared network printer and print to it wirelessly.

The first option could accomplished by a router that has a built in printer server function, a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive that has a printer server function built in, OR with a dedicated printer server device. The advantage of this approach is that you could print to the printer without having to leave the Windows XP computer on. The downside is that you would lose your ability to scan with the all-in-one printer...it needs to be connected to a computer for that.

The second option would not require any new hardware. You would just have to setup the Windows XP computer to share the printer and then setup the Windows 7 computer to use that shared network printer. The downside of this approach is that in order to print from the laptop, the Windows 7 computer (and the printer) would have to be powered up/on.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   odoc 

• PipPip

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hi, thanks for the input. Sorry I couldn't reply to this any sooner.

I have a D-link WBR - 1310 wireless router. How do i find out if this router has a built-in printer function?
If it doesn't, could you walk me through the second option?

Again, thanks.

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

It does not appear your router has a printer function. From the specs on the D-Link website the only connections on the back (besides power and antenna) are the WAN (Internet) and 4 LAN (Local Area Network) ethernet ports.

To share the printer, go to the printer folder on the XP machine (Start -> Printers and Faxes) and right click on the printer icon, and it should open a menu. Click on Sharing and then a dialog box will open. Then click on the box for Share this Printer and in the space provided give the printer a name. I use the make and model, some use the location or the name of the person who primarily uses it. Then click on OK.

A shared printer in the XP printer folder will have a hand under it.

On the Windows 7 machine if you want to just install it as a printer, not an All-In-One, you can go through the printer setup wizard. Be sure to indicate that the printer is a networked printer. If you want to use the All-In-One features, you need to download the appropriate (32 bit or 64 bit) driver from the Dell Website.

I am not familiar with the Dell driver setup, but the HP driver set up will set it up completely and you will not actually have to do anything in Windows itself.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users