Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cloning Hdd With Bad Sectors

#1 User is offline   nothamama0143 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

I am replacing my single HDD (which has bad sectors) with an identical warranty replacement.
I am planning on cloning the old drive to the new one with Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools version of Acronis True Image imaging software. I will be creating a boot CD from Acronis True Image and clone the drive from that disk.

WD says that there should be no problem doing this.

I am concerned, however, what will happen considering the bad sectors.

The old disk still boots and seems to run OK except for one program (Adobe Acrobat Reader) which is in the bad sectors.

I am not sure whether the bad sectors have been marked or not. When Adobe would not run, Windows message said “Bad Blocks”. Ran Windows Error checking (CHECK NOW) tool which tried to replace bad clusters (about a dozen or so). Uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe. Same problem. Did all this twice. Then ran WD's Data Lifeguard Tools Diagnostics which reported bad sectors. Sent report to WD who sent a replacement drive. As I said, I am not sure that the bad sectors were marked.

I am running Windows XP Professional (OEM version) on a Pentium III (1.1 GHz) processor with 512 MB RAM. The HDD is a 160 GIG, EIDE, NTFS with two partitions. My BIOS will not support the 160 GIG unless it is partitioned. Volume C: (84Gig) is everything, OS and Data. Volume D: (76Gig) is Windows Backup utility destination. I do have a Full backup on an ethernet networked computer.

Again, I am concerned about what to expect cloning from a drive with bad sectors.

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

View Postnothamama0143, on 11 May 2010 - 08:19 AM, said:

I am replacing my single HDD (which has bad sectors) with an identical warranty replacement.
I am planning on cloning the old drive to the new one with Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools version of Acronis True Image imaging software. I will be creating a boot CD from Acronis True Image and clone the drive from that disk.

WD says that there should be no problem doing this.

I am concerned, however, what will happen considering the bad sectors.

The old disk still boots and seems to run OK except for one program (Adobe Acrobat Reader) which is in the bad sectors.

I am not sure whether the bad sectors have been marked or not. When Adobe would not run, Windows message said “Bad Blocks”. Ran Windows Error checking (CHECK NOW) tool which tried to replace bad clusters (about a dozen or so). Uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe. Same problem. Did all this twice. Then ran WD's Data Lifeguard Tools Diagnostics which reported bad sectors. Sent report to WD who sent a replacement drive. As I said, I am not sure that the bad sectors were marked.

I am running Windows XP Professional (OEM version) on a Pentium III (1.1 GHz) processor with 512 MB RAM. The HDD is a 160 GIG, EIDE, NTFS with two partitions. My BIOS will not support the 160 GIG unless it is partitioned. Volume C: (84Gig) is everything, OS and Data. Volume D: (76Gig) is Windows Backup utility destination. I do have a Full backup on an ethernet networked computer.

Again, I am concerned about what to expect cloning from a drive with bad sectors.

Since the bad sectors in your hard drive are due to hardware and not software problems you aren't risking anything by cloning to the new hard drive, it won't be damaged. From what you've said it looks like you'll have to reinstall Adobe. How are you planning on partitioning the new drive?
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   nothamama0143 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

Thanks, compnovo,

I just planned on the same partitions as the old drive: Volume C: (84Gig) OS and Data. Volume D: (76Gig) Backup destination. I have read that it might be necessary to let Acronis change the size of the partitions a small amount so that it doesn't reject the clone process. The D: partition size is not that important to me.
And yes, I'm sure I will have to reinstall Adobe. I decided NOT to uninstall it until AFTER the clone so that it will actually uninstall and not have Windows try to tell me that it's already gone. I'm not really worried about that part though.

View Postcompnovo, on 11 May 2010 - 11:49 AM, said:

View Postnothamama0143, on 11 May 2010 - 08:19 AM, said:

Since the bad sectors in your hard drive are due to hardware and not software problems you aren't risking anything by cloning to the new hard drive, it won't be damaged. From what you've said it looks like you'll have to reinstall Adobe. How are you planning on partitioning the new drive?

#4 User is offline   nothamama0143 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for your reassurance, the clone was successful.

Using Acronis True Image for Western Digital from WD Data Lifeguard Tools:

Selected “Ignore All” during clone process when alerted to first Bad Sector.
Clone was successful (less than a half hour).
CHKDSK reported No Errors on new drive.
Successfully Uninstalled and Re-Installed broken Adobe program.

To help others here are more details of what I did.

Downloaded and Installed Acronis True Image for Western Digital from WD Data Lifeguard Tools.
Created a Boot CD from that program.
Booted to the CD, but the program did not see a Western Digital drive and would not continue (this version only works with WD drives).
Booted to Windows and ran the Clone program with no problem (it did see the WD drive).

When I connected the new drive, first I had set the jumper for “Slave”.
My BIOS recognized the new drive as Slave and the old drive as Master.
But the True Image program being run from the CD did not see the drive as Western Digital.
So I looked at the old drive jumper and saw it was set for “Cable Select”.
I set the new drive to Cable Select.
Again, the BIOS saw the old drive as Master and the new drive as Slave.
Note that these are EIDE drives.
As I suspected, the program on the CD still did not see a WD drive, even though the BIOS saw the drives correctly in both cases.
When I ran the program in Windows (not from the CD), it ran fine.

Now this old computer has only one hard drive drive bay. But the Cable does have two connectors. So when I connected the new drive, I just lay it down in the case. Worked with no problem.

Hope this helps others to save some time.

#5 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:12 AM

View Postnothamama0143, on 13 May 2010 - 04:18 AM, said:

Thanks for your reassurance, the clone was successful.

Using Acronis True Image for Western Digital from WD Data Lifeguard Tools:

Selected “Ignore All” during clone process when alerted to first Bad Sector.
Clone was successful (less than a half hour).
CHKDSK reported No Errors on new drive.
Successfully Uninstalled and Re-Installed broken Adobe program.

To help others here are more details of what I did.

Downloaded and Installed Acronis True Image for Western Digital from WD Data Lifeguard Tools.
Created a Boot CD from that program.
Booted to the CD, but the program did not see a Western Digital drive and would not continue (this version only works with WD drives).
Booted to Windows and ran the Clone program with no problem (it did see the WD drive).

When I connected the new drive, first I had set the jumper for “Slave”.
My BIOS recognized the new drive as Slave and the old drive as Master.
But the True Image program being run from the CD did not see the drive as Western Digital.
So I looked at the old drive jumper and saw it was set for “Cable Select”.
I set the new drive to Cable Select.
Again, the BIOS saw the old drive as Master and the new drive as Slave.
Note that these are EIDE drives.
As I suspected, the program on the CD still did not see a WD drive, even though the BIOS saw the drives correctly in both cases.
When I ran the program in Windows (not from the CD), it ran fine.

Now this old computer has only one hard drive drive bay. But the Cable does have two connectors. So when I connected the new drive, I just lay it down in the case. Worked with no problem.

Hope this helps others to save some time.

Glad to hear that everything worked out, and thanks for posting back with the info, it may help the next person with similar issues.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users