• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help With Dvd Player Cyberlink Power DVD DX controls

#1 User is offline   callahan83 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 with Windows Media Player 12. When I play a DVD, there doesn't appear to be any features except play,pause,back, and stop. I thought there should be access to photo capture, etc. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to whether or not I just need a codec, or have a stripped down version which was bundled on my new computer. It is Cyberlink Power DVD DX 8.31.

Any help would be great!

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

View Postcallahan83, on 12 May 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 with Windows Media Player 12. When I play a DVD, there doesn't appear to be any features except play,pause,back, and stop. I thought there should be access to photo capture, etc. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to whether or not I just need a codec, or have a stripped down version which was bundled on my new computer. It is Cyberlink Power DVD DX 8.31.

Any help would be great!

WMP12 in Windows 7 has the native ability to play DVD movies (but NOT blu ray movies) without 3rd party codecs, one of the nice improvements --- I use it all the time to play DVDs. However, it is a straightforward player and I have never seen features like you're describing (maybe I didn't dig deep enough?). Power DVD may have the extras you're looking for but won't add those features to WMP12. In fact, Power DVD isn't even needed unless your PC came with a blu ray player and you want to play BD disks.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   callahan83 

• Pip

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

View Postcompnovo, on 14 May 2010 - 06:46 AM, said:

Hi

Any help would be great!

WMP12 in Windows 7 has the native ability to play DVD movies (but NOT blu ray movies) without 3rd party codecs, one of the nice improvements --- I use it all the time to play DVDs. However, it is a straightforward player and I have never seen features like you're describing (maybe I didn't dig deep enough?). Power DVD may have the extras you're looking for but won't add those features to WMP12. In fact, Power DVD isn't even needed unless your PC came with a blu ray player and you want to play BD disks.

Thanks for your help. I didn't think I needed a codec, but couldn't figure it out.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi

Any help would be great!

Things like photo capture might not be allowed in some/many DVD players due to potential copyright issues. I know that Apple makes it a pain in the rear to do screen captures from their bundled DVD player. I am not sure if Microsoft does the same thing or not.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

I believe there are some third party apps out by Nvidia or Ati for video capture, at least with certain cards. I believe it came with teh 9800GT I have in here.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   callahan83 

• Pip

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have a 2003 laptop that came with Intervideo DVD and it has, among other features, image capture. I sometimes use them for wallpaper on my computer, but I understand about the copyright anxiety. I'm don't have much experience with these programs, and just thought that they all came with many features. Live and learn--and thanks for your comments.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users