Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

External Hard Drive Or Online Storage

#1 User is offline   bigben1213 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

My hard drive on my laptop is filled with pic's of my new baby. I need more space! What is the best option, external hard drive or online storage. What i've heard is that external hard drives are known to crash so should i buy 2 so if one crashes i have all my data until i can buy another to back that one up until it crashes, or is online storage the way to go? I've heard that online companies come and go without notice and if they go you loose everything! HELP PLEASE!

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

View Postbigben1213, on 25 May 2010 - 11:03 AM, said:

My hard drive on my laptop is filled with pic's of my new baby. I need more space! What is the best option, external hard drive or online storage. What i've heard is that external hard drives are known to crash so should i buy 2 so if one crashes i have all my data until i can buy another to back that one up until it crashes, or is online storage the way to go? I've heard that online companies come and go without notice and if they go you loose everything! HELP PLEASE!

Hi and welcome to the forums,
I still don't trust online storage after the dot com bust 10 years ago when a lot of those "free" services disappeared, and I don't consider myself a luddite. I have a network attached storage (NAS) device that we back up to, but with items as important as family pics I also burn them to DVD and store them for redundancy. My NAS is a simple SATA HDD enclosure with ethernet and USB ports (I use the ethernet port because it's a networked drive) but you can also buy fancy NASs with RAID setups that mirror data between two drives for safety, in case one of the drives fail. You're only limited by your budget :)
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

online storage is iffy... i would recommend an online photo gallery instead (with unlimited space like shutterfly)
if you want to try out online storage, Adrive.com has been around for a good while and seems to be growing...

but external hard drives have become more and more reliable over the years
i use them to store a second copy of important pictures, files, and music
the brand i use is Western Digital for the speed and reliability (and quietness)
the portable WD 640gb drive will keep your photos safe for years to come

This post has been edited by crazy4laptops: 25 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Even the experts started out as beginners

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

The key thing is make sure you have those important files stored in multiple "locations". Do not just store them in one place.

In theory, if you store them on some online service (whether a "photo gallery" service or a "online backup" service), they will back up those photos for you. But, you still have the problem of what if that online service goes "bye bye"...both the "originals" online and any backups that they made are gone.

So, if you do not have room to store them on the internal drive of the laptop and are going to move them to an external drive or some online service, then I suggest that you choose another place to store them such as the online service in addition the external drive or also burn them off to DVD (or CD) discs.

Personally, I do not like online storage. The first reason is a "practical" one...if you have a lot of data, then it can take a LONG time to backup/move that data to the online storage. Most residential broadband connections will have less than 2 Mbps for upload speeds. This means that uploading 1 GB of data could take more than an hour. So, if you have many GB of data, this can take a LONG time. The second reason is paranoia (yes, I admit it). I just frankly do not really trust online services with my personal data files for the most part.

But, that is just me. If neither of those to things bother or apply to you, then using an online service can be a good thing...just do NOT have it be the only place you have those pictures.

In the end, you have a number of choices.

If you do not want to upgrade the laptop drive to larger drive, then I would say get an external drive as your primarily location to store those photos...and then either back them up to an online service (whether a "gallery" service or a "backup" service...the advantage of a "gallery" service is that you could rather easily share those pictures with friends and family if you wanted...but if you do not want "everyone" to be able to see them, then make sure you use the proper settings to limit who can see the pictures) and/or another external hard drive and/or burn them to DVD/CD discs. The more additional places you have them stored, the more likely that you will never lose those pictures.

Your other option would be to upgrade the hard drive of the laptop to a larger drive. This would allow you to keep the pictures on the laptop. You would then still want to also store them on an external drive and/or online and/or DVD/CDs. Depending on the size of the current drive in the laptop, it is possible that after you remove the old drive from the laptop, you could put it in an external enclosure and use that old drive as your "backup" drive where you store only the pictures.

So, again, to me the key issue is not to store those pictures in just "one place".
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   cyberknight 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Online storage?? Dont waste ur time on that!
smax is right when he says about broadband limitations...2mbps is max speed.
By d way ur data should be safer with u than with some 2nd party.
If storage is what ur lookin for, all u need is a DVD writer & some blank dvd's (4.7GB).
U can even get dual-layer dvd's (8.5 GB) & they dont cost much. U can write all at once; may take some time depending on burning speed or use d multi-session mode.
U can expect most dvd writers to burn as fast as 10x (about 1.5mbps)
But finally u will have it with u...gives u d freedom to carry a light weight disk anywhere u wish & also saves time for downloading from some online storage!!
Lookin 4 trouble
U will never know what hit ya
Freakin Fast.... Cyber!!
-------------------------------
Laptop: Sony VAIO
i5-480M 2.67GHz (2.93GHz with Turbo Boost)
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1GB
4GB(2x2GB)RAM, DDR3 1066Mhz
500GB HDD (5400rpm)
15.5" LCD display
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#6 User is offline   cyberknight 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Hiii sorry about d speeds... there's a little mistake.
That 1.5 mbps was supposed to be for rewritable CD (provided ur CD supports it).
As for dual-dvd, dont bother buying them as d write speed will be dead slow, somewhere around 3-4 mbps.
Normal dvd's (4.7 GB) can be burned at 22 mbps or more, if u got a writer of that rating.
Lookin 4 trouble
U will never know what hit ya
Freakin Fast.... Cyber!!
-------------------------------
Laptop: Sony VAIO
i5-480M 2.67GHz (2.93GHz with Turbo Boost)
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1GB
4GB(2x2GB)RAM, DDR3 1066Mhz
500GB HDD (5400rpm)
15.5" LCD display
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users