Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cleaning External Drive How do I clean up my external backup drive

#1 User is offline   charal 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:35 AM

I have a 500G Seagate external drive for backup. It is almost full (465G) while my main drive is only 200G out of 320G. Obviously there is a lot of junk in the external and I need to clean it up but I can't seem to make any significant dent in it. I think the best solution would be to delete everything and do a fresh backup but I can't see how to do that. Help.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

View Postcharal, on 28 May 2010 - 04:35 AM, said:

I have a 500G Seagate external drive for backup. It is almost full (465G) while my main drive is only 200G out of 320G. Obviously there is a lot of junk in the external and I need to clean it up but I can't seem to make any significant dent in it. I think the best solution would be to delete everything and do a fresh backup but I can't see how to do that. Help.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I guess the easiest method would be to reformat the external drive. If you right click on the icon for it, there should be an option to Format it.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

View Postcharal, on 28 May 2010 - 04:35 AM, said:

Hi, Charal. a 500GB drive should be plenty for backing up a 320GB drive.

Two questions:

1) Are you using the drive ONLY for backup?

2) Could you please tell us something about your backup routine? What program (if any) do you use. How often do you back up? How do you have it configured?

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   charal 

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

I use the Seagate software to backup daily at a set time. I was using Gmail backup for some time and I think that is why there is so much data stored. I have cleaned up my main drive (deleting unnecessary photos, music etc.) and I need to gain space on the external drive.

#5 User is offline   charal 

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

View Postcharal, on 29 May 2010 - 05:13 AM, said:

I use the Seagate software to backup daily at a set time. I was using Gmail backup for some time and I think that is why there is so much data stored. I have cleaned up my main drive (deleting unnecessary photos, music etc.) and I need to gain space on the external drive.

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

View Postcharal, on 29 May 2010 - 05:13 AM, said:

I'm not familiar with Seagate's backup software (probably licensed from someone else). When you look at the contents of the backup drive, do you see lots of files of the same type--as if each daily backup is it's own file?

Another thing to look for: Examine the backup program's options and see if there's something called Purge.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users