PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: At&t Pulls The Plug On Its Unlimited Data Plans - PCWorld Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At&t Pulls The Plug On Its Unlimited Data Plans

#21 User is offline   hshtick 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:03 AM

Looks like a throwback to the old AOL days to me. Remember, we all paid by the minute. I thought we as a people had evolved past that stupid nickle and dime business model.
.....Anyway it's not my problem (yet) because I have an unlimited Verizon plan. Good luck to all my i friends out there :(

#22 User is offline   PaulMartin 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

View PostAdamTaylor, on 02 June 2010 - 04:49 AM, said:

View PostPaulMartin, on 02 June 2010 - 04:41 AM, said:

Thanks AT&T for making it less attractive to purchase a smartphone on your network. I thought people were swamping the network with their data usage? Now you're telling me that the average users uses less than 200MB a month. Make up your minds. You just want to make a pretty penny on all your customers who will now be tethering their devices to a laptop when they're on the go. Anything to make a buck...

200mb is a lot less than 2gb.

1gb = 1024 mb..

Not sure how this makes any sense in relation to my comment. If you have their 200MB per month plan and go over they are going to charge you by the MB. On the 2GB plan they will charge you $10 for ever GB that you go over. Like everything else 90% of their customers will be confused about this so they'll head to a store where the rep will convince them that they only need the 200MB/month plan. Let the overage charges begin. Plus I am a CS major so I know how many MBs are in a GB. Point is if you truly need the 2GB plan odds are you're already using more than 2GB. It sounds like a lot but when you watch videos, surf the web, and send emails with large attachments (think 3GS videos) it adds up fast. As the data calculator on their site points out, just 50 minutes of streaming video per day, alone, will easily exceed 2GB. That's probably excessive for the average user but if you're tethering and downloading large files it's an easy target. For customers with no other means of high speed internet access (my parents included) tethering is a must. Unfortunately your access to fast internet is now being hampered by AT&T's ridiculous new data usage plans.

#23 User is offline   AnotherIdiot 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

Haha...AT&T is really shooting themselves in the foot with this one.
I was actually looking into finally getting a smartphone, I couldn't decide if I should get the new apple 4g, or go with an android phone of some sort, thanks for making my choice a little easier there AT&T :P

#24 User is offline   gludwick 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:12 AM

Boy, Apple and AT&T - talk about a marriage made in heaven!
Control freaks on both ends of the deal - Jobs/Apple controlling all aspects of the hardware, software and apps....AT&T hammering you from the other end with monopolistic rates and plans The arrogance of these two is just astounding!
Android just keeps looking better and better!

#25 User is offline   RWolfShipon 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. False advertising. A bait-and-switch. Steve Jobs should never have promised us an unlimited plan only for AT&T to change the game a month after the iPad 3G was released.

I am very upset with AT&T.

#26 User is offline   KevinTumlinson 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

I'm not sure what any of the folks at Apple or AT&T are thinking. It seems insane. It's like they're telling their customers, "We don't give a crap about how you feel. We know you love the iPhone. Now give us your lunch money or we'll take your phone away." It seems like iPhone customers get screwed constantly by both AT&T and Apple.

I have a Nexus One on T-mobile, and the Froyo update gives me both USB tethering and WiFi hotspot capability at no extra charge. My unlimited data plan costs a little more per month than AT&T's, but I can use my phone for anything I want. Including watching Flash video.

I am positive that I would have loved the iPhone. But the two A's just never got their act together on it, and it always seemed like their contract was very much stacked against me, so I never bothered to buy an iPhone. It's Android for me from here on out.

#27 User is offline   MarkFreedman 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:25 AM

View PostRWolfShipon, on 02 June 2010 - 05:16 AM, said:

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. False advertising. A bait-and-switch. Steve Jobs should never have promised us an unlimited plan only for AT&T to change the game a month after the iPad 3G was released. I am very upset with AT&T.

You should be upset and only the most cultish of Apple fanboy will spin this ripoff as something good. The people who just purchased the iPad 3Gs with the happy promises of unlimited data plan are now finding out that Jobs & AT&T have essentially lied through their teeth. Mass returns, class action lawsuits, FTC, you name it.

#28 User is offline   Dissonance 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

Verizon will make some hard hitting commercials about AT&T charging crazy money per gigabyte.

AT&T will respond by suing Verizon for confusing customers with facts and stuff.

#29 User is offline   WesStewart 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

I am wondering how this will affect the iPhone Unlimited International Data plan for $65 a month.

#30 User is offline   TaylorCowin 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:36 AM

They must think that we're stupid... This is such an obvious greed-fueled scheme.

#31 User is offline   r4jd 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

I'm on Edge most of the time and I cannot justify $30/m when I average 60Mb/m. I have unlimited data and I use it a lot, but now I can pay $15 and still have more than enough.

I might switch over if I don't get 3G soon, but I hate the idea of not being able to get unlimited back.

#32 User is offline   punkbabe 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:42 AM

That seals the deal on me and AT&T. I've had them for about 6 years now and have had an iPhone since gen. 1. I currently have an iPhone family plan and according to AT&T last month alone I used 1,923,752 Msg/Min/KB/MB! So them giving me 2GB is obviously no where NEAR enough to cover our usage.

#33 Guest_rhonin_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

As my use can vary (my iPhone is linked to my work exchange server) I took a look at my actaul usage.
Note: I am including wifi as whenever possible I try to use wifi. Its not that fast but it is faster and usually more consistent than 3G data.

3G data - ranges from 0.3gb to 2.4gb
WiFi data - ranges from 0.7gb to 3.1gb

This means my average monthly data download ranges from 1.0gb to 5.5gb
If I add tethering to that... ouch!

I also looked at my sons use - he has a Samsung Propel - and his use entails almost all 3G as he is always on the go. He is also a fairly big You Tube viewer.
3G data - 0.2gb to 1.4gb

Based on my usage, and can only see it increasing as the devices bcome more sophisticated and then next gen networks roll out, I forsee a serious data issue.
This will nake me think long and hard on my options and likely push me away from upgrading or adding new devices to my account.
And at the time when ATT and others are supposedly upgrading their networks to allow greater data access and speeds.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
And where is the "you are about to exceed your limit" notices?

Ouch!

#34 User is offline   J0E1 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

Apple cannot be happy with this decision. I wonder if they even had any input to it? Whether or not 98% of iphone users will ever use more then 2gb (or 200mb)is not the point, its the fact that someone buying an iphone has to keep track of their data and people just don't want to do it. If you live in a major city pick up sprint and the htc evo. Unlimited 3G/4G data, unlimited cell to cell calls, and a sick android phone. No worries about minutes or data. What more could you want?

#35 User is offline   9d3tsi 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

Wow, what a scam this is? To get a new Iphone you have to either keep your current plan and buy at the insane retail price, or get screwed in the long run with the new data plan limitations. Thanks, I'll pass on this one. Needless to say, I won't be renewing with AT&T.

#36 User is offline   JoelTomaneng 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

A Big Thank You to AT&T. Maybe I'll be able to use 3G during rush hour, because the idiot next to me is now restricted from using his jail broken iPhone to watch streamed HD, subsequently clogging the tower for us normal folks. A for those who think they need more than 2 GB, please state your case, I'd love to hear it.

#37 User is offline   Mystgreen 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

My data usage currently hovers just under 4Gb a month. A couple of months in the last 3 years I have gone over 4Gb. I used to brag about AT&T's iPhone data plan that no other US carrier would match since all of the others had a 4Gb cap without additional fees per/Mb. Now I truly have no reason to stick with AT&T if another company were to carry the iPhone. When this happens I will be interested in a cheaper carrier. (Hopefully Verizon)

#38 User is offline   JoelTomaneng 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:24 AM

View PostMystgreen, on 02 June 2010 - 06:23 AM, said:

My data usage currently hovers just under 4Gb a month. A couple of months in the last 3 years I have gone over 4Gb. I used to brag about AT&T's iPhone data plan that no other US carrier would match since all of the others had a 4Gb cap without additional fees per/Mb. Now I truly have no reason to stick with AT&T if another company were to carry the iPhone. When this happens I will be interested in a cheaper carrier. (Hopefully Verizon)

#39 User is offline   ksamp1 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

WOW! Most of you have NO idea what your talking about! Can anyone not research or READ anymore? Do you all just scan an article, pick out a few words and come to outrageous conclusions based on those phrases? If any of you had actually read the announcement from ATT, you would have seen that "if you are a current smartphone customer you're not required to switch to one of the new plans. However, if you'd like a data plan more tailored to your needs, you can switch to one of the two new plans we're introducing."........Furthermore, the comment about 1,9xx,xxx...usage being WAY more that the 5GB plan that ATT will be offering?????? What???? 1,9xx,xxx kb is only 1.9 MB! You people really need to READ and understand before you fly off making decisions about things you don't even understand. As ATT stated, most users will end up saving money with this new structure. 99% of you have no idea HOW MUCH data you are currently using, yet you declare in an instant that you will be leaving ATT IMMEDIATELY because of these new plans and ATT/Apple "lied to us about unlimited data".....
For anyone that would actually like to READ what ATT themselves have to say, here is a link to the new data plan explanations on their facebook page
http://www.facebook....app_10442206389

#40 User is offline   JoelTomaneng 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

View PostJoelTomaneng, on 02 June 2010 - 06:24 AM, said:

View PostMystgreen, on 02 June 2010 - 06:23 AM, said:

I think when verizon gets hold of the iPhone, I give them a year (or less) before they cap service, or increase prices, or both. The iPhone, and now other smartphones, are now capable of clogging the towers, so when you take on too many subscribers, this is what happens. By the way, the 5gb limits hit once tethering takes effect.

This has nothing to do with greed. It has to do with supply and demand. It is a competitive. Caveat emptier, all mobile companies eventually have a catch. Always read the fine print, and most importantly, be willing to live with it, whether you read it or not.

This post has been edited by JoelTomaneng: 02 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users