PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Gateway W350i Issues - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gateway W350i Issues

#1 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

Is there anyway I can download a system restore disc for this gateway system, I can't get any documentation or other info from Gateway's website using the model number or the serial.
If anyone has a disc image of the restore disc for this laptop so that I can reinstall the drivers back onto this system, I would greatly appreciate that.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

Here are the drivers: http://support.gatew...t=pn&param=4386
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

View PostGatewaygeek, on 04 June 2010 - 08:23 AM, said:

Is there anyway I can download a system restore disc for this gateway system, I can't get any documentation or other info from Gateway's website using the model number or the serial.
If anyone has a disc image of the restore disc for this laptop so that I can reinstall the drivers back onto this system, I would greatly appreciate that.


Are you sure of the model number? I looked on Gateway's support site and I could not find any notebook computer model number that started with a W.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

View Postrgreen4, on 05 June 2010 - 10:25 AM, said:

View PostGatewaygeek, on 04 June 2010 - 08:23 AM, said:

Is there anyway I can download a system restore disc for this gateway system, I can't get any documentation or other info from Gateway's website using the model number or the serial.
If anyone has a disc image of the restore disc for this laptop so that I can reinstall the drivers back onto this system, I would greatly appreciate that.


Are you sure of the model number? I looked on Gateway's support site and I could not find any notebook computer model number that started with a W.



I didn't include the W. just entered as 350i.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#5 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Going into the guided search, no laptop shows up with a "350" in the model number and entering "350i" just gives the generic driver search I think you found. The machine may have W350i on the top and a different model on the bottom. HP laptops are like that with a generic model on the top and the specific model tag on the bottom of the machine.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 05 June 2010 - 12:06 PM, said:

Going into the guided search, no laptop shows up with a "350" in the model number and entering "350i" just gives the generic driver search I think you found. The machine may have W350i on the top and a different model on the bottom. HP laptops are like that with a generic model on the top and the specific model tag on the bottom of the machine.


I have looked on both the top and the bottom of the darn thing and it lists the model number as W350I I have looked though other forums and it seems as though there are others who have the same problem, It's almost as if the laptop never existed. (or time traveled from the future, lol )
This crap is really frustrating, first it bluescreens when trying to reinstall Windows Vista, so I installed XP which worked, and now this crap, I'm about to abandon laptops altogether.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

#7 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

I googled Gateway W3501 rather than W350i and got many hits, all from third party sites. I found nothing on Gateway's site at all. Is it maybe part of a named series? Is there any other model or series name on it at all?

Perhaps if you would post everything that is on the Gateway sticker on the bottom, line by line (NOT the Serial No.) that might help. From reading the Google comments, you are not alone in trying to find info on this phantom laptop.

While laptops are somewhat of a problem in getting drivers, I will say the sites on HP and Dell have never failed to give me some reference on any computer that is less than 8 years old. And they have a lot of weird model numbers. I have had problems finding references on Gateway before.

This post has been edited by rgreen4: 07 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#8 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

View Postrgreen4, on 07 June 2010 - 05:46 AM, said:

I googled Gateway W3501 rather than W350i and got many hits, all from third party sites. I found nothing on Gateway's site at all. Is it maybe part of a named series? Is there any other model or series name on it at all?

Perhaps if you would post everything that is on the Gateway sticker on the bottom, line by line (NOT the Serial No.) that might help. From reading the Google comments, you are not alone in trying to find info on this phantom laptop.

While laptops are somewhat of a problem in getting drivers, I will say the sites on HP and Dell have never failed to give me some reference on any computer that is less than 8 years old. And they have a lot of weird model numbers. I have had problems finding references on Gateway before.


In one of the corners to the top right of the keyboard it says "T-Series" pretty much the guy who gave this to me has managed to rub off the serial number and a few other things, Unfortunately I don't have a camera to take pictures of it and show it to you guys. The touchpad is off center (Closer to the left side than right) and I also have seen some mentions on other forums about this laptop being referred to as a t-6842.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

#9 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Well, I have found a T-6842 reference on the Gateway support site. It apparently has drivers for all the components for XP, Vista 32bit and Vista 64bit. However, no recovery discs were shown and unlike the Dell and HP sites, they don't show an image of the machine. Their site is apparently aimed more at the owners, but trying to go into most support pages asks for the serial number.

If the references were intentionally rubbed off, it does not sound good. If it is just the result of wear (the original Windows Vista sticker on the bottom of my laptop is so worn the COA number is almost unreadable, but since it now has Win7, I don't care), then it is explainable. Using one on a lap will result in gradual wear, but not scratches.

If the serial number is readable, go onto the Gateway website and see what you can find. They don't even let you casual browsers see the machine specs. If it came with Vista there would be no reason for it to blue screen during the install of a clean copy of Vista. Of course this is assuming that the machine if fully functional.

Maybe there's a reason the guy gave it to you. It apparently had no value to him.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 08 June 2010 - 01:11 PM, said:

Well, I have found a T-6842 reference on the Gateway support site. It apparently has drivers for all the components for XP, Vista 32bit and Vista 64bit. However, no recovery discs were shown and unlike the Dell and HP sites, they don't show an image of the machine. Their site is apparently aimed more at the owners, but trying to go into most support pages asks for the serial number.

If the references were intentionally rubbed off, it does not sound good. If it is just the result of wear (the original Windows Vista sticker on the bottom of my laptop is so worn the COA number is almost unreadable, but since it now has Win7, I don't care), then it is explainable. Using one on a lap will result in gradual wear, but not scratches.

If the serial number is readable, go onto the Gateway website and see what you can find. They don't even let you casual browsers see the machine specs. If it came with Vista there would be no reason for it to blue screen during the install of a clean copy of Vista. Of course this is assuming that the machine if fully functional.

Maybe there's a reason the guy gave it to you. It apparently had no value to him.


Well I'm going to talk to him about this tommorow and see if I can get my money back or if maybe he has the documentation around that contains the info that I need.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

#11 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Well I must admit that this was a very frustrating experience for me and I've learned a few things as well. I must thank you all for spending your time helping me, I am giving this hunk of crap back to the person who sold it to me, and return am getting an older but WORKING laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 770 (I know it's old but it will be fun to play around with for awhile).
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

#12 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

Just remember three things:
1) Make sure it works
2) Make sure that if it has password protections, he either removes the password or gives it to you.
3) Make sure you get the install disc.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#13 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 09 June 2010 - 04:23 AM, said:

Just remember three things:
1) Make sure it works
2) Make sure that if it has password protections, he either removes the password or gives it to you.
3) Make sure you get the install disc.


Alright thanks for the tips, I am currently using a different laptop that he gave me in return of the other, It is a IBM Thinkpad 770 and for being as old as it is, it runs Windows 2000 pro pretty nicely (tried XP and it was atrociously slow) I'm currently using it to type this post. I can't believe it was considered top of the line in its day but, It WORKS and that's what counts :)
Once again, thank you for your time and help :)
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

#14 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

If you think that one is slow, you should try the 700. We had them at work in the mid '90's. I think it was a Pentium with Windows 3.1.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#15 User is offline   Gatewaygeek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 189
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 09 June 2010 - 07:03 PM, said:

If you think that one is slow, you should try the 700. We had them at work in the mid '90's. I think it was a Pentium with Windows 3.1.


wow, I can't imagine how slow those things would be with Windows 98 or even 95.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison
"I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world." Thomas Edison
"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." Thomas Edison
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users