• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Excite Sign In Disallowed

#1 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

With the exception of a firewall (XP - ZoneAlarm Pro, Vista - Comodo), all of the security software installed on both of my boxes is the same. Yet, while I'm able to sign in to my account at http://www.excite.com/ on the Vista box, I'm unable to sign in on the XP box with any of my installed browsers (Opera, IE or FF).

The message reads: The browser you're using is not allowing you to sign in to Excite. Right now, your browser's settings are configured to disable cookies and/or javascript. In order to access your account, you must change your browser's settings to accept both cookies AND javascript. Tried everything and still can't sign in? It could be due to one of these issues: 1)Your computer's clock may be set ahead 10 years or more, 2)Your computer's hard drive (C:, most likely) has low disk space, and 3)Your computer/computer's network is using security software or a firewall that prevents you from signing in.

On the XP box, all browsers ARE set to accept both cookies AND javascript, my clock is correct, and C: has over 35GB free. Some security software must be causing this and as previously mentioned, the only difference between the two boxes is the firewall so ZoneAlarm must be the culprit. Anybody know how to tweak it? Thanks.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad R61i (Vista).

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

Hey klaatu !!

Once on your site, try to right click on the Firewall icon in the notification area (clock) and disable to
see if you can sign in. IF not then, it's something else.

You say that cookies are enabled but, are Third Party cookies enabled also ??

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:59 AM

Hey Klaatu !!

OK, I tried to clicking on the posted link for Excite and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, which is my Real Time malware program,
Blocked me from going in.

Posted Image

I looked up the address it had blocked and this is what came up :

Posted Image

As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong EXCEPT that it is a "Ask.com" network.
It is associated with the Ask Toolbar, which is a nastie piece of software.
Hijacks your Home page and installs deep in your PC so, this is the reason it
has blocked me from entering this site.

My Point is, IF my security blocks me from entering this site, Maybe yours is also.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#4 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostFlashorn, on 08 June 2010 - 02:39 AM, said:

Hey klaatu !!
Once on your site, try to right click on the Firewall icon in the notification area (clock) and disable to
see if you can sign in. IF not then, it's something else.
You say that cookies are enabled but, are Third Party cookies enabled also ??

FLASHORN.

Thanks for your feedback, Flashorn.

Shut down ZA Pro and then Windows firewall after it activated upon ZA's closing but still wasn't able to sign in so determined that it wasn't the firewall.

In Opera 10.53, found a preferences setting for cookies and tweaked it to enable sign in. Changed "Accept cookies only from the site I visit" to "Accept cookies," and also deleted old Excite.com cookie just for good measure. Appears Opera interprets the sign in page cookie as a Third Party cookie. Opera default preference settings must change after updates because I was able to sign in before for a long time.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad R61i (Vista).

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Yup. In all likelyhood the site has been Hijacked.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

That's really strange, I had no trouble. I've been an EXCITE member since they were part of @HOME, when TCI owned the cable TV system, well before AT&T and COMCAST. It still functions the same. I have had a complaint in with them(excite) for over year when "MY MOON and MY SUNRISE/SUNSET" tabs stopped displaying the information. I don't think they have an admin for a while as I've gotten no response from them for a year.

#7 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

One "method" to determine IF a Site MAY have been
hijacked is to enter its URL at
http://www.finjan.co...ent.aspx?id=574 .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users