• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Usb Audio From Laptop To Surround Sound

#1 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

I have a USB male to male cable and would like to connect my laptop to the USB port on a Samsung surround sound system. How can I get sound to come go to the USB instead of the speakers? Under "Playback Devices" in Win 7 I have nvidia HDMI out and speakers. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Are you sure the USB port on the Samsung is for line input and not a flash drive?

Most sound line inputs on surround sound systems are the red/white RCA stereo inputs, with some having digital inputs, but not USB.

What are the model numbers on the devices and the brand of the laptop?

What does your users guide for the Samsung say out the USB port?
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, the USB port is for external storage devices/mp3 players only. There is a digital audio input, and it's Toslink style. My laptop has a SPDIF output shaped like a standard 3.5mm plug. Can I connect those?

View Postrgreen4, on 08 June 2010 - 12:28 PM, said:

Are you sure the USB port on the Samsung is for line input and not a flash drive?

Most sound line inputs on surround sound systems are the red/white RCA stereo inputs, with some having digital inputs, but not USB.

What are the model numbers on the devices and the brand of the laptop?

What does your users guide for the Samsung say out the USB port?

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

There are various audio connections. The most common input on amplifiers and A/V receivers is the traditional red and white stereo analog inputs. There are two forms of digital audio inputs, the coaxial which looks in form similar to the RCA socket used for analog, but instead of the red or white insulator should have an orange insulator. Then the optical/fiber/toslink connector which is usually a black surround and has a small square removable cover. Below is a diagram with many of the connectors illustrated.

Posted Image

Next you comment that the laptop has a "SPDIF output shaped like a standard 3.5mm plug". If that means that it has a socket to accept a 3.5mm stereo plug, then that is NOT SPDIF. Below I am including a diagram of the two professional and two consumer SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format) connectors. Please note the 3.5mm stereo plug is not shown, as it is analog and doubles as not only a headphone connector, but also a line output.

Posted Image

To connect a 3.5mm plug connection to most analog audio inputs on a receiver/amplifier, you would use a Y adapter cable such as the one below:

Posted Image

This last would be the easiest way to connect the laptop to your surround sound system if it has the red/white audio inputs. I have a Samsung sound bar and it has two analog audio inputs.

This post has been edited by rgreen4: 08 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the help! This seems to be what I'm looking for since for some reason analog cables always seem to crap out:

Posted Image

"Some laptops from Apple, Acer, HP and others have a 3.5mm Jack that has two tasks. One; it works as a standard analogue connector used for headpones or any stereo device that can take the 3.5 mm connection. In addition, there is a small .5mm extension at the end of which is an LED that transmits optical multichannel data. The .5 mm extension is there so that an analogue plug does not touch the LED.

You need to get a MiniToslink (Mini-TOSLINK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) plug, and a regular S/PDIF cable to connect the laptop to your AVR or amplifier. A MiniToslink is an adapter that has a 4.0 mm (3.5mm + .5 mm for reading the LED) plug with a optical reader on one side and a regular S/PDIF jack on the other side. With this connection you will get full multichannel audio. Be careful when using this connection. The plugs and jacks are very small, can bend easily and destroy the connectivity. Remove them positively after use."

The jack on the laptop is a multipurpose jack that can do analog or digital.

I've been using a 3.5mm TRS cable to the surround sound (it has 3.5mm input on the front) and it died a few days ago. Even when it was working, my motherboard caused interference (static) that came through the speakers whenever the laptop was plugged in.

This post has been edited by pinkston32: 09 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

#6 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Well, I have never seen a cable like that one. If you can find one, it should solve your problem.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

View Postpinkston32, on 08 June 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

Thanks, the USB port is for external storage devices/mp3 players only. There is a digital audio input, and it's Toslink style. My laptop has a SPDIF output shaped like a standard 3.5mm plug. Can I connect those?

What makes you say the USB port is for storage, only? As I write this, I've got a keyboard, mouse, scanner, and headset (audio output and input) plugged into USB ports.

Lincoln

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Lincon, I think he's talking about the USB port on his Samsung Surround Sound system, not the PC. Sort of like the USB port on my HDTV.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Yup, I was talking about the surround sound port. But monoprice.com has cables for very cheap (great site by the way). I already contacted the ebay seller for a new 3.5mm cable and he sent a replacement (bought a 10ft extension cable for $.99 shipped), so I'll try the toslink cable if the new cable dies or I decide I can't stand the static. Thanks for all the responses!

This post has been edited by pinkston32: 10 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

#10 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

View Postpinkston32, on 10 June 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yup, I was talking about the surround sound port. But monoprice.com has cables for very cheap (great site by the way). I already contacted the ebay seller for a new 3.5mm cable and he sent a replacement (bought a 10ft extension cable for $.99 shipped), so I'll try the toslink cable if the new cable dies or I decide I can't stand the static. Thanks for all the responses!

My mistake.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users