Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard Drive Full And I Dont Know Why!

#1 User is offline   yoko 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

Recently, I have noticed that my hard drive space has essentially filled up and I am not sure with what. I have Windows Vista 32 Home, on a Lenovo N500 laptop with 147G on my C drive. I utilized SpaceSniffer and found 109G of unknown space. I have approx. 4G to programs, 4G to documents, 3G pics and 13-14G windows. How can I find out what this unknown space is and recapture it?

#2 User is offline   yoko 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

View Postyoko, on 25 June 2010 - 04:54 PM, said:

Recently, I have noticed that my hard drive space has essentially filled up and I am not sure with what. I have Windows Vista 32 Home, on a Lenovo N500 laptop with 147G on my C drive. I utilized SpaceSniffer and found 109G of unknown space. I have approx. 4G to programs, 4G to documents, 3G pics and 13-14G windows. How can I find out what this unknown space is and recapture it?

In addition, when I try to do a system restore and it asks me which drive, the C drive shows up as a C (system) and C (missing). Every program I have run (idisk, Treesize)only show the part of the C drive that it can see (I am now up to 116G of unaccessible space). It doesnt appear to be a program taking up space, it is as if my hard drive is disappearing! I have run a backup of all my important files and am prepared to do a factory restore if necessary. I keep currently with my spyware, firewall, security- have Microsoft Security Essentials, Threatfire, Malwarebytes Anti Malware and have run Disc Defragmenter and Cleanup several times.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Those "unknown" files could be Windows Temp files. Have you tried running CCleaner? I have found that sometimes it finds and deletes files that Windows Disk Cleanup didn't. I once ran it on an XP system and freed up nearly 8GB of files - the PC was never maintained.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 28 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   yoko 

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hi! I regularly use CCleaner. I am a member of another forum (sorry!) and come to find out, they are system restore points- taking up 116G of space because the max shadowstorage was unlimited (or whatever terminology that was used to mean- use up every bit of your bytes!).
thanks for your reply!!!

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

View Postyoko, on 28 June 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

Hi! I regularly use CCleaner. I am a member of another forum (sorry!) and come to find out, they are system restore points- taking up 116G of space because the max shadowstorage was unlimited (or whatever terminology that was used to mean- use up every bit of your bytes!).
thanks for your reply!!!

Hey yoko !!

Yes, yes and yes. Those darn restore points AND shadow copy take up as much as they see fit. I
keep cleaning them out every week or so to get back about 20gigs of space on my hdd. One day
I will get fed up enough to re-size those shadowcopy. Just too busy right now.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   yoko 

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

Yeah,and since I had Vista, I had to do the hard way, via vssadmin command prompt. Why did they change the slider to allot disk space to it? why fix something that wasnt broke in the first place?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users