PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: processor comparison...AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel Pentium 4 or D - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

processor comparison...AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel Pentium 4 or D

#1 User is offline   mngjones 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'm looking to buy another computer and have a few questions.1. What is the difference between an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 3800+ and an Intel Pentium 4 or D? 2. We are looking to buy the Dell C521 or the E521...does anyone have experience with either of these computers or with Dell? We are looking to do some basic video and phot editing with our system so we ant it to be able to multitask.Any advice would be great!Thanks,MNG

#2 User is offline   jbking 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

Greetings,1. What is the difference between an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 3800 and an Intel Pentium 4 or D? Well, they are made by different companies and use different architectures among other things. There are CPU charts on Tom's Hardware where specific models are compared and I would note that while that Athlon is a specific model the others aren't as there are several Intel Pentium 4 models as well as Pentium Ds, e.g. the 800 and 900 series to give 2 subcategories here alone.2. We are looking to buy the Dell C521 or the E521...does anyone have experience with either of these computers or with Dell? We are looking to do some basic video and phot editing with our system so we ant it to be able to multitask. +While I don't personally, I would note that that is likely not the top model of AMD processor that Dell offers and so one idea may be to bump this up in the case where you have something processor intensive.Regards,JB

#3 User is offline   phillypa800 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

here's an article i came across in respect to your question. hope this article helps. i tried to find an article in pcworld but no dice. i'm sure there's one but reading so much hurts my brain. http://www.extremete...4674,00.aspgood luck

#4 User is offline   jbking 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

Keep in mind in that article the Intel CPUs used are "Core 2 Duo" which are the newest processors from Intel and not the generation or 2 back that the Pentium 4 and D are. Just something I think worth pointing out.http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/components/0,1000001694,39233885,00.htm does compare that AMD to Pentium Ds, which concluded with this note:"AMD currently offers the most attractive dual core option. The entry level Athlon 64 X2 3800 may cost $87 more than its Intel counterpart, the Pentium D 820, but the AMD chip is a much better performer. It also uses considerably less power. A typical Athlon 64 X2 3800 system uses less than 100W, while an equivalent Intel-based system uses about 50 per cent more, so it will be easier to build a quiet office PC around an AMD dual core chip. The lower electricity cost could also be a significant factor in enterprises with several thousand PCs."However, the article is from Nov. 2005 so it is a little old.Regards,JB

#5 User is offline   phillypa800 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:33 AM

thanks for pointing that out. told you reading too much hurts my brain. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users