Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bing "search The Internet" Pop Up

#1 User is offline   WilliamHarvey 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

I have read all the posts about problems with the Bing browser. But I don't have a Bing browser. My problem is that Every time I type in a b (there! it did it again!) followed by a non-alpha character I get a stupid Bing window that pops up wanting me to "Search the internet". How do I stop that? It's annoying as hell because I frequently use that as my wife's abbreviation, and when making lists. Here's what Bing tech support says:
" Hello William,
Thank you for writing to Bing Technical Support. My name is Arlene and your issue is related to your Firefox browser. I request you to contact their support team to get relevant support in this regard.
Sincerely,
Arlene
Bing Technical Support"
Has anyone else had that problem? Did you resolve it? I've looked on several forums but haven't found a definitive answer.
I’m using FireFox 3.6.2, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Mahalo--
Harvey...

#2 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Just to get the terms right, Bing is a search engine, not a web browser. Bing is like Yahoo, Google, and Dogpile (had to remember another one, heh). Mozilla's Firefox is a web browser, just like Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Google's Chrome, and Apple's Safari.

First thing you should do is update your Firefox web browser from 3.6.2 to the latest version: 3.6.6. That is unless you have a good reason not to. Open the Help menu and click "Check for Updates." You can enable this automatically by going to Tools > Options > Advanced tab > Update tab > Check-mark: Firefox, Radio button: Ask me what I want to do.

Now for your query. I don't use Bing at all, so I don't know what sort of pop-up you're experiencing. If you know how, could you please post a screen shot?

Quick instructions:
Press the Prnt Scrn key on your keyboard (often by the F10 key) to take a picture of your screen. Open up Paint and press Ctrl+V to paste the picture. Save the file as a PNG or JPG. Go to http://imageshack.us/ and upload your picture. (You don't need to register on their site.) Once uploaded, there is a URL next to Direct Link. Post that link in your next post so we can see what you're seeing.

I'm going to take a guess and say that Bing is setup as the default search engine for the Web Search textbox. That's the box to the right of the address bar. Right next to that textbox is an icon for the search engine you're using and a down arrow. Click that icon and open up the Manage Search Engines window. From there, you can adjust the Web Search textbox and even remove Bing from the list. I set my default search engine to Dictionary.com and I also have Google.com on the list too.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#3 User is offline   WilliamHarvey 

• Pip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostAgentF, on 05 July 2010 - 10:19 PM, said:

Just to get the terms right, Bing is a search engine, not a web browser. Bing is like Yahoo, Google, and Dogpile (had to remember another one, heh). Mozilla's Firefox is a web browser, just like Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Google's Chrome, and Apple's Safari.

First thing you should do is update your Firefox web browser from 3.6.2 to the latest version: 3.6.6. That is unless you have a good reason not to. Open the Help menu and click "Check for Updates." You can enable this automatically by going to Tools > Options > Advanced tab > Update tab > Check-mark: Firefox, Radio button: Ask me what I want to do.

Now for your query. I don't use Bing at all, so I don't know what sort of pop-up you're experiencing. If you know how, could you please post a screen shot?

Quick instructions:
Press the Prnt Scrn key on your keyboard (often by the F10 key) to take a picture of your screen. Open up Paint and press Ctrl+V to paste the picture. Save the file as a PNG or JPG. Go to http://imageshack.us/ and upload your picture. (You don't need to register on their site.) Once uploaded, there is a URL next to Direct Link. Post that link in your next post so we can see what you're seeing.

I'm going to take a guess and say that Bing is setup as the default search engine for the Web Search textbox. That's the box to the right of the address bar. Right next to that textbox is an icon for the search engine you're using and a down arrow. Click that icon and open up the Manage Search Engines window. From there, you can adjust the Web Search textbox and even remove Bing from the list. I set my default search engine to Dictionary.com and I also have Google.com on the list too.

#4 User is offline   WilliamHarvey 

• Pip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

View PostWilliamHarvey, on 06 July 2010 - 10:47 AM, said:

View PostAgentF, on 05 July 2010 - 10:19 PM, said:

Quick instructions:

I uploaded a screen shot, link is http://yfrog.com/5nbingpopupforpcw and direct link is http://img203.images...pcworldforu.jpg
As you can see, It has no relationship to location or task or page. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, if I type a b (there, it did it again!) followed by a non alpha character a little window pops up in the middle of the screen that says "Bing Intenet Search in the blue bar at top, and in the middle of the little window it says "Search the Internet". And BTW, I just noticed that the header is mis-spelled as "Intenet"! I can type a b (there it is again) in a blank desktop screen, in an address bar, in a document--it doesn't make any difference--the little window pops up! I just hit Esc and continue.
And Bing is not my search engine of choice. I have already removed it from the list you mentioned. My default is Google.

I'm sorry if I transmitted a blank reply a minute ago. I didn't realize I should type my reply directly into your reply box. If I am still screwing up, please advise.

#5 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi Bill :

There is a possibility you may have some undetected
malware on your computer !? So knowing the Name(s) of
your security program(s) may be helpful . The 2
malware-fighting programs most recommended on these
forums are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, available for
download from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
and "SUPERAntiSpyware" from http://www.superantispyware.com .
Both come in a FREE Version, but since you have a 64
bit Operating System I'm unsure IF either or both are
compatible with your computer, which you should check
closely IF you decide to go to those websites .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#6 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for that screenshot. =) From your picture, I can see my suggestion was not applicable. I've never seen anything like that. Based on the misspelling you pointed out, I'd go along with Spirit's suggestion and run Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware. Malwarebytes will run on a 64-bit system like yours, but I'm not 100% sure about Super Antispyware. Update all available definitions first, don't run them at the same time, and report back afterward. In addition to that, please post screenshots of the plugins list installed on Firefox.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#7 User is offline   harveywaz 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

View PostAgentF, on 06 July 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

Thanks for that screenshot. =) From your picture, I can see my suggestion was not applicable. I've never seen anything like that. Based on the misspelling you pointed out, I'd go along with Spirit's suggestion and run Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware. Malwarebytes will run on a 64-bit system like yours, but I'm not 100% sure about Super Antispyware. Update all available definitions first, don't run them at the same time, and report back afterward. In addition to that, please post screenshots of the plugins list installed on Firefox.

#8 User is offline   harveywaz 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Sorry I dropped out for a while--thanks for all your responses. They were all good, but it turned out to be something of my own creation. I use a program called Activewords that allows shortcuts to actions to be created so that hitting a few keystrokes followed by an action trigger (F8), will cause a file to be opened, text to be printed, etc. I completely forgot that when I was trying out Bing I installed "b" as an active word but didn't add the requirement for an action trigger. So every time I typed in a "b" ....well, you know the rest of the story.
Thanks again for your responses.
harveywaz...

#9 User is offline   harveywaz 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

View Postharveywaz, on 24 July 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

Sorry I dropped out for a while--thanks for all your responses. They were all good, but it turned out to be something of my own creation. I use a program called Activewords that allows shortcuts to actions to be created so that hitting a few keystrokes followed by an action trigger (F8), will cause a file to be opened, text to be printed, etc. I completely forgot that when I was trying out Bing I installed "b" as an active word but didn't add the requirement for an action trigger. So every time I typed in a "b" ....well, you know the rest of the story.
Thanks again for your responses.
harveywaz...

It's also interesting, though, that the misspelling I noted (Intenet) was actually the result of whoever at Bing programmed up that pop-up box.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users