PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: What Is Top Registry Repair Software - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Is Top Registry Repair Software When you're searching for the top registry cleaner one of the decision

#1 User is offline   RonenZur 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

When you're searching for the top registry cleaner one of the decisions you will have to make is to determine whether you want a paid registry cleaner or a free registry cleaner. There are advantages and disadvantages to both choices. The choice will ultimately be up to you.

#2 User is offline   Mystified 

• PipPip

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

OK. That goes without saying! But which specific registry repair software do you use? That was what I came here to see. I prefer the least expensive stuff. You know, the free stuff! Often the best software is the free stuff! (IMO, of course.) Take Firefox, for instance. But with the exception of just a few individual pieces of software within any particular category, that isn't often the best stuff.

I came here expecting to see people telling about the best registry repair software they've used. And also the worst nightmares they've had. I just had a trusted website tell me to get something called "Registry Booster", and that it was recommended on Tucows. So I downloaded it, and then, before installing and running it, I went to Tucows to see how they actually rated it. Five cows! 96% popularity! Great. Must be good, right? But only ONE user comment, and he/she said it had completely trashed his/her system! FIVE cows, but no positive comments and one trashed system? What to believe? I sure don't know! That's why this topic caught my eye. But nothing here! Sheeesh! I've heard a lot of good things about CCleaner lately (Tucows: only 4 cows, but 100% popularity), but whenever I look at it, I'm overwhelmed by all the stuff it does, and I'm afraid I might lose a lot more than I might gain by using it! Am I the only one to think that way? (The only person I personally know who actually uses it downloads just about everything he ever hears of, uncritically, but I also hear his computer ends up in the shop a lot! Don't know if I should laugh or cry!)

C'mon, people! Write something useful here! Let's hear everyone's experiences with whatever registry repair software you may have used! If I need to hear this, I'm sure there are many more out there who need to hear this too! Thanks for your collective ears, but right now I'm still "Mystified"!

#3 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

View PostMystified, on 09 July 2010 - 10:40 AM, said:

OK. That goes without saying! But which specific registry repair software do you use? That was what I came here to see. I prefer the least expensive stuff. You know, the free stuff! Often the best software is the free stuff! (IMO, of course.) Take Firefox, for instance. But with the exception of just a few individual pieces of software within any particular category, that isn't often the best stuff.

I came here expecting to see people telling about the best registry repair software they've used. And also the worst nightmares they've had. I just had a trusted website tell me to get something called "Registry Booster", and that it was recommended on Tucows. So I downloaded it, and then, before installing and running it, I went to Tucows to see how they actually rated it. Five cows! 96% popularity! Great. Must be good, right? But only ONE user comment, and he/she said it had completely trashed his/her system! FIVE cows, but no positive comments and one trashed system? What to believe? I sure don't know! That's why this topic caught my eye. But nothing here! Sheeesh! I've heard a lot of good things about CCleaner lately (Tucows: only 4 cows, but 100% popularity), but whenever I look at it, I'm overwhelmed by all the stuff it does, and I'm afraid I might lose a lot more than I might gain by using it! Am I the only one to think that way? (The only person I personally know who actually uses it downloads just about everything he ever hears of, uncritically, but I also hear his computer ends up in the shop a lot! Don't know if I should laugh or cry!)

C'mon, people! Write something useful here! Let's hear everyone's experiences with whatever registry repair software you may have used! If I need to hear this, I'm sure there are many more out there who need to hear this too! Thanks for your collective ears, but right now I'm still "Mystified"!

There's a good thread going as we speak:
http://forums.pcworl...gistry-cleaner/
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#4 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Whoa there, Mystified. Slow down buddy. This particular discussion only started 8 hours before your post. Give people time to post their input. If you browse around this forum, you'll see a lot of discussion about CCleaner. It's a highly recommended program around here. Most of what it's used for is to clean temporary files from web browsers, system files, and a whole list of other applications. It does come with a registry cleaner option, but using registry cleaners in general (not specifically CCleaner) has been under scrutiny by many folk including Microsoft developers. If used properly, it can fix some problems. If used improperly, it can mess up your system. So try out CCleaner, but avoid the registry cleaner if you don't really understand it.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#5 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi all :

When it comes to the subject of "Registry Cleaners",
I recommend reading the views of some security
oriented "Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals" at
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Hi. I do use CCleaner for Cleaning the registry sparingly as it isn't necessary to runit all that often. If you want to repair a registry, I would recommend that you do so using the repair function on a windows installation disc. That will repair anything within the OS, without having to to doa a reformat and reinstallation..........hopefully.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#7 User is offline   Optimizerator 

• Pip

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 10 July 2010 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hi. I do use CCleaner for Cleaning the registry sparingly as it isn't necessary to runit all that often. If you want to repair a registry, I would recommend that you do so using the repair function on a windows installation disc. That will repair anything within the OS, without having to to doa a reformat and reinstallation..........hopefully.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users