• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best pc performance software

#1 User is offline   tru006 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

I have been trying to figure out what is the best optimizing progam that can speed up my pc performance. Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   tadashi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

The only thing I use is Diskeeper Professional to defrag the hard drive. I try not to load too many things up to keep them from slowing up my machine.

#3 User is offline   ncgmcpherson 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

It has been my experience that most "performance" software doesn't do much. That being said, a good disk defrag will do wonders for your system. I also must concur that the less you pre-load on your system the better. Here's a good pcworld article on using Windows defrag:http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126243/article.htmlUnless you are into eye candy go into the system icon in control panel to advance and the performance option. Change your windows performance option to performance. This will turn off all the GUI extras. Then go back and turn clear type back on, or at least I prefer clear type, others may not care.I would avoid software that claims to speed up XP. If you read the articles in the technet forum at Microsoft you'll find XP is fairly dynamic. So things that control network speed etc. adjust over time. The best thing you can do to improve performance is a fast hard drive, at least 7200 for a desktop, and that's really top speed for a laptop at the moment, unless you want to spend lots and lots of bucks. You can get the 10K's for the desktop's now, and they aren't too too pricey. Also, RAM, minimum 1 GB, and if your machine supports DDR, make sure whatever you get matches so that will be enabled.

#4 User is offline   hershalgibs 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

View Posttru006, on 18 December 2006 - 10:18 PM, said:

I have been trying to figure out what is the best optimizing progam that can speed up my pc performance. Any suggestions?

I have done a bit Google for you regards the best optimizing progam that can speed up my pc performance and I found good article from Microsoft the same I am providing here. It may helps you...

microsoft.com/athome/setup/optimize.aspx

This post has been edited by smax013: 22 May 2010 - 09:42 AM
Reason for edit: Removed advertisement/spam links

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

As the others have said, Defrag is helpful. Also using an app such CCleaner to clean out the junk files that have built up is helpful. On the physical side of things, running as much memory as it will support is always good. That having been said, if you have a 32 Bit OS and 4 DIMM slots and Dual Channel capability, by all means put in 4 GB of ram. It will only use 3.0 - 3.5 Gb, out of the 4 Gb, but will be an improvement. I have 6 Gb in this Gateway and it isn't maxed as it will run 12 Gb. There is no need to do that as it doesn't come close to using what is in there ( usually around 2 Gb under heavy usage).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

View Posttru006, on 18 December 2006 - 10:18 PM, said:

In addition to what others said about CCleaner, try Auslogics Disk Defrag (I use both on a regular basis).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#7 User is offline   kristain 

• PipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

I am using XTweak software from Daoisoft. It is a free tuning and optimization software for Windows Vista.

#8 User is offline   mechellaflynn 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

To ensure that your PC is operating at an optimal level, you must ensure that your hard disk is free from unwanted files and errors. You can easily perform these tasks using the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter utility available on your XP computer.

#9 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

View Postmechellaflynn, on 21 June 2010 - 12:21 AM, said:

To ensure that your PC is operating at an optimal level, you must ensure that your hard disk is free from unwanted files and errors. You can easily perform these tasks using the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter utility available on your XP computer.
To save yourself hours, use well reputable and free programs like CCleaner and Defraggler.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

View PostAgentF, on 21 June 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

To save yourself hours, use well reputable and free programs like CCleaner and Defraggler.

I still think Auslogics Disk Defrag is better than Defraggler... it has good reviews.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#11 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 June 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostAgentF, on 21 June 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

I still think Auslogics Disk Defrag is better than Defraggler... it has good reviews.

I haven't used Auslogics so I wouldn't know. Defraggler has served me well. I think we can agree both beat out Disk Defragmenter built into Windows.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users