• You cannot reply to this topic

Do I Need These Windoze Updates ? windoze XP SP3

#1 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

Do I need these windoze updates ?? :unsure:

I dont know what some of these "optional software updates" are for.
Since M$ will be quitting optional XP updates before long should I get any of these while I still can in case they are needed for some app I may get in the future ??

domo oregato
-------------------------
-------------------------

Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows XP and Windows Embedded (KB968930)
Download size: 5.9 MB , 27 minutes
The Windows Management Framework Core package includes Windows PowerShell 2.0 and Windows Remote Management (WinRM) 2.0. For more information on the Windows Management Framework, see http://support.micro....com/kb/968929.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670)
Download size: 28.9 MB , 2 hours 15 minutes
The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile provides a subset of features from the .NET Framework 4. The Client Profile is designed to run client applications and to enable the fastest possible deployment for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows Forms technology.

Update for Root Certificates [May 2010] (KB931125)
Download size: 328 KB , 2 minutes
This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB976569)
Download size: 11.2 MB , 52 minutes
Install this update to resolve some known incompatibilities in generic types using the BinaryFormatter or NetDataContractSerializer serialized and deserialized across a mixed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 4 environment. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Windows XP (KB971513)
Download size: 744 KB , 3 minutes
The Windows Automation API library contains the latest version of the Microsoft User Interface Automation (UI Automation) and Microsoft Active Accessibility libraries that are provided in Windows 7. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)
Download size: 626 KB , 3 minutes
Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider (Base CSP) allows smart card vendors to more easily enable their smart cards on Windows with a lightweight proprietary card module instead of a full proprietary CSP. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Posted Image
Asus Vento Mini Tower Case....Asus M5A87 MOBO.....AMD Phenom II X6 1100T ( 3.3 OCed to 4.1GHz )....Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....Three Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III....Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III....8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600 RAM....450W PSU....ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Direct Cu 1058MHZ 1GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI D-Sub HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card....Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card....LG 24X SATA DVD burner....27" LED Monitor & 26" CRT TV.....custom pressurized air cooling system.... WindowsXP Home SP3 32bit
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

Hey snorg !!

How's your Summer going ??

OK, most of them should have been installed. The Net 4.0 is an add-on to the 3.5 which already has two SPs.
The SP for the .Net 2.0 should have also been installed. It's an Update. Will not kill the OS. It is also needed.
Some programs that I have recently come across are already asking for the .Net 4.0 add-on. You might not
need it Until a program won't work and asks for this module. Some games I am playing are also installing,
as part of the game, the .Net Framework 3.5 so, it could be in your best interest to install.

IF you really don't want to install these then, might I suggest you visit Aaron Kelly's site and download them to
your hard drive Just in case one of the programs you Might install in the future asks for them.

http://aaron-kelley..../hotfix/xp-sp3/

You do have SP3 installed Right??

Are you not curious or interested in finding out what 7 has to offer ?? I think , if I'm not mistaken, your last build
is hefty enough to sustain Windows 7. Just a thought .

Nice to hear from you again old friend !!

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hey Flashorn !!

Ya I got SP3.

Some of the "optional software updates" I mentioned are not downloadable so I am just gonna get all of them from windoze update.

Summer is going OK.
Hot & dry lottsa forest fires.
Been gardening here but its tuff sledding cuz soil is mostly rock & clay.

From what I read Win7 is not what I want, altho my system is more than powerful enuff to run it. I want you to tell me why I should get win7 and try to convince me to get it.

Posted Image
Asus Vento Mini Tower Case....Asus M5A87 MOBO.....AMD Phenom II X6 1100T ( 3.3 OCed to 4.1GHz )....Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....Three Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III....Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III....8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600 RAM....450W PSU....ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Direct Cu 1058MHZ 1GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI D-Sub HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card....Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card....LG 24X SATA DVD burner....27" LED Monitor & 26" CRT TV.....custom pressurized air cooling system.... WindowsXP Home SP3 32bit
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

View Postsnorg, on 01 August 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

From what I read Win7 is not what I want, altho my system is more than powerful enuff to run it. I want you to tell me why I should get win7 and try to convince me to get it.

There is certainly the issue of security in XP - it is from 2001 and is going out of support. And Vista is a complete resource hog, and Windows 7 has made many improvements over that, being much faster.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

View Postsnorg, on 01 August 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

Hey Flashorn !!

Ya I got SP3.

Some of the "optional software updates" I mentioned are not down loadable so I am just gonna get all of them from windoze update.

Summer is going OK.
Hot & dry lottsa forest fires.
Been gardening here but its tough sledding cuz soil is mostly rock & clay.

Posted Image

Hey snorg !!

Heard about all the fires in your neck of the woods. Hope it's not affecting your home.
Also seen some frightening pictures on the Tube.

I don't really want to "Convince" you to get W7 but, was just curious if you had a look
at it and if would be interesting to change.

Yes, I remember your build to be powerful enough but, the programs you use Might not
work with W7 and maybe the hardware.

You do have until 2014 with XP then, M$ will not support it anymore. I suspect that the
next iteration of Windows will be similar to W7. They have put together a system that
could possibly last or outlast XP. BUT, I don't think MS will ever make the mistake of
keeping a OS around as long as they have with XP without bringing out a new one.

Everyone says that Vista was a failure. I can say with absolute certainty that it wasn't.
The Nay Sayers all (from the posts I have read) have updated from XP with the same
hardware. That will just not do. It does ask for more memory to run BUT, also has ALLOT
more to offer. My Vista is down to 54 processes and could go lower. It uses no more than
18 to 20 % of the 3Gigs of ram that I have installed. You do the math on that one.
It is much more stable and is faster than the XP I have with 1 Gig of ram PLUS Vista looks
allot better.

The one I'm typing on now W7, is my present for enduring all those years at work. It is
a Gaming platform and as such much more powerful than it really needs to. Suffice it to
say that, what ever MS comes out with, I don't think this one will have be upgraded
any time soon.

http://forums.pcworl...hat-time-again/

Talk to you soon snorg.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

Hey Flashorn !!
Hi my friend. :)

This system uses up to 20% of 3.5Gigs of RAM, rite now 41 processes are running and its using 17% RAM and 4% CPU.

I never used Vista but I dont think it was so terrible, some users can have problems with any OS.

I keep an image of C drive so this system will go on long past 2014 and I wont be doing any hardware changes to it. I dont plan to build a new machine in the near future but when I do I will use the newest OS. I want a CPU that runs near to 5GHz before I would think about a new machine.

This post has been edited by snorg: 04 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hey snorg, I am running Vista Home Premium 64bit in this Gateway. At present I am showing 70 Processes ( haven't really started paring them down yet ). Using 5% to 7% CPU and 26% memory ( I have 6 Gb installed ). I also have a Gateway Lappy ( P6813u ) I got for my mother in May '09 running the same OS only 32 bit with 2 Gb of ram. It is plenty fast in it's own right. When I started out with Vista. it was as a Semi peaceful coexistance. I have come to like Vista though and do like a lot of the new features. I didn't like what they did to the Defrag though and wished they had left it alone. As for the optional for Office, I don't have it nor any of it's components installed as I got rid of them, so I usually don't fool with those.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#8 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:14 AM

I coastie.
I always use JkDefrag.
I would not use office either, I generally dont use any MS apps like IE, Out look, or any thing else, I use third party apps instead.

This post has been edited by snorg: 06 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

View Postsnorg, on 06 August 2010 - 12:14 AM, said:

I always use JkDefrag.
I would not use office either, I generally dont use any MS apps like IE, Out look, or any thing else, I use third party apps instead.

I prefer Auslogics Disk Defrag - much faster than Windows' own utility. Personally I use several Microsoft programs like Windows Live Mail, photo gallery, etc, as well as some third party ones (like Firefox).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users