Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All My Icons Changed To Blank Pages

#1 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Anybody run into this? All of a sudden all my cute icons, the one for spywareblaster, avira and about 20 more all have this pain page with the right corner turned down. Yes that one. Now if it was that easy, I could go on my Vista home premium, click on propertys, click on change icon, oh, look, there's my pretty icon, click on it, ok, apply or vice versa I tried it all, nothing. I back up but a system restore didn't go back far enough to fix it I guess. Persoalize on desktop, change icons in the upper left corner, nope. I did change the internet explorer on the taskbar and thought I was on to something, but it changed back to that plain page. Any techie ideas? I tried exit explorer, and new task, start explorer in the task manager so far no go. Now I have to read the title under each icon to find the one I want (sob, I know)

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

View Postshiprock520, on 01 August 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

Anybody run into this? All of a sudden all my cute icons, the one for spywareblaster, avira and about 20 more all have this pain page with the right corner turned down. Yes that one. Now if it was that easy, I could go on my Vista home premium, click on propertys, click on change icon, oh, look, there's my pretty icon, click on it, ok, apply or vice versa I tried it all, nothing. I back up but a system restore didn't go back far enough to fix it I guess. Persoalize on desktop, change icons in the upper left corner, nope. I did change the internet explorer on the taskbar and thought I was on to something, but it changed back to that plain page. Any techie ideas? I tried exit explorer, and new task, start explorer in the task manager so far no go. Now I have to read the title under each icon to find the one I want (sob, I know)

You got me curious so I did some google searching and came up with this link:
http://www.vistax64....he-rebuild.html
Hope it helps.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm browsing thru all the tips but haven't found one that works yet

#4 User is offline   Hoop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hi shiprock520 ,have you tried to scan for viruses? Something close from what you mentioned happened to me too, I scanned the pc, and yeah it was a virus, hope that helped.
Mah FB
vvvvv The Sidekick vvvvv
Acer Aspire AS5750-2634G64Mnkk 15.6" LED Notebook - Core i7 i7-2630QM 2 GHz
1366 x 768 WXGA Display - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 4 GB RAM - 640 GB HDD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

#5 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the tip. I ran the Mirosoft malicious Tool and found nothing. My Superantispyware finds the usual tracking crap but Malwarebytes Antimalware finds nothing as well as my free Avira. I remember it was around the time I ditched AVG in favor of Avira. Revenge is sweet?

#6 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

View Postshiprock520, on 13 August 2010 - 07:37 AM, said:

<br />Thanks for the tip. I ran the Mirosoft malicious Tool and found nothing. My Superantispyware finds the usual tracking crap but Malwarebytes Antimalware finds nothing as well as my free Avira. I remember it was around the time I ditched AVG in favor of Avira. Revenge is sweet?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey shiprock !!

How long has this been going on ? You said it was around the time yo uninstalled AVG so how long ago??

IF it's not too long ago, do a System Restore and then uninstall AVG and run the AVG Removal tool from this site:

http://www.avg.com/u.../download-tools .

Don't forget to choose the RIGHT version "32 or 64bit".

IF you can't go back that far with System Restore then, download the uninstall tool and a NEW VERSION of AVIRA.
Go OFF LINE and uninstall AVIRA. Once the uninstall done, re-boot. Run the Unistaller for AVG and re-install
AVIRA.

Post your progress.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#7 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the help. I usually go into programs and delete the, in this case the AVG, folder but went ahead and ran the removal tool anyway. It seemed to not help. So I ditched Avira for the Microsoft security essentials couple of days ago, and found it a few trojans, Superantispyware found a few trackers. Whats strange is my laptop or netbook have not experienced this and have the color icons, yet my PC here I have to read every icon as they all look alike. Like I have mentioned before I have tried all the easy things, exit explorer, properties on each icon, control panel except the computer icon is right recycle icon is good, and Secunia PSI icons are all as they should. I may have to give up on the other twenty blank icons. Thanks again

#8 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

View Postshiprock520, on 16 August 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

<br />Thanks for the help. I usually go into programs and delete the, in this case the AVG, folder but went ahead and ran the removal tool anyway. It seemed to not help. So I ditched Avira for the Microsoft security essentials couple of days ago,  and found it a few trojans, Superantispyware found a few trackers. Whats strange is my laptop or netbook have not experienced this and have the color icons, yet my PC here I have to read every icon as they all look alike. Like I have mentioned before I have tried all the easy things, exit explorer, properties on each icon, control panel except the computer icon is right recycle icon is good, and Secunia PSI icons are all as they should. I may have to give up on the other twenty blank icons. Thanks again<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey shiprock !!

Have you tried to create new shortcuts for those programs.
Maybe something on your PC got corrupted and resulted in
the icons you now have. Try creating new shortcuts to those
programs and see IF they come up the same way.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#9 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Hey Flash, I have gone into programs and added a shortcut, but they come out with that page with the corner turned down. This one has me done in as I can usually work out a problem. What suddenly changed them all I can't figure it out. I wrote Leo Notenboom (ask leo) and I guess my problem isn't hard enough for him. Also The Tech Guy people don't have an answer. My bookmarks haven't changed, but control panel, and task bar are like this, also lost that little window that used to pop up when you hover the mouse over it on the taskbar. Words show up instead. Im still open for any ideas as I don't do business or work on this PC Thanks, keep the ideas coming.

#10 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

View Postshiprock520, on 17 August 2010 - 10:40 AM, said:

<br />Hey Flash, I have gone into programs and added a shortcut, but they come out with that page with the corner turned down. This one has me done in as I can usually work out a problem. What suddenly changed them all I can't figure it out. I wrote Leo Notenboom (ask leo) and I guess my problem isn't hard enough for him. Also The Tech Guy people don't have an answer. My bookmarks haven't changed, but control panel, and task bar are like this, also lost that little window that used to pop up when you hover the mouse over it on the taskbar. Words show up instead. Im still open for any ideas as I don't do business or work on this PC Thanks, keep the ideas coming.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey Shiprock !!

Could you post a sreenie of those icons and the task bar please??
You'll have to upload to photobuckets or imageshack and then,
copy and paste the image[img] code in your next reply. It would look like this Without any spaces in the code : [IMG] http://i454.photobuc...perCapture1.jpg

to give you this :

Posted Image

Do you still have the install disc for that OS?? IF so, try a Repair
of the OS. I have a feeling something did get corrupted and could
possibly be repaired with the disc.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#11 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

I have two that did that in Windows 7 ( Malwarebytes & HW Monitor ). They were fine until after I dropped them into the Task Bar, then it changed to the plain Jane with the corner turned down. The rest are fine. Haven't really fiddled with it though to see if I could see what was going on.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#12 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N00/4902887899/
I posted a photo here, Flash
In a reply to Coastie, I have Windows 7 on a netbook and have no problem even though I transfered all my Docs to it. Same with my Laptop (Vista) no problems. As a note I have always scanned everyday, kind of like the person who constantly washes his hands. Microsoft Sec. ES. Super antispyware Malewarebytes, Spywareblaster all up to date. I may have done something, but restore didn't help and as you can see a real pain looking at every icon for my choice

#13 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hey shiprock !!

That pseudo name is very close to Shipwreck LOL!

OK, Go to Safe Mode and click on the "Last known Good Configuration" . It just might
undo what you think you have done wrong.OR the install disc and do a Repair. I'm
sure this will solve your problem. Unless, you don't have them anymore??

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#14 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Okay something I have noticed. You said you ditched AVG for Avira, then Dumped Avira for MSE. I notice that you Ad Aware on your desktop. If you sre running two AntiVirus apps at the same time, that could be a problem.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#15 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 18 August 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

<br />Okay something I have noticed. You said you ditched AVG for Avira, then Dumped Avira for MSE. I notice that you Ad Aware on your desktop. If you sre running two AntiVirus apps at the same time, that could be a problem.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, I have to agree with coastie. MSE does not cope well with it's peers. It's either one or the other.

Have you run the Registry tool from Avira Before installing MSE ?? Avira recommends it even for a re-install
of their A/V.

Here is a site where you can download most uninstall tools for most if not all, Antivirus programs.

http://www.uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to Part 2 and find Avira.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#16 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

Man that's twice I had to log in today. As I mentioned I usually go into programs and delete the folder for any programs I delete. No AVG, no Avira folder and used the uninstall tools for both. Must I must remind you this all happened before all these changes. So I did the uninstall for Avira, and you're right the Ad-Aware and MSE don't need to be working together. But to say again I hadn't made any of the changes, Except, KB972696 Def. 1.87.225.0 automatic upgrade low level was installed, that's the only thing that made me look twice that night. Thyen I ditched the AVG I believe looking at my notes. The How-to-geek guy has no problems like this either. I am still googling, looking.

#17 User is offline   shiprock520 

• PipPip

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

I don't believe it matters where the help comes from, I'll pass it on as solved, the How-to-Geek guy came up with the answer
http://www.winhelpon...dows-Vista.html
But thanks for all the help, Flash, Coastie, and anybody else thinking for me, I was really bugged

#18 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

Hey shiprock !!

As I mentioned I usually go into programs and delete the folder for any programs I delete.

The regkeys that are deleted by the uninstall tool Do Not show up in any folder. So, if you simply delete
the folder for any Antivirus or a combination of, you still have to run those uninstall tools provided by
the developer of that anti-malware program otherwise, those left behind regkeys will impede on the
new install in some way.
Here is a site for most of the A/V uninstall tool plus a host of other useful programs (all free) :

http://www.uninstallers.blogspot.com/

I don't believe it matters where the help comes from,

I also think the same way as long as the site you are getting the info. from is reputable and not just a
"fly by night thing" site.

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting the link. I will use it in the future.

I also want to thank you for coming back to explain where and how you fixed your problem. It will help
others in the same situation in the future.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users