PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: If Verizon Snags The Iphone, Who Wins And Who Loses? - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If Verizon Snags The Iphone, Who Wins And Who Loses?

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

Post your comments for If Verizon Snags the iPhone, Who Wins and Who Loses? here

#2 User is offline   KevinNunez 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

AT&T and Verizon both win. Sure, AT&T will lose quite a bit of money, but it will ease the strain of the network since a lot of people will abandon ship to go to Verizon. A few people say this could be the death for Android, but quite honestly with all the Android phones out there I don't see it happening in the near future. AT&T could also be seen as a loser with all the money they'll lose, but as I said in the beginning, it'll be better for the network.

#3 User is offline   ArthurDent 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

AT&T will stop giving so much to Apple. I think it'll benefit. People who complain about the network forget that most non-iPhone users have no gripes, and that Steve Jobs almost boasted iPhone 4 drops only one additional call per 100. What he didn't mention was that the average phone drops 1.5 calls per 100.

#4 User is offline   ArthurDent 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Verizon would be dumb to give a deep cut of its revenues to Apple, who will demand a lot. Android is on the verge of wiping out iOS, but maybe Vz thinks that's not a good thing after all.

#5 User is offline   Kamen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Another point to be made is that of Apple's profit margin. Apple has the highest profit percentages of all phone makers, (Foxconn actually makes the iphone). If reports are to be believed Apple is making around $419 after you subtract manufacturing cost. This is because AT&T pays a lot of cash for the iphone exclusivity. I believe this is why Apple never brought the iphone to other carriers despite there past explanations. They have been focusing on profits. Now, however, I wonder if AT&T will still be paying the same amount and if they are not then surely Verizon won't be either. This would lead to more iphones sold but at a lower profit margin per phone.

That is the story tech journalists need to write about. Just how does the loss of iphone exclusivity for AT&T affect deal they and Apple have together and what of Verizon?

#6 User is offline   BobSmithers 

• Pip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

How about we stop all of this monopolizing, exclusivity, nonsense and let the market do it's thing. A company should not succeed or fail based on whether or not they are the only choice. Fair market competition makes for strong companies and satisfied, repeat customers. Offer the products people want (the Iphone) at the best prices and back it up with excellent customer service.

#7 User is offline   asiafish 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

If Verizon gets the iPhone then I win another choice for my smartphone dollar. If Verizon gets the Torch then I win again, with yet another choice. As it is, my renewal starts January, so I will hold out for WinMo7 and then compare that to whatever the best Verizon BlackBerry and if available Verizon iPhone and make the best choice for me.

I don't like Android or Google, so that is the only one I won't consider.

Oh, the choice for me is based on which has the best support for Microsoft Exchange, the best web browser and supports tethering. If not for the lousy browser and lack of upgrade path to BlackBerry 6 I'd keep my Storm2, which other than browser performance is still an outstanding match for my needs and use.

This post has been edited by asiafish: 17 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

-

"An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Dr. Richard Dawkins from An Atheists Call to Arms, February 2002

#8 User is offline   artmantx 

• Pip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

View PostArthurDent, on 17 August 2010 - 02:28 PM, said:

Verizon would be dumb to give a deep cut of its revenues to Apple, who will demand a lot. Android is on the verge of wiping out iOS, but maybe Vz thinks that's not a good thing after all.

Seriously? Wiping out Ios? Good lord, alert the 20m+ users that their phones are obsolete. Dumbest comment ever.

#9 User is offline   MattPerkins 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

If Verizon gets iPhone then Motorola loses. They spend all their money on advertising and giving Droid users what they want that they toss their non Droid users to the side.

If iPhone goes to Verizon that's less Droid users. And those not owning a Droid won't buy another phone from Motorola because Motorola plays favorites and no one stays with a company that plays favorites.

If you don't believe Motorola plays favorites just look in the Motorola forums. See how slow others get their updates, bug fixes and questions answers. And how Droid users get instant updates, bug fixes and even free stuff if their not happy.

So overall if iPhone makes it's way to Verizon it will be Motorola who suffers more than any other company.

#10 User is offline   crosswordbob 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Android is on the verge of wiping out iOS,

ROFLMAO!

And people call Apple fanboys delusional; this is fanboy logic at its bizarrest.
If I dispute one single point in a post, that should not be taken as an indication that I agree/disagree with any other point made by that poster or anyone else in the thread. Or anywhere else. Ever.

#11 User is offline   MicroNix 

• PipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

While an iPhone on Verizon will certainly impact Moto sales, I think Android has established itself enough to take on the iPhone. Android devices are getting better on every release and there are enough of them to fit every shape and size desired. The Android OS is also capable of doing more (and does) than iOS. As Apple starts losing the "I have over 200,000 apps" advantage and other manufactures keep upping the game on Apple, it will no longer be the "untouchable" phone. Sales figures globally are proving that with more new Android phones being activated than iPhones. People are seeing that what Moto, HTC and Samsung are bringing in some cases, makes the iPhone look rather boring, stale and yesterday looking.

#12 User is offline   greg30127 

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

While I think the iPhone is a great looking phone and part of me would like to have one (I'm on Verizon), it's still Apple, and with that comes the fact you still can't change the battery yourself, and huge repair costs if anything goes wrong with it outside of the warranty (compared with other phones). I can't justify those risks along with the high monthly fees to use the thing.

Then again, I just got a Droid 2 which has about 8 defects in it and is going back, too. So much for that. At this stage I think going to a basic prepaid phone actually makes the most sense, because it seems none of the phone makers can make a reliable non-buggy smart phone these days.

#13 User is offline   Bruizer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

With iOS devices still far outselling Android... Verge of wiping out iOS. Funny.

#14 User is offline   cwrig 

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

View PostBruizer, on 17 August 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

With iOS devices still far outselling Android... Verge of wiping out iOS. Funny.

Where do you get your news? Android has outsold IOS the last 2 quarters.

#15 User is offline   gpitt 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

You guys calm down... Comparing Android to the iPhone is like comparing apples to oranges ( sort of (and no pun intended)) Android is an Operating System and the iPhone is a phone. Now if you want to compare Android to iOS that is a different story, but remember that to do so fairly (scientifically) you must run them both on the same hardware ( to isolate your independent variables). Also it follows that to compare two phones you must have them running the same software. Lastly keep in mind that this is not a zero-sum situation, for some reason people think that for Android to succeed the iPhone/iOS must fail and vise-versa, but that is not the case. Keep in mind that the smartphone market itself is expanding and is in fact big enough for both Android and the iPhone/iOS to succeed.

#16 User is offline   crosswordbob 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:41 AM

View Postcwrig, on 17 August 2010 - 10:16 PM, said:

The tweo quarters immediately before the highly anticipated iPhone 4 lauch, yes? I'm told they have shifted one or two of those.
If I dispute one single point in a post, that should not be taken as an indication that I agree/disagree with any other point made by that poster or anyone else in the thread. Or anywhere else. Ever.

#17 User is offline   ToyotaTundra 

• PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:24 AM

So explain how HTC and Moto would lose. You're assuming that people want an iPhony over an Android phone and you're very wrong. Can you please pull your head out of Apple's butt for a moment?

#18 User is offline   Bruizer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

Only if you don't count the 55,000 iPads daily and the 70,000 iPod Touches daily. In the phone market Android just passed the iPhone in the US market.

This post has been edited by Bruizer: 18 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

#19 User is offline   dreamerof 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

View PostBruizer, on 18 August 2010 - 06:41 AM, said:

Only if you don't count the 55,000 iPads daily and the 70,000 iPod Touches daily. In the phone market Android just passed the iPhone in the US market.

Not fair, you used logic and facts (devices not just phones) to back up your statement. lol

#20 User is offline   Vulpinemac 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

View PostKamen, on 17 August 2010 - 02:45 PM, said:

Another point to be made is that of Apple's profit margin. Apple has the highest profit percentages of all phone makers, (Foxconn actually makes the iphone). If reports are to be believed Apple is making around $419 after you subtract manufacturing cost. This is because AT&T pays a lot of cash for the iphone exclusivity. I believe this is why Apple never brought the iphone to other carriers despite there past explanations. They have been focusing on profits. Now, however, I wonder if AT&T will still be paying the same amount and if they are not then surely Verizon won't be either. This would lead to more iphones sold but at a lower profit margin per phone.

That is the story tech journalists need to write about. Just how does the loss of iphone exclusivity for AT&T affect deal they and Apple have together and what of Verizon?

So what you're saying is that Apple sells the iPhone to AT&T for $600, is that correct? And then AT&T only sells it for $200-$300 and makes up the difference in their contracts at only $15/month. Is that an accurate translation of your statement? And of course, this doesn't count their monthly service charges and data fees. Hmmm... That means that AT&T is losing money on me, since I only pay $65/month for my iPhone's contract plus $10 for a second line.

If you ask me, that $419 profit is massively out of line. Cut that in half and I might believe you. Apple's normal profit level is about 40%. This would imply that the actual sales price to AT&T is about $350 for the base model and $400 for the next larger model. Of course, AT&T will never tell how much of the iPhone's cost they're actually subsidizing. Economically speaking, the less they subsidize, the more profit AT&T makes.

Oh, and the iPhone 4 only costs $187 in parts plus labor for assembly per iSuppli. http://www.isuppli.c...to-iSuppli.aspx

This post has been edited by Vulpinemac: 18 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users