PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Google Chrome Uninstall Fails To Restore Registry - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Google Chrome Uninstall Fails To Restore Registry Regedit required to restore IE as default

#1 User is offline   rbbaron 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

I had to uninstall Google Chrome after finding it could not handle a corporate program. All was fine until I needed to view a video that was included in an Outlook message. I got the error message, "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact administrator."

This tip from www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm solved the problem.

"If you received this error after uninstalling any application that takes over the HTML open command (including, but not limited to, Chrome & Firefox browsers) you may also need to change the HTM/HTML association in the registry.

1.Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2.Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
3.Right click the value for the .html key and select Modify...
4.Change the value from "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile" (or from FireFoxHTML to htmlfile)
Repeat these steps for htm and .shtml keys if they exist. You may also want to check the xhtml and xhtm keys.

This post has been edited by rbbaron: 20 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

Hi, RB, and welcome to the forums.

And thanks for sharing both your problem and the solution you discovered.

The problem you describe is hardly unique to Chrome, or any particular program. It's pretty much the way these uninstallers work. I've always suspected that when developers design their programs' installers, they say "My wonderful program will be the most important thing on this computer. Therefore, I can alter the PC in any way I want." When they design the uninstaller, they assume that it will only be run by mistake. Thus, installers mess up Windows, and uninstallers remove the program's usefulness while leaving the mess behind.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users