Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who Makes Alienware alienware 15

#1 User is offline   violetgreenhill 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hi! I am thingking of buying an Alienware 15...I know that dell took over that company but who actually are making the Alienware computers...Also, is this a great laptopm for streaming video,movies internet?I know it is great for gaming but I don't need it for that...thanks

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hey violetgreenhill !!

If you're not going to game on this notebook, don't waste your money on Alienware.
Good gaming platform when they work and the service is well, not that good. Yes,
Dell bought them out but, Dell's reputation as far the service goes, isn't any better.

The same could probably be said for other builders but, more often than not, we
see Dell buyers on here complaining of their bad service. The ones I haven't come
across too often are :
Toshiba,
Lenovo,
HP,
Asus.

IF you will be doing only normal stuff on your notebook, I would suggest looking at
one of those I mentioned above.

To answer your question, Alienware came from a merging of two notebook builders.
Alienware, before this name sake, bought out Clevo which was a Top End notebook
builder then, dropped them to form Alienware from ECS and Uniwill.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

Dell purchased Alienware in 2006 and still sell a number of models from that series on their website. The actual components like the processor, motherboard, video card, RAM modules, optical drive, hard disk drive, power supply, etc. are manufactured by a number of companies from all over the world. They typically come from Asian countries that have headquarters or regional offices in the United States. They sell their components to Dell who assemble the systems and sell to you. I'm not sure if they hire outside contractors to do the actual assembly, but those contractors technically work for Dell. Is that what you were asking?

Alienware is an expensive series for the hardware you're getting. The base cost of the M15x is $1349 and that includes a 15.6" screen, 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM, 250GB SATA2 7.2k RPM hard disk drive, and no Office 2010 software. It doesn't really impress me. It would be fine for games with that 1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5730 graphics card, so it would be fine for streaming Internet movies too. It also comes with a Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card but I don't see mention anywhere about a wired-NIC (a good fall back option).

If you're not going to be playing the latest games on your laptop, you should look into Dell's Studio or Inspiron series' instead. The Studio series is aimed at media enthusiasts and the base cost of the Studio 1749 is $650 cheaper than that of the Alienware M15x.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#4 User is offline   IMaDEM0N 

• Pip

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'm pretty sure they are Affiliated with Dell right now...I'll tell you, Alienware seems to have changed a lot since when they really first started to get like national exposure at least amongst computer geeks like myself...I think I was a High School Freshman when they 1st really started to be seen be a real lot of people (gaming magazines & stuff is where I first saw them I think) I was a High School Freshman from September, 1999 to June of 2000. I remember, I never would've bought an Alienware Full PC, cuz y dad had taught me how to build them when I was in 4th Grade (September 1994-June 1995). I like the New Alienware Laptops with the Backlit keyboard on a laptop...that's cool...but I have a Brand new Toshiba Satellite that's not even a week old right now...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users