• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ntldr Is Missing On Xp Sp3

#1 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

All of a sudden over the last two days at start up, I get the message, "NTLDR is missing." Not good. Googled error message and found many causes:
1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
6. New hard disk drive being added.
7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.
10. Failing to enable USB keyboard support in the BIOS.

"2" may be the issue but can't imagine why or how to fix. Used sfc /scannow for "3" and "7" but no bad system files were found. Don't understand "4." Everything else appears normal so doubt "8." And the rest are most likely not correct either.

Also searched and found NTLDR in C:\ and other places.

The machine is around five or six years old so am thinking that the hard drive is finally failing. Immediately imaged disk with Acronis and ran smart test and error check on drive but no errors were found.

You guys think I'm correct about the hard drive close to failure and if so, what's the largest size that this system will accommodate? Thanks.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad R61i (Vista).

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

View PostKlaatu, on 05 September 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

All of a sudden over the last two days at start up, I get the message, "NTLDR is missing." Not good. Googled error message and found many causes:
5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.

"2" may be the issue but can't imagine why or how to fix. Used sfc /scannow for "3" and "7" but no bad system files were found. Don't understand "4." Everything else appears normal so doubt "8." And the rest are most likely not correct either.

The machine is around five or six years old so am thinking that the hard drive is finally failing. Immediately imaged disk with Acronis and ran smart test and error check on drive but no errors were found.

You guys think I'm correct about the hard drive close to failure and if so, what's the largest size that this system will accommodate? Thanks.

Hi Klaatu,
Is it your Dell Dimension that's giving you the problems? If so, I think either the f1 or f2 key at startup will get you into the BIOS. Sometimes that's all you need to do with a Dell to make it happy: go into the BIOS than save and exit.
I wondering why the problem started all of the sudden. Have you made any changes to your PC recently, software or hardware? As I recall NTLDR is the file needed for NTFS OSs to boot and Dells get heartburn if an OS isn't properly installed or hardware is changed.
Just sorta thinking out loud...
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

View Postcompnovo, on 05 September 2010 - 01:15 PM, said:

Hi Klaatu,
Is it your Dell Dimension that's giving you the problems?

Yup, D4700.

If so, I think either the f1 or f2 key at startup will get you into the BIOS. Sometimes that's all you need to do with a Dell to make it happy: go into the BIOS than save and exit.

Think I explored BIOS already the first day this happened via f1 or f2 key as I remember seeing boot order. Made no changes and exited. That was yesterday and the same thing happened today but after rebooting (Cntrl-Alt-Del), system came back.

I wondering why the problem started all of the sudden. Have you made any changes to your PC recently, software or hardware? As I recall NTLDR is the file needed for NTFS OSs to boot and Dells get heartburn if an OS isn't properly installed or hardware is changed.
Just sorta thinking out loud...

I'm on this box every day doing stuff like adding useful software, updating existing software and sometimes deleting junk but the most drastic software change recently was deleting Adobe Reader. Secunia PSI suggested a security update to the reader so did that and rebooted. But then the desktop booted extremely slowly and startup programs were hanging so using Revo, I uninstalled Adobe Reader. But that was over a week ago and this NTLDR problem occurred only over the last two days.

Really, it's almost as if the hard drive isn't spinning as usual at start up. But that may be just an illusion as I've perhaps become fixated on the hard drive as the problem. Since NTLDR file exists on C:\, why isn't system seeing it?

Have been a PC enthusiast since around 1995 but have never experienced this issue so am at a loss on how to deal with it.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad R61i (Vista).

#4 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

The only time I've had this happen was years ago when I made the mistake of putting Windows 98 on an old IBM that originally had Windows NT on it, so it's been a long time since I've run into the problem. I assume your XP install is NTFS? I recall that FAT32 is one of the XP options but it doesn't sound like you've done a recent OS reinstall.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#5 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

I just found this POSSIBLE fix, don't know whether or not you've already tried it:

"You need to replace the missing NTLDR from your windows installation disc.
It can be found in (assuming your CD drive is D D:\i386\ntldr. Just copy
it to your root folder on your hard disc. You may need to boot from the
install disc and go into the recovery console to copy the file."

#6 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

The fine folks at Dell didn't supply this machine with an XP install disk but a search of NTLDR revealed that it's also in C:\I386 which according to this article, is likely a copy of the Windows XP Installation CD-ROM, or the I386 directory that is on that CD-ROM.

Noticed that the Date Modified's are different (C:\ on 5/7/2008 and C:\I386 on 8/4/2004) and that NTLDR is a System file. So am now wondering if NTLDR is corrupted, why sfc /scannow didn't identify it as such.

In the mean time, am going to go ahead and transfer file from C:\I386 to C:\ even though system started up normally today.

Thanks, BTW, for your advice.

This post has been edited by Klaatu: 06 September 2010 - 01:56 AM

#7 User is offline   magicman888 

• PipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

View PostKlaatu, on 05 September 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hello. Klaatu. i also experienced the same problem with you. i have a double operating system in my machine that time. what i did is i took off my 2nd o.s. and the problem resolves. BIOS issues of the machine. my computer is work out fine now. :) try to disable your 2nd o.s. if you do have. :)that will solves the problem.

#8 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

View PostKlaatu, on 08 September 2010 - 12:24 PM, said:

On topic, transferring NT Loader file from C:\I386 to C:\ appears to have worked. No start up problem since having done it. The forum came through again. Thanks!

Besides Date Modifieds between the two files being different, noticed that the file's sizes also differed albeit by only a small amount. Don't understand how that happened.

Hmmm, I don't understand either, but congrats for solving the problem.

#9 User is offline   greentech07 

• PipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:29 AM

Insert the windows disk, Once you enter the setup and it loads the entire program, then you need to press the R key, which is for repairing the windows installation. This action will take you to the dos mode where further processing will be done. In the dos mode, system will ask you about installation place. Most of the people install their operating system in the C drive, which comes at number 1 option, so you need to press option 1. However, if you have so many partitions or you have installed the operating system then you need to choose the option according to your drive name. Here you need to enter your password as well, but if you have not set any password then you can simply press enter.

*Then there will be a c:\WINDOWS> command in a dos mode where you need to write, "Copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\windows. However, if you have different place of your installed operating system then you will write the address of that drive. This is the whole process and now you can eject the cd and can press exit to restart the system. Now this process will copy the correct NTLDR file from installation disk to your hard drive by making your system in the working condition.

Remember to fix your Windows registry with Reg In Out Registry Cleaner and PC Optimizer

#10 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

View Postgreentech07, on 21 September 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

Remember to fix your Windows registry with Reg In Out Registry Cleaner and PC Optimizer

It's a shame that one line made the response appear like a veiled ad. There are plenty of good, freeware alternatives for those tightwads among us.

As suggested by compnovo, simply transferring NT Loader file from C:\I386 to C:\ worked.

#11 User is offline   userdb6u 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

In my case it is an issue of the motherboard forgetting BIOS settings because of an expired battery. As long as I keep interrupting the bootstrap sequence to confirm in the BIOS options that the boot device is the SECOND physical disk (C:), everything's fine. If I let the system boot the default sequence, the first disk (D:) takes over, but it contains no OS (and of course no ntldr whatsoever).

I've got to change that battery as soon as I get a chance.

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I had a cmos battery die in my spare PC and it made the entire machine fail to POST. Odd - everything I've found says that a dead cmos battery will make the machine forget the date, time, and bios settings, like in your case.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#13 User is offline   alishathomaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

Follow these guidelines:

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Hope it fix this problem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users