PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Apple Lifts App Store Approval Shroud For Developers - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple Lifts App Store Approval Shroud For Developers

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

Post your comments for Apple Lifts App Store Approval Shroud for Developers here

#2 User is offline   samiup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

thank you ANDROID.

#3 User is offline   BreLee 

• PipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

Apple should also allow third-party runtimes. I'm sick of not being able to use NS Basic for the iPhone. Let the users decide if this additional layer is worth it or not. We're not stupid, we can tell if a software is crap or not. Also, Apple's concerns of being too reliant on third party layers is unfounded.

#4 User is offline   QUADICON 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

The last paragraph says it all. Apple is getting their ass handed to them royally by Android. And teh fact that Steve Jobs was completely and inheritly wrong about Flash on mobile device. Flash doesn't use any more battery power than loading any other application on devices.

Apple is loosing market fast. Also there has been rumors and facts that show many developers who had a hard time getting apps ported onto iOS, simply has chosen Android because of its transparency.

If Apple loses devs, they lose almost everything. It was almost a repeat of what was happening in 1997. Devs were leaving the Mac platform left and right. Steve Jobs came back and did a deal he didn't want to too. He basically kissed Bill Gates ass and begged him to continue to support the Mac with Office. if the world's largest developer of software would have stop making apps for the Mac, Apple was doomed to shut down the Mac.

Same is happening again. Basically all the devs said 'either we get our way, or you don't get anything'.

Also I think what Apple did was illegal and maybe there were threats of lawsuits. First off if I am a dev, you can't tell me what tool to use to do my job. That's like saying, if you design my web page you can only use Dreamweaver. Tools are created for a reason. Sure you could use a screw-driver to pound in a nail, but the hammer is better suited because it is made for that. Same for app tools. Apple tool for making apps is a great tool and I like it. But, it is not the best. I can do better using Visual Studio and then porting it over.
Flash works perfect on my Incredible after I install a none stock released version of Froyo. VZW was taking a bit to long. So I took the chance and rooted it and tried a Froya rom for the Hero, which is basically what the Incredible is. Works perfect. Its fast and after turning off apps I don't need unning all the time; I get a full day of usage and I enjoy loading plenty of flash sites and games.

I even took games I made myself and load them directly from the file system. Something you can't do with iPhone. My emulators for MAME and SNES run near perfect.

Everything about Android is just better and if Apple wants to compete equally they either have to be nearly on the same page or get left behind.

Apple is losing big time and at Android's growth rate, Apple stands to fall out of the top 3 sooner than later.

And look who is coming up the block? Microsoft. The gaming features of Xbox Live on the phone is going to kill those petty kids games on itunes. I must admit I have downloaded a few and I liek them. But teh majority are basically equal to what I played on Gameboy back in 1989. Only with better colors and resolution.

When MS beat Apple back in '85, it was because Steve had his head so far up his butt, he didn't want to believe the facts that MSFT was beating them. By the time Apple decided to do something about it, it was too late. This time Steve is waking up from the nightmare sooner, it only took 3 years this time vs 5. But again I think it si too late.

So much for the 'magic'. I guess the Genie in the lamp was right, theer are things magic can't do. In this case, the magic couldn't kill Flash, or RIM or Android.

RIP iOS.

Maybe if Apple takes the lead again in something, they will figure out how to hold on too it.

#5 User is offline   Quant 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

Good move by Apple. Until they change their mind again.
Surface Pro | Lumia 920

#6 User is offline   virilan 

• PipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

I'm with QUADICON on this one.
History was definitely repeating itself, and yes, it may still be too late.

It's time for me to upgrade my phone (currently an iPhone 3G), and because of Apple's actions this past year, I've been eyeing up Samsung and HTC Android phones. This news is good, but I don't think it's enough to make me stick with Apple and get an iPhone4 (even with great AT&T 3G service in my area).

#7 User is offline   JakeB 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Basically PC World readers are like Fox News viewers; more misled than malicious.

Where's your EVIDENCE, Tom, that Android is the reason Apple has clarified its policies? Apple after all has the largest and most successful app store in the world, with Android trailing far behind in the number and quality of apps, and number of app sales.

Yet you've managed to lead a poor reader like Quadicon above to post embarrassing statements like "RIP iOS."

I'd recommend a site like Ars Technica for much fairer and more balanced tech reporting. You don't like Apple, fine, but base your dislike on facts, and not the distortions which PC World indulges in and gets away with through its "blog" defense.

#8 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

View PostJakeB, on 09 September 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

Basically PC World readers are like Fox News viewers; more misled than malicious.

Where's your EVIDENCE, Tom, that Android is the reason Apple has clarified its policies? Apple after all has the largest and most successful app store in the world, with Android trailing far behind in the number and quality of apps, and number of app sales.

Yet you've managed to lead a poor reader like Quadicon above to post embarrassing statements like "RIP iOS."

I'd recommend a site like Ars Technica for much fairer and more balanced tech reporting. You don't like Apple, fine, but base your dislike on facts, and not the distortions which PC World indulges in and gets away with through its "blog" defense.

Some things don't need spoken. Apple fought transparency as long as it could. Now that Android sales are catching up, and soon to be exceeding Apple sales, they have to do something to try and keep developers. Developers will always write for the most popular platform first. Hence PC's commanding most of todays software.as android sales pickup and exceed Apple sales, developers will follow the crowd, and the money.

You all like to quote figures on how much Apple App store makes every quarter, how badly will that swing if developers switch sides?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#9 User is offline   crosswordbob 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

View PostJakeB, on 09 September 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

Stick around; Quadicon needs no encouragement to make embarrassing statements.

And don't be too surprised at the reaction. Apple are showing signs of changing the practices that Apple haters have been complaining about. We can expect a period of confusion until someone comes up with the definitive reason this is a Bad Thing.
If I dispute one single point in a post, that should not be taken as an indication that I agree/disagree with any other point made by that poster or anyone else in the thread. Or anywhere else. Ever.

#10 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

View Postcrosswordbob, on 09 September 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

And don't be too surprised at the reaction. Apple are showing signs of changing the practices that Apple haters have been complaining about. We can expect a period of confusion until someone comes up with the definitive reason this is a Bad Thing.

The amusing thing here, is that they are changing those things that "haters" complained about, while the "fanbois" defended tooth and nail. Interesting how Apple is actually listening to what the "haters" want, and not what the "fanbois" are content with.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#11 User is offline   crosswordbob 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 09 September 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postcrosswordbob, on 09 September 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

The amusing thing here, is that they are changing those things that "haters" complained about, while the "fanbois" defended tooth and nail. Interesting how Apple is actually listening to what the "haters" want, and not what the "fanbois" are content with.

For my part, I've always criticized the opaqueness of the review procedure, and am happy to see this change. For the non-native source U-turn, well I'll see what it brings, and if it improves the devices I'll have to eat humble pie, but I like pie.
If I dispute one single point in a post, that should not be taken as an indication that I agree/disagree with any other point made by that poster or anyone else in the thread. Or anywhere else. Ever.

#12 User is offline   Quant 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 09 September 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

You nailed it. They are following the money. Fanbois will eat whatever dog food Apple shovels their way. The real world isn't that clueless.
Surface Pro | Lumia 920

#13 User is offline   Kazmatron 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

A step in the right direction.

#14 User is offline   megazone 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

Since I slammed Apple for the original decisions it is only right that I give then kudos for this move. Sure, they shouldn't have acted like dipshits in the first place, but it is a good thing that they recognized the problem and are correcting it. Telling developers that they can't use their preferred tools is just stupid, very stupid. You want devs to use the tools they're most fluent in. In the end it doesn't really matter, bytes are bytes. As long as it is compiled to the right bytecode format it is all good. (Yes, I realize there is more nuance than that, but overall that's true.)

#15 User is offline   MobileAppDevelopment8 

• Pip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Its a good news. Good step taken from Apple. Hope for more good news and comfortableness and freedom of using third party tools for iPhone Application Development.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users