Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fedora 12 And External Hard Drive Partition

#1 User is offline   nil1975 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Okay guys, i'm brand new to linux and i'm currently going to a technical school. My instructor recently gave me Fedora 12 on a cd. I also purchased a 500 gb WD external usb drive. I am running Windows Vista <_< on my laptop. What i want to do is partition my external hard drive to boot Fedora (so I can study and learn it), but, heres the trick: I want to boot on my hardrive with linux as an OS aaand I want to leave a partition with a windows file system on it as well so i can save my stuff from school on it and manipulate the data from my windows laptop. Be gentle though, as I have said I'm a NEWBIE!!! :blink:

#2 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

I would suggest setting up two partitions on your external drive. One with Windows installed and the other with Linux. If your computer can boot from USB devices (you'll have to check if your BIOS supports this), then you should be good.

#3 User is offline   nil1975 

• Pip

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

:(

View Posttechie4fun, on 11 September 2010 - 11:20 AM, said:

I would suggest setting up two partitions on your external drive. One with Windows installed and the other with Linux. If your computer can boot from USB devices (you'll have to check if your BIOS supports this), then you should be good.

My bios supports this but I dont have a hard copy of windows. I was thinking maybe i should partition it 250GB fedora and leave the other partition just unformatted if this is possible. and put the files on it that i need to be read by windows on the other partition?????

#4 User is offline   KingOfGeeks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

View Postnil1975, on 11 September 2010 - 03:27 PM, said:

:(

View Posttechie4fun, on 11 September 2010 - 11:20 AM, said:

My bios supports this but I dont have a hard copy of windows. I was thinking maybe i should partition it 250GB fedora and leave the other partition just unformatted if this is possible. and put the files on it that i need to be read by windows on the other partition?????

I would recommend UNetbootin. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ It's a quick way of installing an OS. (A good tutorial at: http://sourceforge.n...ki/installmodes ) Please make sure your data is backed up before you begin. :)

However, if you have a fast enough computer (2+ GB RAM), I would suggest VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ It's a really great way to start out with Linux, because the OS is installed on a virtual HD.

If you have a thumb drive, you can install Fedora to it.

If you don't have the time or the know-how, I highly suggest VirtualBox.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users