• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mcafee And Windows Firewall can't turn off notifications

#1 User is offline   slanoue 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Background on my problem:

I didn't use any firewall on my pc's for years because I'd heard that it might create problems with software I used (especially IM).

I use McAfee Security Center but I did not install their firewall because their notification in my taskbar kept bugging me. Then it started bugging me because I had the Windows firewall turned off. So I went ahead and put the Windows firewall on.

However, then I found I could no longer transfer files between my five computers. I tried to get help from McAfee online, but they won't help me since the problem is Windows firewall, not theirs (even though it's their stupid software that keeps bugging me!) So I just turned off Windows Firewall on two of my computers so I could transfer files (and now I can).

But of course now the McAfee Security Center keeps popping up with the error message to tell me that my computer is not safe--even though I went into navigation/general settings and alerts/protection alerts and checked the box saying "Don't show an alert when firewall is off".

So how can I either a) keep the firewall on and still transfer files, or B) turn off the stupid McAfee alert?

FYI all of my computers have Windows XP (one is Media Center), Service Pack 3. It's the latest version of McAfee Security Center (not sure of the number; they don't have an "about" menu on this one). The computers are all connected via wireless to my AT&T Modem/router.

Please don't give me advice to change to another antivirus program because I generally like this one and already paid for it.

Thanks!

Suzanne

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

View Postslanoue, on 15 September 2010 - 06:26 PM, said:

Background on my problem:

I didn't use any firewall on my pc's for years because I'd heard that it might create problems with software I used (especially IM).

I use McAfee Security Center but I did not install their firewall because their notification in my taskbar kept bugging me. Then it started bugging me because I had the Windows firewall turned off. So I went ahead and put the Windows firewall on.

However, then I found I could no longer transfer files between my five computers. I tried to get help from McAfee online, but they won't help me since the problem is Windows firewall, not theirs (even though it's their stupid software that keeps bugging me!) So I just turned off Windows Firewall on two of my computers so I could transfer files (and now I can).

But of course now the McAfee Security Center keeps popping up with the error message to tell me that my computer is not safe--even though I went into navigation/general settings and alerts/protection alerts and checked the box saying "Don't show an alert when firewall is off".

So how can I either a) keep the firewall on and still transfer files, or B) turn off the stupid McAfee alert?

FYI all of my computers have Windows XP (one is Media Center), Service Pack 3. It's the latest version of McAfee Security Center (not sure of the number; they don't have an "about" menu on this one). The computers are all connected via wireless to my AT&T Modem/router.

Please don't give me advice to change to another antivirus program because I generally like this one and already paid for it.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Hi Suzzane, First, you can configure Windows Firewall to allow those programs. which would solve that problem. I'm not on my XP machine at the moment, but I believe you can go to Control Panel and open the firewall, from there you can list the programs to allow. You were on one thing and nipped it in the bud, and that was to change anti virus. You have been around here long enough to know that there aren't many fans of McAfee or Norton around here. :D I remember one time years ago, thought i was being smart and had Windows Firewall running and decide to use McAfee's firewall as well ( It was FREE ) so installed that. I didn't take into account the hardware Firewall in the router. Well, after installing McAfee, I got the protection alright, I was completely blocked from the internet ( Over Firewalled ). :D Uninstalled that rascal. Anyway, as I said, you can list allowed programs in Windows firewall, so then it shouldn't be a problem.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hi Suzane :

Just so you are aware, I will let you know that the
Independent Researchers at http://www.av-comparatives.org
tested several security products in their "Whole
Product Dynamic " category and McAfee came in last,
by more than 5% to the product that came in next to
last . There are excellent, FREE, security programs
available, such as Avast Antivirus Home Edition,
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and "SUPERAntiSpyware" .
Assuming these 5 computers are NOT part of a
business, would recommend you try the last 2 on
my "List" !?
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#4 User is offline   slanoue 

• Pip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

As I said, the problem is being able to transfer files (using Windows Explorer), not use a particular program.
That's why I turned off Windows Firewall.

Thanks,

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

Hi, As I said, you can 1) allow the programs that are being trnsferred by entering them in the allowed section on the Firewall or 2) if it is form computer to computer, you can do as you have done and disable the firewall AND disconnect the computers from the internet to be on the safe side while you are transferring files.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   slanoue 

• Pip

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'm transferring videos, word files, text files, photos, etc. it has nothing to do with a program. I use Windows Explorer to transfer, and I already added that to the list of exceptions. It didn't help, and neither did checking the box "file transfers and printing".

So no one here knows how to turn off the annoying McAfee popup?

Suzanne

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

Ok. The easiest work around would be, when the window pops up, don't close it, but just drag it out of the way ( you won't get anymore Pop Ups ). As I said, I don't use McAfee, and I doubt that many if any regular members here use that mess either, so there is not that much familiarity with it.

#8 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

in XP-go to settings>control panel>security center>select(under resources on the left side) "change the way security center alerts me"--click on it--uncheck ALL check boxes

see link:
http://en.kioskea.ne...nder-windows-xp

This post has been edited by tman: 18 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

#9 User is offline   slanoue 

• Pip

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thank you, but they are all unchecked already.

It is not Windows security center that is sending the annoying popup messages, it is McAfee Security Center. Apparently if you don't install the McAfee Firewall it works with the Windows firewall instead....from what I have heard so far there is no way to turn it off.

Looks like the only way to fix it is to reinstall McAfee, WITH the firewall, and then turn it off, and turn off the alert. How stupid. Not sure if that will fix the Windows firewall problem or not, for sure, though...too much bother.

#10 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

1. you shouldn't be having problems transferring files between any of your machines--IF--on all machines--the firewall-exceptions has 'File and Printer Sharing' checked.(see attached)

the McAfee irritant can probably be eliminated by actually using the firewall--which shouldn't affect your IM apps or any others--assuming that you give the app access permission--usually a simple click--that only be done ONCE.

FYI--I used to use McAfee--but found it (over time as it updated) increased boot time from one minute to nearly 4 minutes--that why I searched for and found alternatives.

the reinstall process will only take a short while and should eliminate the 'irritant'--that said see this link for 'proper' removal instructions:
http://kcws.mcafee.c..._using_MCPR.htm

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: firewall.jpg

This post has been edited by tman: 18 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users