PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Myth Or Not: Is It Safe To Open An Unplugged Pc? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Myth Or Not: Is It Safe To Open An Unplugged Pc?

#1 User is offline   bascom 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

I enjoyed the cover story about PC myths but there is one more I would discussed. Is it safe to open an unplugged desktop or laptop to replace parts such as memory and PC cards? Some websites I have read said this can be dangerous because a person can get a serious or lethal shock if they touch the power supply. Other websites I read said as long as the computer is unplugged it is safe to open because you can only get a minor shock or no shock at all if you touch the power supply. Which is correct?

Here is some discussion:

http://answers.yahoo...18133744AAtKAMO

http://answers.yahoo...23003833AALF1eK

#2 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

I agree with your 2nd link, and the answer provided there.

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hey bascom, Yep, urban myths. I just unplug the power cord from the Power supply after I have turned it off, Once the green standby light on the motherboard has gone off ( a few seconds ), then it is fine to work in there. Be sure to at least touch and try to maintain contact with the case to avoid a static discharge that will kill components.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

I have done it both ways, but mostly if the parts are newer and not easily replaced, it goes on the grounded bench. If it's something I've not been in before, on the grounded table top. I have a smaller roll out pad with a wrist strap too for those quickies or smaller jobs and space is a premium. Just to be sure, always ground and check them for proper operation. Most will come with an inline fuse that will create a huge static prone pad if blown. Continuity checks should be conducted every ten uses or monthly if permanently mounted.

#5 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

You should be fine both ways. You can leave the power cord plugged in, attach a wrist strap to your wrist and case and go from there or touch the case before touching anything inside the case.

I usually leave my power cord plugged in and use the attached wrist strap. Some times I do without the strap.

This post has been edited by techie4fun: 24 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

#6 User is offline   pulsar2121 

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Yeah it's just fine. In fact many times I have worked on one plugged in. It is not advisable. But the reality is 12V can't kill you.

#7 User is offline   bascom 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the tips. I have a home made PC I bought from craigslist so wanted to be careful before opening it.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

View Postpulsar2121, on 28 September 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

Yeah it's just fine. In fact many times I have worked on one plugged in. It is not advisable. But the reality is 12V can't kill you.

Yeah but with probably 20 amps or so?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#9 User is offline   pulsar2121 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image
Actually 34 amps if you touch the right connector. Obviously disconnect the power cable before opening up a computer. Once it is unplugged(and battery removed if you have a laptop) it is completely safe to work inside of a computer.

This post has been edited by pulsar2121: 08 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users