PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Virus Is Believed To Have Wiped The Hard Drive Clean... - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Virus Is Believed To Have Wiped The Hard Drive Clean...

#1 User is offline   7upyours 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

ok here's the problem.. the desktop on my home network is believed to have been attacked by a social networking virus. what happened is when the computer is turned on, it only goes to the "DELL" screen the only option is to get into the bios or setup. what I have found out so far by mucking around is that everything but the hard drive is showing up in the boot config. also I tried to reinstall vista. but it gets to a point where it wants HDD drivers. I will repost with the messages from different pages that pop up with the messages.... what i want to know how ever is if the hdd is just done and I need to get a new one, or can this one be used still.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Try booting from a Linux (ex. Ubuntu) live CD. See if you can access your hard drive from there.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hi :

Just some Comments : Nowadays, there are few, if any,
computer "viruses" ; now there are many different kinds
to the extent that they are called "Malware" . However,
their Purpose is never to wipe clean a hard drive .
Social Networking Sites are a primary place to pick up
the worse kind of "malware", so unless you have top
notch security programs on your computer, such as the
pay-for-it versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or
"SUPERAntiSpyware", best to severly limit being on
such Sites .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

View Post7upyours, on 25 September 2010 - 08:42 AM, said:

ok here's the problem.. the desktop on my home network is believed to have been attacked by a social networking virus. what happened is when the computer is turned on, it only goes to the "DELL" screen the only option is to get into the bios or setup. what I have found out so far by mucking around is that everything but the hard drive is showing up in the boot config. also I tried to reinstall vista. but it gets to a point where it wants HDD drivers. I will repost with the messages from different pages that pop up with the messages.... what i want to know how ever is if the hdd is just done and I need to get a new one, or can this one be used still.

Hi, It is very possible the Hdd is toast. You didn't give the model # of the Dell, so hard to determine the age of it, although some Hdds have been known to fail pretty quick.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 25 September 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

View Post7upyours, on 25 September 2010 - 08:42 AM, said:

Hi, It is very possible the Hdd is toast. You didn't give the model # of the Dell, so hard to determine the age of it, although some Hdds have been known to fail pretty quick.

But if he has Vista, surely the PC is likely only 3-4 years old and shouldn't be failing yet... anyway, just try the Ubuntu live CD and see if your files can be accessed there.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hey Brian, I've heard of Hdd's that have died in 6 months or less, so it isn't unusual.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#7 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, Seagate specifically has had major quality control issues in the last year. Back in July I had somebody's two-month-old 1TB Barracuda on my bench going through a low level format to try to get his family pictures off of it before RMAing it, and my cousin has RAM'd three new Seagate Barracudas of varying sizes in the past 6 months.

I agree with Spiritwind in this case- I highly doubt malware wiped the HDD. That would defeat the purpose. If it's not showing up in the BIOS, it's most likely a hardware issue, either a cable, the drive itself, or the motherboard port.
"Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." -Alan Kulwicki, 1954-1993

#8 User is offline   7upyours 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

well I doubt it's a wire or port unplugged the computer is not moved from it's place at all. Any way since some one said that a "virus" doesn't exist any more it's all malware that I don't know. but I do know that a virus like problem is the cause. when I get around the computer tomorrow I will post the things it says. most says boot from CD or hdd drivers. the computer is only a couple years old.

#9 User is offline   EkuquoL 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

As many have already said... It could be bad sectors/vectors on the hard disk or the buffer has gone capoot. Not a virus, just a hardware flaw.

Signs of that can be, hard drive skipping, hard drive squeaking/squealing, or just stays on load up screen -- Not reading anything on the disk.

You can go into your system's bios to see if its a drive error... When you start your computer press the [delete] key. Look at your bootable drives, and if you do not see a hard disk - Then your hard disk is no longer with us.
[code][sub][sup][/sup][/sub]
[/code]

#10 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:36 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 25 September 2010 - 11:28 AM, said:

But if he has Vista, surely the PC is likely only 3-4 years old and shouldn't be failing yet... anyway, just try the Ubuntu live CD and see if your files can be accessed there.

A little over three and a half years ago I lost a HD that was only two months old. Granted it was in a newly set up Raid array that was on 24/7, but still. There have been many reports of DOA hard drives. They are an electro-mechanical device and any electrical/electronic device can fail prematurely. Typically they either fail early or after some years of service. The start/stop service in a PC is harder on the device than many realize. Hard Drives are so much more reliable these days than 20 years ago, but they still can and do fail early.

SnyperTodd

- Seagate did have a firmware problem that was causing clicking, noise and a lot of reallocated sectors. Anyone with a large Seagate HD with firmware version CC34 or earlier is advised to upgrade the FW to CC35 or later (current is CC46). I have 7 ST1000528AS drives in two Raid boxes with FW CC38 and they are rock solid after over 2,000 hours 24/7. We shall see over the long haul, but so far they are very quiet, and not errors listed in the Smart Info.

This post has been edited by rgreen4: 26 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

A virus wiped the hard drive?? It sounds a bit over the top. More likely, the virus corrupted the MBR (master boot record) and the parameters no longer match the BIOS discription. A boot to the OS disk might allow you to reset the parameters to conform to the mfgr specs. Possibly an install disk for the drive itself would correct the problem and allow you to reformat and install the OS. I always keep those disks from the mfgr, even if I don't use them or the drivers provided. They often include some good diagnostics to help recover problems.

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 26 September 2010 - 12:52 PM, said:

A virus wiped the hard drive?? It sounds a bit over the top. More likely, the virus corrupted the MBR (master boot record) and the parameters no longer match the BIOS discription. A boot to the OS disk might allow you to reset the parameters to conform to the mfgr specs. Possibly an install disk for the drive itself would correct the problem and allow you to reformat and install the OS. I always keep those disks from the mfgr, even if I don't use them or the drivers provided. They often include some good diagnostics to help recover problems.

Hey mjd, these days, more often than not, All you get is a bare drive. Meaning the thing is wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a box for shipping. No extra's such as a Manf. CD and such. That was the way with WD 1 TB Caviar Black I got.

#13 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:58 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 26 September 2010 - 01:30 PM, said:

Hey mjd, these days, more often than not, All you get is a bare drive. Meaning the thing is wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a box for shipping. No extra's such as a Manf. CD and such. That was the way with WD 1 TB Caviar Black I got.

Very true. I think they realized that 90% of the people are not going to use the CD anyway, they will just download the latest version from the company website. I bought two WD blue drives on a big sale from WD and was surprised at the packaging. The box is not much bigger than the drive, does have syrofoam protection, an instruction sheet and a package of screws. No CD even in that package.

Actually on the OEM drives, they are packed in styrofoam trays, it's just that when we buy one or two, they are wrapped the way you said. I bought 4 identical 1TB drives several months back, I got a section of the case styrofoam tray, Then the four drives and tray pieces were wrapped to keep them together. They weren't wrapped individually, the section of the original case styrofoam trays (top and bottom) kept them from hitting each other. Different. I guess if I had ordered 12 or 24, they would have just sent the whole case the way it came from the manufacturer.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users