• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Post your comments for 6 Pros and Cons About Internet Explorer 9 Beta here

#2 User is offline   DouglasAdamBrace 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

The fish tank demo is a Microsoft created demo page. Of course their browser is going to do better.

#3 User is offline   matthew234 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

tear-out-tabs started out with safari 3, not chrome

#4 User is offline   songdove 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

I haven't heard anything yet about security. . . drive-by malware installations are still happening in IE8. I had to clean up a situation just this summer!

#5 User is offline   lightsup55 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

The color labeling of tabs (as it is in IE8) corresponds to how a each tab was opened. There is no color labeling if the new tab was created manually (loading the home page, new tab page, or a blank page). The color labeling goes into effect when you open a link in a new tab from it's related tab. For example: If you were to do a Google search in one tab and right click on the "Help" link from the search results to open in new tab, the two tabs (Google search results and Google Help) would be labeled with the same color.

Now here is my question: I understand the concept of it and like the idea, but why isn't there an option to turn color labeling of tabs off?

#6 User is offline   greenlink23 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

First the color tabs is a feature introduced in IE8 called 'tab groups', which basically means:
"When opening links from a website as new tabs inside Internet Explorer 8, such as by right-clicking a hyperlink and choosing "Open in New Tab", this causes the browser to "group" the new tabs and the old tab together, adding color to the grouped tabs."

being a PC website i think the authors should know about that

second XP is almost 10 years old, [censored] off with the wining about it not getting new features/software and move on. ya, i get that people are still using it and they are feeling left out, but at my work we are still using win 95/98 and when we get a new program and it won't work with those computers, oops oh well. it's about [censored] time people moved away from xp its not the greatest os anymore. win 7 and (dare i say it) OSX are much better os today.

and [censored], you keep saying that things are not explained, like the color tab grouping or the 'dialer' page. for [censored]s sakes its BETA SOFTWARE! it's not meant for normal users it meant for IT pros and more computer savvy people so they can test and check for bugs and other problems. also it's still in development that means there are still things missing and things that will need improvement (visually and coding)

god i hate PC world 'authors'

#7 User is offline   greenlink23 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

First the color tabs is a feature introduced in IE8 called 'tab groups', which basically means:
"When opening links from a website as new tabs inside Internet Explorer 8, such as by right-clicking a hyperlink and choosing "Open in New Tab", this causes the browser to "group" the new tabs and the old tab together, adding color to the grouped tabs."

being a PC website i think the authors should know about that

second XP is almost 10 years old, [censored] off with the wining about it not getting new features/software and move on. ya, i get that people are still using it and they are feeling left out, but at my work we are still using win 95/98 and when we get a new program and it won't work with those computers, oops oh well. it's about [censored] time people moved away from xp its not the greatest os anymore. win 7 and (dare i say it) OSX are much better os today.

and [censored], you keep saying that things are not explained, like the color tab grouping or the 'dialer' page. for [censored]s sakes its BETA SOFTWARE! it's not meant for normal users it meant for IT pros and more computer savvy people so they can test and check for bugs and other problems. also it's still in development that means there are still things missing and things that will need improvement (visually and coding)

god i hate PC world 'authors'

#8 User is offline   Spytalk 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

Note to micro$osft: knock it off with the ongoing poorly-implemented semi-artificial suggestion-guessing behavior and make the freaking UI MORE CUSTOMIZABLE and less screen wasting (the way it USED to be, the way it USED to WORK).

Quote "...second XP is almost 10 years old,..." - you mean 10 years the most reliable of any windoze release so far, along with the familiarity of using it, that leads to efficiency, as opposed to forced changes and never-ending "learning curves" i.e. the inflexible "do it our 'new' way".

P.S. learn how to NOT double post.

Good article.

#9 User is offline   randomfactorink 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:06 AM

1. Firefox 4 also has GPU acceleration and runs the fish tank demo fine. Chrome dev builds have hardware acceleration, but it has to be enabled via a command-line switch. With only the accelerated-2d-canvas switch, Chrome zips past a lot of the IE demos.
2. X.org-based OSs has had this since forever.
3. Chrome pioneered this.
4. As said above, has been around in other browsers for a while.
5. IE is the only browser that would even need that.
6. Prism

#10 User is offline   redofromstart 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

Oh lord, don't tell me they put the toolbars under the address bar AGAIN. I removed IE8 because of that.

#11 User is offline   samirsshah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

A very balanced assessment by Howard Wen.

The only point I have issue with is XP compatibility. I think IE9 needs to focus on new capabilities Windows Vista and Windows 7 offer and leave Windows XP behind.

What is being done about rogue ActiveXs crashing IE8 and then IE9? Is there a way to certify ActiveXs? Is there a way to sandbox ActiveXs? T have a Realplayer SP ActiveX that consistently crashes IE8 but the ActiveX is so useful that I cannot get rid of it. Real will not answer my emails. So finally I switched to Chrome, which also has Realplayer XP extension, and will not go back to IE9 till the issue is resolved.

#12 User is offline   QUADICON 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

View PostDouglasAdamBrace, on 27 September 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:

The fish tank demo is a Microsoft created demo page. Of course their browser is going to do better.

That's just stupid. HTML5 is HTML5. How is it Chrome scores 100% on the Acid3 tests, but fail this simple page? Its easy. IE9 allows HA, while Chrome doesn't have this capability.
The same could be said of the ACID3 test. Remember how IE always seems to fail the test? Yet IE was far more relable in loading web pages. Yet Firefox would score high, yet would load pages very poorly. Even leaving many things out.

You're being biased because maybe you don't like IE. IE in my opinion tho a bit slower, has always been better.
Hardware Acceleration makes a huge difference. It is why Windows is great at these things and other platforms which I won't mention are horrible at doing the same thing.

Your conclusion is so easy to reverse.If a web page is great for a certain page, than it stands to reason if the coding favors a particualr browser more, it will work better with that browser. DUH!!! But HTML5 is an upcoming standard. If your browser is HTML5 compatible, why the difference? The difference is HA. No more, no less.

#13 User is offline   QUADICON 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostSpytalk, on 27 September 2010 - 11:06 PM, said:

Note to micro$osft: knock it off with the ongoing poorly-implemented semi-artificial suggestion-guessing behavior and make the freaking UI MORE CUSTOMIZABLE and less screen wasting (the way it USED to be, the way it USED to WORK).

Quote "...second XP is almost 10 years old,..." - you mean 10 years the most reliable of any windoze release so far, along with the familiarity of using it, that leads to efficiency, as opposed to forced changes and never-ending "learning curves" i.e. the inflexible "do it our 'new' way".

P.S. learn how to NOT double post.

Good article.

Apple does that all the time, yet I see no one complaining. Why complain when Microsoft does it?

#14 User is offline   Dropmeoff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

Still not gonna use IE.

I use Chromium, Opera and....LINUX.

#15 User is offline   PanderBear 

• PipPip

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

View PostQUADICON, on 29 September 2010 - 06:53 AM, said:

View PostDouglasAdamBrace, on 27 September 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:

That's just stupid. HTML5 is HTML5.

In a vacuum, maybe

View PostDropmeoff, on 29 September 2010 - 08:21 PM, said:

Still not gonna use IE.

I use Chromium, Opera and....LINUX.

I also browse with Linux. It's safer

#16 User is offline   beaker46 

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have Windows 7 Pro and tried the beta IE9 and had all kinds of problems. Most noteable was a "ghost" pop-up that blinked on and off in the upper left corner of the workspace. I bailed out and reinstalled IE8 and all the issues dissappeared. I like the features of IE9 and look forward to the production version.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users