Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple Bonjour Service

#1 User is offline   PersonOne 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:05 AM

What is Apple's Bonjour Service and what does it do/what is it's purpose? All I know right now is that it starts when you boot up and is using a internet port.

Is it bad, or what?

#2 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi :

Quite a while ago I came across what seems to be
reliable info that Bonjour is an unnecessary service
that also creates a hole in your firewall to
potentially allow malware to invade a computer .
Therefore, I have been recommending the info at the Raymond.cc Site as follows :

"Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Bonjour uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically discover each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

How to uninstall BonjourIf you’ve installed software by Apple such as iTunes, software by Adobe such as Premiere Pro, Skype, Gizmo, chances are there’s already a Bonjour folder in your Program Files. This service starts automatically and runs a process named mDNSResponder.exe which cannot be ended by Windows Task Manager. If you do not want Bonjour to be in your computer and want to uninstall it, sometimes you can’t find any uninstaller for it! Even if you go to Control Panel’s Add or Remove Program, you can’t find the uninstaller there as well.

Here’s how to safely uninstall Bonjour and remove mDNSResponder.exe

Just follow the few simple steps below to remove Bonjour fro your computer.

1. Go to Start > Run > type the command below and hit OK.

“%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” -remove

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Bonjour
3. Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old
4. Restart your computer
5. Delete the Program Files\Bonjour folder

The first command will stop and remove Bonjour Service from your computer. To confirm, go to Start > Run and type services.msc. Look for Bonjour Service name. If it’s not there, you’ve successfully removed it. "

This post has been edited by SpiritWind: 10 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#3 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

How-to-geek published a thorough article about Bonjour. I suggest you just disable the service instead of uninstalling it. Doing so will prevent access to the Sharing options in iTunes 10, but won't interfere with synchronizing your library with your iPod.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#4 User is offline   alice302 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

i do not know excatly, and i google the anser for you, hope it helps.

In computing, Bonjour is Apple Inc.'s trade name for its implementation of Zeroconf, a group of technologies that includes service discovery, address assignment, and name resolution. Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records.

The software comes built-in with Apple's Mac OS X operating system and iOS for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Bonjour can be installed onto computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. Bonjour components may also be included within other software such as iTunes.

Bonjour is released under a terms-of-limited-use license by Apple. It is freeware for clients, though developers and software companies who wish to redistribute it as part of a software package or use the Bonjour logo may need a licensing agreement. The source code for mDNSResponder is available under the Apache License.[1] After its introduction in 2002 with Mac OS X v10.2 as Rendezvous, it was renamed in 2005 to Bonjour because of a trademark issue.

#5 User is offline   ve7dcg 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

I discovered Bonjour today.

Trying to instal iTunes 10.5 on my 32 bit W7 laptop, kept stalling with message "Installation interrupted"
Google search suggested getting rid of Bonjour.

Success - iTunes installed, promptly connected with new iPad.

#6 User is offline   schuck6566 

• Pip

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

Ummm,just 2 all the genius here,bonjour is ALSO needed for Tivo to be able to access windows PC's. Soo,if U have a tivo box,U MAY want 2 think twice before deleting it. :blink: LOL.found out the HARD way.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users