Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spilled Water On Apple Laptop

#1 User is offline   ltamibrad1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

Spilled water on Apple Laptop today. Help took back off and turned a fan on it. HELP is it a ruined any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

View Postltamibrad1, on 11 October 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

Spilled water on Apple Laptop today. Help took back off and turned a fan on it. HELP is it a ruined any suggestions?

it all depends on how long it was exposed to water and whether or not you pulled the battery and AC power the moment the water hit it...

but which Apple laptop do you have? Model/screen size

a fan will help, but if you have a jar of rice and a big plastic bag, it might help speed the drying process
Even the experts started out as beginners

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

The first thing you should do after such an accident (and I realize you're getting this advice too late) is to unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Then open the laptop and leave it turned upside-down for a few hours. That way, the water has a chance to drain out.

If it doesn't work after that, try Crazy's rice trick.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to send it into the shop for repairs.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

I've left an iPod nano that went through a washing machine (fortunately not the dryer) in a container of dry rice for a few weeks, after that it was completely fine and functional (a few scratches on the case though). Disassemble your laptop as much as you can, perhaps soaking in dry rice will help.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 October 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

I've left an iPod nano that went through a washing machine (fortunately not the dryer) in a container of dry rice for a few weeks, after that it was completely fine and functional (a few scratches on the case though). Disassemble your laptop as much as you can, perhaps soaking in dry rice will help.

Just take it out before you cook the rice. Posted Image

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 14 October 2010 - 08:11 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 October 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

Just take it out before you cook the rice. Posted Image

Lincoln

Yeah don't worry I did!

I can imagine it now: dinner: Chicken, Rice, and iPod???? :D lol

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 15 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 15 October 2010 - 05:07 PM, said:

I can imagine it now: dinner: Chicken, Rice, and iPod???? :D lol

Note to self- proofread this thread on laptop after reading on iPhone, I could have sworn you all were talking about Dry Ice, it wasn't making much sense because it would freeze/damage the screen at -100 deg F, and dry ice only lasts a few days in a home cooler...

My friday goofy moment, I hope you have a fun fall weekend! =)
Even the experts started out as beginners

#8 User is offline   windowsrock 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 12 October 2010 - 08:05 AM, said:

The first thing you should do after such an accident (and I realize you're getting this advice too late) is to unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Then open the laptop and leave it turned upside-down for a few hours. That way, the water has a chance to drain out.

Lincoln

use the dry rice definitely. One time our roof caved in because of too much snow and my desktop computer was covered in snow. I put it in dry rice and it's fine now.

#9 User is offline   myloginname 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

LOL are you serious? your roof caved in, put snow on your desktop computer, and dry rice saved it?? Man, that sounds pretty funny...yet heroic at the same time
http://i774.photobuc...lienSigcopy.png
Credits: NASA, APOD. Texture and artwork by Adama, 2009.

Spoiler

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment,
would you capture it?? Or just let it slip?"

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

View Postwindowsrock, on 16 November 2010 - 07:32 AM, said:

Lincoln

use the dry rice definitely. One time our roof caved in because of too much snow and my desktop computer was covered in snow. I put it in dry rice and it's fine now.

Hey, desktops can at least be disassembled a lot more than laptops. Be glad it was just water. Not, say, coffee. I actually managed to spill milk on my desk (2 monitors, and the PC tower is on the desk) and amazingly all that happened was I got a little liquid in my monitor's integrated speaker grill (still a few white spots now, I can't clean it out). The keyboard was completely unharmed.
Spoiler

#11 User is offline   Hoop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 November 2010 - 03:37 PM, said:

Lincoln

Hey, desktops can at least be disassembled a lot more than laptops. Be glad it was just water. Not, say, coffee. I actually managed to spill milk on my desk (2 monitors, and the PC tower is on the desk) and amazingly all that happened was I got a little liquid in my monitor's integrated speaker grill (still a few white spots now, I can't clean it out). The keyboard was completely unharmed.

Hope your monitor came in black, the white spots would be a stylish addition.
Mah FB
vvvvv The Sidekick vvvvv
Acer Aspire AS5750-2634G64Mnkk 15.6" LED Notebook - Core i7 i7-2630QM 2 GHz
1366 x 768 WXGA Display - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 4 GB RAM - 640 GB HDD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

#12 User is offline   drastic19 

• PipPip
  • Location:South Bridge of ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hopefully the water did not damage the mobo. If the motherboard is severely damaged than replacement would be pointless. Techs would probably charge you an arm, a leg, an iphone, and a neck. A laptop replacement would probably be in order. After drying you will most likely know if the mobo is damaged. Best of luck

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

View PostHoop, on 17 November 2010 - 04:10 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 November 2010 - 03:37 PM, said:

Lincoln

Hope your monitor came in black, the white spots would be a stylish addition.

Yeah both of my monitors are black. Also, my PC case is gray, black speakers, black external hard disk... I do have a white CD drive (along with a black DVD burner) in the PC though. The spots are hardly noticable though, it's pretty small.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users