Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why 2 Hard Disk Drives?

#1 User is offline   judemo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:07 AM

I have an Acer Laptop with 64x2 Dual-Core Processor 32 bit OS. It has 2 hard disk drives. One is Acer C: Local Disk and one is Data D: Local Disk. Total hard disk is 120 gigs and is divided between these two hard drives. How does this work? When the one is full does the other take over? Just can't find an explanation on this.

#2 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:31 AM

View Postjudemo, on 12 October 2010 - 05:07 AM, said:

I have an Acer Laptop with 64x2 Dual-Core Processor 32 bit OS. It has 2 hard disk drives. One is Acer C: Local Disk and one is Data D: Local Disk. Total hard disk is 120 gigs and is divided between these two hard drives. How does this work? When the one is full does the other take over? Just can't find an explanation on this.

Hi,

I am not sure why but Acer took your 1 HDD and partitioned it into two equal parts, 60GBs each.
A quick google search led to this,
http://answers.yahoo...06031625AAvr2Sk

As far as your question about, when one drive is full will the other take over?
I doubt it. You must decide what to put on each partition.
Being C: contains your operating system, I would not fill this drive past 45-50GBs unless I had to.
You want to allow it to have room to function.
I would use the D: for pictures, video and other things first and fill it closer to capacity.

Could you post your Acer model type?
Do you have the spec sheet that came with it?

Rommel

#3 User is offline   judemo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

View PostRommel, on 12 October 2010 - 05:31 AM, said:

Hi,

I am not sure why but Acer took your 1 HDD and partitioned it into two equal parts, 60GBs each.
A quick google search led to this,
http://answers.yahoo...06031625AAvr2Sk

As far as your question about, when one drive is full will the other take over?
I doubt it. You must decide what to put on each partition.
Being C: contains your operating system, I would not fill this drive past 45-50GBs unless I had to.
You want to allow it to have room to function.
I would use the D: for pictures, video and other things first and fill it closer to capacity.

Could you post your Acer model type?
Do you have the spec sheet that came with it?

Rommel

Laptop is a Acer Aspire7520-5185.I have the spec sheet. Thanks for helping me. Have thought of doing what you said but wasn't sure how switch to the other drive unless I do it every time I want to save something. I know there must be a setup to make this automatic but not sure how to change settings.

#4 User is offline   judemo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Laptop is a Acer Aspire7520-5185.I have the spec sheet. Thanks for helping me. Have thought of doing what you said but wasn't sure how switch to the other drive unless I do it every time I want to save something. I know there must be a setup to make this automatic but not sure how to change settings.

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi, Judemo.

First, let's get the terminology straight. You don't have two hard drives. You have one hard drive with two partitions.

It's generally a good idea to have separate Windows and data partitions, although I've never heard a computer coming from the factory that way. It also doesn't make sense for them to be of equal size. Your data is likely to require much more space than will Windows.

I'm curious if it's already set up to use the data partition automatically. Would you mind doing these tests? (Because this is a new PC, I'm assuming in these instructions that you have Windows 7.)

• Click the Start orb, and then your name at the top of the right panel.
  • That will open Windows Explorer to your personal folder. Right-click the My Documents folder and select Properties.
  • Click the Location tab. Note whether the location is on C: or D:.
  • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.
  • Let us know what you find.

For more information on this subject, see Move Your Data to a Safer, Separate Partition in Windows 7 and Resize Your Partitions.

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

Very interesting link LincolnSpector

Could you explain a little further about the "automatic" data?
I should had concidered the benifits of drive D: should the OS need be reinstalled, music, pictures, video and DOCs will be safe on drive D:
being I had that happen before but with two drives installed.

Looking forward to the results of your requested test.

Rommel

#7 User is offline   judemo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

Hi.. my computer is almost 3yrs old and OS is Vista Home Premium. The specs say Hard Drive is 160GB SATA Hard Drive... I checked My Computer and the 160GB are split between a C drive and a D drive. Everything right now is on C drive. Nothing on D drive. How do I make the D drive handle all of My Documents, music, photos etc.? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Judemo

#8 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

View Postjudemo, on 12 October 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

Hi.. my computer is almost 3yrs old and OS is Vista Home Premium. The specs say Hard Drive is 160GB SATA Hard Drive... I checked My Computer and the 160GB are split between a C drive and a D drive. Everything right now is on C drive. Nothing on D drive. How do I make the D drive handle all of My Documents, music, photos etc.? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Judemo

Hi,

I am not familiar with any setup that will automatically do it.
If that gets explained by someone we'll both learn that together.

When you click my computer and see D:, it should open like a folder.
I don't see why you can't copy/paste over to that folder.
The reason not to cut and paste is to make sure there are no issues in doing so.
If its all good then delete the copy that remains in C:.

When you save anything, doesn't it give you the option to save it to D: if you browse for it?

Rommel

#9 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

View PostRommel, on 12 October 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

Um, not really. I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic" data. I didn't use the word automatic anywhere in the article.

I should had concidered the benifits of drive D: should the OS need be reinstalled, music, pictures, video and DOCs will be safe on drive D:
being I had that happen before but with two drives installed.

And your consideration is 100% right. That is exactly why it's a good idea to have separate Windows and data partitions.

Lincoln

#10 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

View Postjudemo, on 12 October 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

Judemo

What's the sizes of the two partitions?

Lincoln

#11 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

Um, not really. I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic" data. I didn't use the word automatic anywhere in the article.

LincolnSpector:

I'm curious if it's already set up to use the data partition automatically.

In post #5, your first post to this thread, you asked the question in the quote above my reply.

I was under the impression some kind of occurance would take place but it appears you were implying about it being usable.

Rommel

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hi, The simple answer is that D: Local is your Recovery Partiton. My eMachines came the same way C: Local and H: Local. No big deal and has been stated, it is one Physical drive that has been partitioned.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#13 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 13 October 2010 - 12:02 PM, said:

Hi, The simple answer is that D: Local is your Recovery Partiton. My eMachines came the same way C: Local and H: Local. No big deal and has been stated, it is one Physical drive that has been partitioned.

With Acer, that may or may not be true... in the past they have done that to force the file system to FAT32 (smaller than 64GB). They did that to prevent viruses that attack through ADS.

But, I do not remember if Vista will allow you to run from Fat32....
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#14 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 13 October 2010 - 03:40 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 13 October 2010 - 12:02 PM, said:

With Acer, that may or may not be true... in the past they have done that to force the file system to FAT32 (smaller than 64GB). They did that to prevent viruses that attack through ADS.

But, I do not remember if Vista will allow you to run from Fat32....

Yep. My eMachines was in FAT32 on the recovery partition ( 10 Gb ), but that was XP MCE 2005 and I think the total file size was between 5 and 6 Gb. As recall, when I was working with the WD, all I saw was NTFS as far as formats went.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 14 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#15 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

View PostRommel, on 13 October 2010 - 10:43 AM, said:

In post #5, your first post to this thread, you asked the question in the quote above my reply.

I was under the impression some kind of occurance would take place but it appears you were implying about it being usable.

Rommel

Ah. I thought you were asking about the article I linked to.

I probably used that word ill-advisedly. I was wondering if the computer shipped with a separate data partition and with Windows set up to save data to D: by default. We now know that isn't so.

Lincoln

#16 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 14 October 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

Ah. I thought you were asking about the article I linked to.

I probably used that word ill-advisedly. I was wondering if the computer shipped with a separate data partition and with Windows set up to save data to D: by default. We now know that isn't so.

Lincoln

You know that you have been reading web-crap too long when you see "D:" and thought of :( before I thought of a drive letter...
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#17 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

Ah, reminds me of the old days with the boot/application floppy in the A> drive and the data disc in the B> drive. I have maintained that over the years, with only one PC ever having just one single HD, and that was a laptop. I set it up with a "Data" folder so that all data files were in sub-folders under that.

Two drives/partitions makes it far easier to back up only your data on a regular basis. Now I have extended that to an NAS on the network (the equivalent of a huge B> drive accessible by all my machines).

Judemo - most applications have the ability to save the files anywhere you decide. You can also choose to direct your user>documents folder anywhere as well, although since I never use that folder, I have not done that.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users