Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setting Identical Folders

#1 User is offline   BrandonElmoLaLonde 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and I like to put out that I'm only 13 (but a fairly knowledgeble one!) I do a lot of work at my school, and bring my laptop in. The IT guy just helped me map my user network drive to my computer. I obviously can't access the drive at my house, so I was wondering if there was a way I could set some sort of a parameter that copies anything I save on my network drive to a local folder. And please, as I said before, I know my way around a computer, so you don't have to be super specific. Thanks in advanced!

#2 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

start by telling the forum what OS your running--in the meantime...here's a link to an article about 'syncing' folders

http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1646

also try googling 'sync folder with networked drive'

#3 User is offline   BrandonElmoLaLonde 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

View Posttman, on 08 November 2010 - 11:06 PM, said:

start by telling the forum what OS your running--in the meantime...here's a link to an article about 'syncing' folders

I have Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit

#4 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

View PostBrandonElmoLaLonde, on 09 November 2010 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Posttman, on 08 November 2010 - 11:06 PM, said:

I have Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit

SyncToy will probably do what you want get it here:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi.

I'm going to use your question in the Answer Line blog. Here's a first draft of my answer:

Technically speaking, it's relatively easy to sync (synchronize)the folder on the network with another on your laptop's hard drive--althoughyou do occasionally have to make some tough decisions.

But the real issue is: Do you have a right to copy thosefiles onto your hard drive, fiddle with them at home, and then copy them back?The answer will quite likely be "No."

Discuss the issue with your IT department first. See if thepeople in charge of those computers and the data on them object. There are somevery good reasons why they might:

* The files may contain private or otherwise sensitive informationthat's not allowed to leave the building.

* The folks in IT may have their own preferred tool forsyncing the files.

* What you want to do may not be necessary. With the properpassword and virtual private network (VPN), you may be able to access folderover the Internet.

* They could be concerned about what would happen if a fileyou changed at home overwrote one that someone else changed since the last timeyou synced.

* They may another reason, and frankly, they don't have toexplain it to you.

But if they say it's okay, I'm going to recommend two freesync programs.

The first is Microsoft's SyncToy--aremarkably easy program to use. Everything about the user interface isextremely intuitive.

But I caught a serious shortcoming in SyncToy. If a file ischanged in both folders between syncs, the one on the left will overwrite theone on the right. (As with most sync programs, SyncToy displays the two foldersyou're syncing side-by-side, and you choose which is left and which is rightwhen you initially set up the relationship.)

Allway Sync isn'tquite as easy to use, although it isn't particularly difficult, either. What'smore, it's only free for non-commercial use. (Commercial users will have to buythe $20 Allway Sync Pro.)

When setting up Allway Sync for network syncing, you'll wantto select Network folder on left side's pull-down menu. Unfortunately, theprogram won't let you browse to a networked folder; you'll have to type in orpaste the path into the appropriate folder. If that bothers you, you can browseto the folder in Windows Explorer, then select and copy the path at the top ofthe Explorer folder, and paste it into Allway Sync.

On the program's right side, select Windows folder. Thistime, you can browse.

If Allway Sync sees that a file has changed in bothlocations since the last sync, it will tell you that there is a"Questionable file" and recommend a "manual review."

#6 User is offline   CPTHADDOCK 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:25 AM

Bonjour à tous,
I enjoy using SyncToy from the beginning of 2010 as Backup program. I save all version of movies,I make with my camera. all my files are named
Like this : yyyymmdd_whodoit_purposeof job this way I keep version and they are directly classified by date. I can search by : whodoit or purpose with "SUPERFINDER" another nice tool.
Have a good day

#7 User is offline   Abandon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

Are you sure your school doesn't have a network portal? Mine has one (myportal.dvusd.org) and we can log in remotely there, and work with the files we have saved on our server documents.

Try "myportal.(your districts accronym).org and see what happens.
  • Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM SE2
  • Processor: AMD Phenom x4 9850 @ 2.6 MHz
  • Physical Memory: 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (Overclocked)
  • Hard Disk: Maxtor 6L160P0 (160GB)
  • DVD-Rom Drive: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801
  • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
  • Sound Card: X-fi Sound Blaster xTreme Gamer Edition
  • Case: Thermaltake Armor A90

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

View PostCPTHADDOCK, on 10 December 2010 - 02:25 AM, said:

Bonjour à tous,
I enjoy using SyncToy from the beginning of 2010 as Backup program. I save all version of movies,I make with my camera. all my files are named
Like this : yyyymmdd_whodoit_purposeof job this way I keep version and they are directly classified by date. I can search by : whodoit or purpose with "SUPERFINDER" another nice tool.
Have a good day

Hi. That sounds like a very good system. Sure makes it easy to bring up the files when needed. :D
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users