• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

W7 Upgrade Vs. W7 Oem

#1 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

I am curious why this upgrade version of professional, http://www.tigerdire...44&Sku=M17-1145 is more expensive this http://www.tigerdire...34&Sku=M17-7306 OEM full version of W7.

If someone can enlighten me I'd appriciate it.

Thanks,
Rommel

This post has been edited by Rommel: 14 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Is the upgrade 32-bit or 64-bit?

I think it may be because one is OEM (can't be transferred) and the other is Retail (can be transferred, but requires another license).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

The upgrades work with either x86 or x64. I think LiveBrianD is correct as to why the upgrade is more expensive than the OEM. In addition, if you're upgrading (even from Vista), you won't have to reinstall other applications and set personal settings.

Those products are available cheaper on Newegg.com:
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - $175 (save $25)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM - $140 (save $10)
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#4 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 14 December 2010 - 03:46 PM, said:

I think it may be because one is OEM (can't be transferred) and the other is Retail (can be transferred, but requires another license).

So if one was to resale the upgrade thats $200, how much is a license and how is it obtained?

Rommel

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

View PostAgentF, on 14 December 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

The upgrades work with either x86 or x64. I think LiveBrianD is correct as to why the upgrade is more expensive than the OEM. In addition, if you're upgrading (even from Vista), you won't have to reinstall other applications and set personal settings.

Those products are available cheaper on Newegg.com:
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - $175 (save $25)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM - $140 (save $10)

Oh I forgot that all retail packages come with 32-bit and 64-bit media.

I don't recommend doing an upgrade (I know there's a recent post on that, I can't find it right now though).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 14 December 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

Oh I forgot that all retail packages come with 32-bit and 64-bit media.

I don't recommend doing an upgrade (I know there's a recent post on that, I can't find it right now though).

Sorry for leaving out that I actually have two of the upgrades I linked to and are currently using them.

I usaully install full versions but being these are transferable perhaps I'll keep them.

One of them I may get ride of, thats part of why I am asking.

Thank you for the info.

Rommel

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

Oh and one thing to remember - you can do a clean install with upgrade media - but you have to go through the pain of installing an older OS first, only to erase it right after (if reinstalling).
Spoiler

#8 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:07 AM

I bolded a section of your quote.
This is what I need to look into.
Thanks,

Rommel

#9 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:33 AM

View PostRommel, on 15 December 2010 - 04:07 AM, said:

I bolded a section of your quote.
This is what I need to look into.
Thanks,

Rommel

Rommel,
I'm not quite sure what LiveBrian meant regarding Retail, but to clarify (no offense meant to LiveBrian): You can have retail on only one computer at a time, but you can transfer it as often as you like (something you can't do with OEM) and still use the same license key. Sometimes you have to call MS and explain that you've moved the OS from one PC to another but that's a quick and painless process.

I always buy the upgrade versions for the portability (and lower price) even though, as has been stated, you have to install the old OS before you can install the upgrade (in most situations). Since I don't reinstall very often it's worth the hassle to me. I was fortunate with Win7, I pre-ordered my first copy when it was $50, and recently bought the family pack from newegg --- the last I checked you can get three licenses for about $130.

This post has been edited by compnovo: 15 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#10 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

View Postcompnovo, on 15 December 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

Rommel,
I'm not quite sure what LiveBrian meant regarding Retail, but to clarify (no offense meant to LiveBrian): You can have retail on only one computer at a time, but you can transfer it as often as you like (something you can't do with OEM) and still use the same license key. Sometimes you have to call MS and explain that you've moved the OS from one PC to another but that's a quick and painless process.

I always buy the upgrade versions for the portability (and lower price) even though, as has been stated, you have to install the old OS before you can install the upgrade (in most situations). Since I don't reinstall very often it's worth the hassle to me. I was fortunate with Win7, I pre-ordered my first copy when it was $50, and recently bought the family pack from newegg --- the last I checked you can get three licenses for about $130.

Hi compnovo.

That makes sense being the upgrade is priced much higher then the OEM full version.
I understand OEMs being thats what I buy, well, ecept the upgrade I bought.
Like you I bought the pro upgrade that was $100 prior to prerelease.

Anyway, without going into detail, this was something I needed to know about my upgrade version I have.
Thank you.

Rommel

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Yeah I always buy OEM - note that I haven't had to buy a copy of Windows recently except for this PC a year ago. All the PCs in my house were at least 5 years old (and XP), within the past year we've replaced most of them with new Windows 7 PCs.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users