Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help With Setting Up A New Computer

#1 User is offline   wlpncp 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

I have hooked up my new Acer Aspire computer (Windows 7), but am not sure what to do next. I haven't downloaded any computer or monitor drivers, or done anything else. I hope I am not asking too much for guidance on how to get up and running. I need to connect this computer wirelessly to my router. Also need to be able to print wirelessly from this new computer to my printer. Do I do this through Windows 7 Home Group? How? Should I do a "Clean Install"? I'm not even sure what that is. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

This post has been edited by wlpncp: 04 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

Hi, As for the computer, you don't need to download and install any drivers, except for a dedicated Video card should you install one. Also, you would need to install the printer drivers. You can do that from the disk that came with it, but I prefer going to the manufacturer's site and getting them from there as they will be the latest. I haven't worked with a wireless printer, so really don't have a lot of info on how that works ( my brother will be hooking up a new wireless printer today, and I expect a lot of phone calls ).

This post has been edited by coastie65: 05 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:26 AM

View Postwlpncp, on 04 February 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

I have hooked up my new Acer Aspire computer (Windows 7), but am not sure what to do next. I haven't downloaded any computer or monitor drivers, or done anything else. I hope I am not asking too much for guidance on how to get up and running. I need to connect this computer wirelessly to my router. Also need to be able to print wirelessly from this new computer to my printer. Do I do this through Windows 7 Home Group? How? Should I do a "Clean Install"? I'm not even sure what that is. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Other than a driver for your printer, you likely should not need any additional drivers unless you have other devices that did not come with the computer to hook up to it. If anything is need for the monitor, Windows should automatically find and install it for you.

You will likely want to install some anti-virus software on it right away. There is a good chance that it came with an anti-virus software. If so, you will have to decide if you want to stick with that program or get something else.

Is the computer a laptop or a desktop? You posted in the Desktop forum, but you question about connecting wirelessly kind of suggests that it might be a laptop as it is much more rare to use a wireless connection with a desktop. Your answer to this could impact the issue of how to connect it to the router as well as how to print from it.

A "clean install" is basically a complete wipe and re-install of everything. Since this is a new computer, you are basically at a "clean install" type point. What you might want to consider doing is removing the "bloatware" that might have shipped with your computer. This would be all the various "free" software programs that Acer installed on the computer that you may not want. Some people like to do that as it can potentially speed things up a little bit.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:45 AM

OOPs, I forgot to touch on the "Clean Install" thing, but smax covered that pretty well. As for the wireless, as I said, I haven't used a wireless printer, so have little info on it. My brother is using one with a desktop. It is primarily due to space issues as he doesn't have room for a printer in the location where he has the computer. I'm not sure if the printer utililizes the router in wireless. It may be like a wireless mouse with a USB plug in. As I said, I haven't worked with a wireless printer ( do have a wireless mouse though ).

UPDATE: Yeah, you do need the router as I just checked. Once the printer drivers are in and the printer set up, just use the Windows wizard to add the printer to your network.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 05 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

Perhaps some of the info in Woody Leonhard's article
"Seven simple steps for setting up Windows 7" at
http://WindowsSecret...m/2011/01/27/01
MAY help !? The only part of the article I disagree with is about using Microsoft Security Essentials .
It seems the vast majority of Windows Secrets columnists promote this program when there are equally good, if not sometimes better, antivirus programs .

This post has been edited by SpiritWind: 05 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

As for included security software, beware that often they'll give you something like 30 days of Norton. if you have that, you should probably install it before it expires and you forget. I recommend Microsoft security essentials. Also, crap is often preinstalled, try PC Decrapifier - I've never used it myself because I built my pc myself, but I've heard good things about it.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

For me, Norton is the first thing to go. Then I start on the rest of the junk.

#8 User is offline   wlpncp 

• PipPip

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thanks to all for your comments. So I understand from your comments that I don't have to worry about installing drivers or doing a clean install. This is a second desktop and I want to be able to print wirelessly, just like I can from my wife's laptop. Maybe Cisco Linksys staff can guide me through how to add this new computer to my network.

So all I need to do to get started is to (1) install anti-spy software (Comcast gives me McAfee, and I have Advanced System Care and Malwarebytes also); (2) make a recovery disk (A Windows 7 disk did not come with the computer); (3) delete unwanted preinstalled programs from the new computer; and (4) start copying desired programs to this computer from my old one. Did I forget anything?

Then all I need to do is start the learning curve from Windows XP to Windows 7. Piece of cake, right? My thanks to all of you again.

#9 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hi wlpncp :

I recommend you remove the McAfee program AND the
IObit company's "Advanced System Care" . There are
quite a few security programs that are better than
McAfee, since they have been a relatively poor
performer over the last couple of years ; I would
even recommend Microsoft Security Essentials over
McAfee .

As to the IObit company ( and "Advanced System Care")
they were caught stealing the programming of
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware within the last 2 years ;
can read about that @ http://forums.malwar...showtopic=33217 .
They have also played fast & loose with Trend Micro's
"HijackThis" program, with a copycat of their "own" .
With a track record like that, sounds like a company
to be avoided !?
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostSpiritWind, on 08 February 2011 - 10:57 AM, said:

Hi wlpncp :

I recommend you remove the McAfee program AND the
IObit company's "Advanced System Care" . There are
quite a few security programs that are better than
McAfee, since they have been a relatively poor
performer over the last couple of years ; I would
even recommend Microsoft Security Essentials over
McAfee .

As to the IObit company ( and "Advanced System Care")
they were caught stealing the programming of
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware within the last 2 years ;
can read about that @ http://forums.malwar...showtopic=33217 .
They have also played fast & loose with Trend Micro's
"HijackThis" program, with a copycat of their "own" .
With a track record like that, sounds like a company
to be avoided !?

WOT also thinks IObit is bad. I'd avoid them.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

View Postwlpncp, on 07 February 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

Thanks to all for your comments. So I understand from your comments that I don't have to worry about installing drivers or doing a clean install. This is a second desktop and I want to be able to print wirelessly, just like I can from my wife's laptop. Maybe Cisco Linksys staff can guide me through how to add this new computer to my network.

You probably have this covered already, but just to be on the safe side...

Most desktops, unlike laptops, do not come with a wireless adapter. Thus, if you want to wirelessly connect to your network and print from the desktop, you will need to make sure it either comes with a WiFi card/adapter or go out and get one.

As I said, you may already have accounted for this and have the wireless card/adapter, but thought I would mention it in case you did not.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#12 User is offline   wlpncp 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

View Postsmax013, on 09 February 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

View Postwlpncp, on 07 February 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

You probably have this covered already, but just to be on the safe side...

Most desktops, unlike laptops, do not come with a wireless adapter. Thus, if you want to wirelessly connect to your network and print from the desktop, you will need to make sure it either comes with a WiFi card/adapter or go out and get one.

As I said, you may already have accounted for this and have the wireless card/adapter, but thought I would mention it in case you did not.

The computer has a WLAN4: IEEE 802.11 b/g wireless card. So I guess that is O.K. and allow the wireless connection that I desire, Right? Would I benefit from replacing that card with a b/g/n card? My router is b/g/n.

#13 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

You should be fine. This thing came with some loose wires laying in the bottom that I found out, went to the antenna for the wireless, but no card. No biggie as I Hard wire anyway with the desktop ( My Laptop & PS3 are connected wireless ).

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

View Postwlpncp, on 17 February 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

The computer has a WLAN4: IEEE 802.11 b/g wireless card. So I guess that is O.K. and allow the wireless connection that I desire, Right? Would I benefit from replacing that card with a b/g/n card? My router is b/g/n.

I see that you already started a thread on that here: http://forums.pcworl...639#entry453639
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users