Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recommended Software With Malware

#1 User is offline   amark 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

Just a heads up, though way late...but wanted to say something.

I use MS Security Essentials and recently it discovered an exe called Open Candy on my machine. Two places, one installed by ProXPN and another by SIW. Both of those programs I installed, somewhat over a month ago, after reading articles on PCWorld where the author was jumping up and down about how great they were. SIW was kinda cool...ProXPN I have no use for, was just seeing. But both gone now.

This Open Candy is accused of supplying unwanted advertisements. And lo and behold my spam rate this past month has really jumped, so I'm guessing MSE is correct. Not sure why it took so long for MSE to find it, but Malwarebytes which I use to crosscheck occasionally didn't find it either. Kinda wish I was still using the Comodo Firewall on this machine as I wonder how often this Open Candy was calling home. Maybe it just called once on install...I don't know. It is a low level threat MSE says.

And I have to say I was very happy with how much information MSE gave me...wasn't hard to understand and I didn't need to start searching around for info. It told me where it was on the machine, who put it there and supplied me a link to Open Candy's website.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi, Amark.

Do you mean OpenCandy (one word)?

If so, it's not a serious threat.

OpenCandy is an ad server that developers can integrate into their installation programs. It only runs at installation, trying to get you to install another program.

There's some controversy as to whether OpenCandy should be considered malware. It's certainly unwanted advertising, and it does send aggregate data back to the client, but it only runs when you launch an installer with it. It may leave some files on your computer, but they won't be run until you next run an OpenCandy-equipped installer. The OpenCandy FAQ discusses this.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

I've been using SIW and it sure doesn't seem like malware.

I did find this about removing Opencandy though: http://www.opencandy...egistry-entries Interestingly, with SIW installed, I didn't the registry keys they listed.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 18 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   amark 

• PipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

Yes it's one word..and thank you for the information. I neglected to look around the OpenCandy site. I should do that. If it's a way for software writers to make a few bucks it might be a good thing...lol they just get hammered to produce free software by the public at large.

And at BrianD, yes SIW does seem like a really good useful program. Was very impressed with how fast it could collect the information, much faster than other utilites I use.

and to clarify, I doubt my recent spam problem came from this topic, probably a coincidence. Beats me.

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 18 February 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

I've been using SIW and it sure doesn't seem like malware.

I did find this about removing Opencandy though: http://www.opencandy...egistry-entries Interestingly, with SIW installed, I didn't the registry keys they listed.

I recommended SIW in a Windows Secrets article last month, and got a lot of angry mail from people saying it was malware. I did some research, and discovered all the stuff about OpenCandy. The article now recommends only the portable version. Since it has no installation software, it has no OpenCandy.

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   opencandyismalwares 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Unsolicited advertizement by email is spam.

Software executed without informed consent- or knowledge that harms the user is malware. "Monetizing" that behavior is beyond reprehensible.

OpenCandy is vile malware. This infestation of adware runs with inherited administrative privileges.

That's VERY BAD.

Can one trust a software developer who inflcts opencandy on the user to extract payment from each user for software provided to the user at "no cost"? How ought that developer be characterized? Wanting to be paid for one's labor is understanable. Wanting to be paid for one's labor after offering the fruit of that labor at no cost is "slightly" less than rational.

Opencandy cannot be trusted as they lie about their nature. Unwilling to fess up about their evil plan who knows what additional
GRAVE EVIL awaits the unwitting opencandy viewer

Opencandy hires LIARS to spread their fiction around the interweb: ["we believe our unwanted advertising platform isn't adware. Our malware performs a free service for the user that only COSTS privacy- and security which is a benefit"]

"...protests too much"

With dozens of millions in hand one would think SweetLabs, http://sweetlabs.com/about/ , could at least hire morality consultants to help them recover their dead dead hearts or reconsider their faustian pact.

Tar-, feather-, then flay them all at SweetLabs, OpenCandy, and all "developers" who employ opencandy in their respective installers!

If developers did give a frak about users then they would offer TWO download options, one CLEARLY labeled ADWARE and an explanation of the actual-costs involved. Developers if honest would cease labeling such software as freeware. "I expect to be financially compensated for use of my software. I have elected to monetize harming you"

Opencandy suggests disconnecting from the internet during the install? Yup, that is part of their "transparency" policy.

If you are ever concerned about any of OpenCandy’s policies, please contact adops@opencandy.com. We will be happy to discuss—and resolve—any issues or questions you may have.

opencandy is unwilling to require developers label their adware AS adware. opencandy has no ethical qualms about MISlabeling adware AS freeware.

Posted Image
Attached Image: opencandy-malware-facts--UP.png

^ with that in mind

Posted Image
Attached Image: PCworld calling BS on opencandy opt out default checked software selection policy.png

There is no controversy as to whether OpenCandy should be considered malware: opencandy is self evidently malware. The only people claiming otherwise not surprisingly is opencandy.

PCworld OUGHT be diligent in how they label software [in reviews]. To fail this is to fail its readers at best.

There is no middle between freeware and costware. However, adware is a subcategory of costware:

a COST much too COSTLY

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users