PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: The World's Running Out Of Ipv4 Addresses - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The World's Running Out Of Ipv4 Addresses What do you think will happen?

#1 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Yeah what do you think will happen when the world runs out of IPv4 addresses in a few months? I've heard that not much is being done to fix this. Will average users feel an impact?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 21 February 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

Yeah what do you think will happen when the world runs out of IPv4 addresses in a few months? I've heard that not much is being done to fix this. Will average users feel an impact?

Just move to Mars and get a new one, they'll have plenty. :lol:
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 21 February 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

Probably not anything significant. ISPs will have a costly upgrade to IPv6, which would have been easier if they'd started it years ago, but they didn't. You may have to replace your modem and router, but that's it. Windows has supported IPv6 since XP.

You'll find a good article on the subject at http://www.windowsit...-Internet-.aspx.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

Doesn't matter...haven't you heard...the world will end in 2012. :D

OK, if I re-engage my serious mode (it ain't easy, but I do it just for y'all), there should be minimal impact. Supposedly, they will not run out until Fall or so. In the mean time, the ISPs will need to do system hardware upgrades to move toward IPv6 as Lincoln mentioned. As Lincoln also mentioned, it might mean you could need a new modem and maybe either get a new router or possibly do a firmware update for your current router if it does not support IPv6 (it appears that mine does). Both Windows and the Mac OS (and I would assume Linux, but don't know for sure) already support IPv6.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

Do you know of any ways to force your computer to connect with IPv6? I've heard of a v6 facebook test - www.v6.facebook.com, but it only works if you are connecting via IPv6, and for me it doesn't. By the way, Judgement Day is coming on May 21, 2011, so we may not need to bother with IPv6 after all! :D :D :D

Fortunately, all the computers in my house are recent enough. 2 are XP, 2 are 7, and one's OS X. I'm not sure about the d-link router or network switch. Will I need to do anything to the switch to make it work (potentially), or is that just a potential issue at the router level? Also, when we run out of those IPv4 addresses and the switch fully occurs, will old equipment (running W2K for instance) still be able to connect to the internet? Or will that mean that I can't have an internet connection in my Windows 98 VMs at all?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 February 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

Do you know of any ways to force your computer to connect with IPv6? I've heard of a v6 facebook test - www.v6.facebook.com, but it only works if you are connecting via IPv6, and for me it doesn't. By the way, Judgement Day is coming on May 21, 2011, so we may not need to bother with IPv6 after all! :D :D :D

Fortunately, all the computers in my house are recent enough. 2 are XP, 2 are 7, and one's OS X. I'm not sure about the d-link router or network switch. Will I need to do anything to the switch to make it work (potentially), or is that just a potential issue at the router level? Also, when we run out of those IPv4 addresses and the switch fully occurs, will old equipment (running W2K for instance) still be able to connect to the internet? Or will that mean that I can't have an internet connection in my Windows 98 VMs at all?

That is likely because your modem (and/or router) do not support IPv6...or your ISP does not support it beyond the modem even if your individual equipment does. When I went to an IPv6 test site (http://ipv6-test.com/), I get that my connection is not IPv6 compatible. I assume that is because either my cable modem or Comcast's system in general is not yet IPv6 compatible.

I would assume that a router can be set up to "bridge" between the use of IPv4 locally on your home network and using IPv6 for the Internet connection, but that could be wrong assumption.

I honestly do not know if it will be an issue for your (or mine) network switch. If my above assumption is correct, then you and I should not have an issue. If my above assumption is not correct and EVERYTHING has be to IPv6, then this post seems to suggest that for an "unmanaged" switch it will not matter: http://forum1.netgea...t=53700...which is what I was assuming, but was not sure.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

View Postsmax013, on 22 February 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

That is likely because your modem (and/or router) do not support IPv6...or your ISP does not support it beyond the modem even if your individual equipment does. When I went to an IPv6 test site (http://ipv6-test.com/), I get that my connection is not IPv6 compatible. I assume that is because either my cable modem or Comcast's system in general is not yet IPv6 compatible.

I would assume that a router can be set up to "bridge" between the use of IPv4 locally on your home network and using IPv6 for the Internet connection, but that could be wrong assumption.

I honestly do not know if it will be an issue for your (or mine) network switch. If my above assumption is correct, then you and I should not have an issue. If my above assumption is not correct and EVERYTHING has be to IPv6, then this post seems to suggest that for an "unmanaged" switch it will not matter: http://forum1.netgea...t=53700...which is what I was assuming, but was not sure.

When the switchover finally occurs, will computers on your local network still use IPv4 addresses or will they switch to IPv6? I think my DSL modem might need to be replaced, as it's fairly old.

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 February 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

When the switchover finally occurs, will computers on your local network still use IPv4 addresses or will they switch to IPv6? I think my DSL modem might need to be replaced, as it's fairly old.

That is the thing that I don't know. In theory (assuming that a router can bridge things), you should be able to run IPv4 locally. Keep in mind that it is your (NAT) router that is "translating" between your local network with its "private" IP addresses (such as 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) and the Internet which has your "actual" IP address that is used for all the Internet connection stuff. That is why I was assuming that a router should be able to make an IPv6 connection but then allow the local computers to still connect to the router with "private" IPv4 addresses. But that is just an assumption (and you know what that makes me) on my part...in reality I really do not know.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

View Postsmax013, on 22 February 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 February 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

That is the thing that I don't know. In theory (assuming that a router can bridge things), you should be able to run IPv4 locally. Keep in mind that it is your (NAT) router that is "translating" between your local network with its "private" IP addresses (such as 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) and the Internet which has your "actual" IP address that is used for all the Internet connection stuff. That is why I was assuming that a router should be able to make an IPv6 connection but then allow the local computers to still connect to the router with "private" IPv4 addresses. But that is just an assumption (and you know what that makes me) on my part...in reality I really do not know.

If your internet connection is IPv6 but the local network is IPv4, I suppose older computers (without IPv6) support should be able to connect to the internet, right? I assume the router would do all the dealing with IPv6.

Oh by the way, my browser said it couldn't connect via IPv6 on the test site (http://ipv6-test.com).
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

I don't think anybody is working on it as yet. I just tried it I am not compatible with IPv6 either ( Verizon FiOS ). I don't think it is an immediate thing at the moment anyhow.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 22 February 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

I don't think anybody is working on it as yet. I just tried it I am not compatible with IPv6 either ( Verizon FiOS ). I don't think it is an immediate thing at the moment anyhow.

Still, there's only so many IPv4 addresses left. The ISPs should really get working on it.
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:02 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 February 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

If your internet connection is IPv6 but the local network is IPv4, I suppose older computers (without IPv6) support should be able to connect to the internet, right? I assume the router would do all the dealing with IPv6.

As I said, that is basically my assumption...but that is all it is...an assumption. I really do not know.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#13 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

I'm wondering whether home computers will still have IPv4 addresses. Remember that your computer's IP address is local, assigned by your router and only visible to other computers on the home network. The outside world sees only your router's IP address. So the routers, I assume, could handle IPv6 on the outside and IPv4 on the inside.

Of course, the computer would still have to be able to handle other IPv6 addresses as it cruises the Internet.

Lincoln

#14 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

The world will subsequently self-destruct and cause massive panic and horror.... no wait that's 2012 :D

But I think we'll become guinea pigs for the ISP's seeing where IPv6 will work the best and we may get upgraded routers that have IPv4 and 6 side by side.

For new customers once the IPv4 really starts dwindling, they may get IPv6 first and IPv4 as paid upgrade.
For me personally, I don't care if its IPv4 or IPv6 just as long as my internet connection works.

I should note, it is going to be very hard to memorize IPv6 addresses, there are too... many... numbers...
Even the experts started out as beginners

#15 User is offline   dragon69 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members_

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

well see what happens on june 8 " IPv6 day " i was checking around and found this!
=====================================================================================
on this page
http://ipv6-test.com...ld-ipv6-day.php
=====================================================================================

What is it ?

On 8 June, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Akamai and Limelight Networks will be amongst some of the major organisations that will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour "test drive". The goal of the Test Drive Day is to motivate organizations across the industry - Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and web companies - to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 addresses run out.
Why should I care ?

By offering their content over IPv6, these sites could become unreachable or experience very slow response time for users with a misconfigured IPv6 stack.

Typically, the most common problem we observe at ipv6-test.com is a home router which has IPv6 enabled, but no IPv6 connectivity. As a result, computers and networked devices on the LAN get an IPv6 address and default route, when in fact their outgoing IPv6 traffic never goes beyond their own router.
Take the test !

Check today your readyness for world IPv6 day ! Click here to take the test. If the first test takes too long and gives you a warning about IPv6 misconfiguration, be prepared to fix your network before the 8 June !

If the test passes, be it IPv4 only or v4+v6, you shouldn't experience any trouble on world IPv6 day. Actually, you may not even notice something is going on.
====================================================================================
Take Care and Good Luck

:-)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users