• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ubuntu Vs. Win7

#1 User is offline   Abandon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

So, since my windows 7 seems to like to argue with me, I think I might make the switch to Linux, Ubuntu. But, before I do... what are the ups and downs of it? What programs will/wont run? What type of speed can I expect? How user friendly is it?

Any advice would be nice before I make the switch.

Thanks

---Brad---
  • Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM SE2
  • Processor: AMD Phenom x4 9850 @ 2.6 MHz
  • Physical Memory: 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (Overclocked)
  • Hard Disk: Maxtor 6L160P0 (160GB)
  • DVD-Rom Drive: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801
  • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
  • Sound Card: X-fi Sound Blaster xTreme Gamer Edition
  • Case: Thermaltake Armor A90

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

View PostAbandon, on 24 February 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

So, since my windows 7 seems to like to argue with me, I think I might make the switch to Linux, Ubuntu. But, before I do... what are the ups and downs of it? What programs will/wont run? What type of speed can I expect? How user friendly is it?

Thanks

---Brad---

Hi, Brad.

While there are plenty of Linux apps, there isn't the rich and powerful selection you can get with Windows. For instance, there's no Microsoft Office. There is OpenOffice, however. For many people, that's enough, but I prefer Microsoft's.

Speedwise, you won't have anything to complain about.

User-friendly? If you're used to Windows, there's a learning curve. It can take awhile to get used to it. But it's not incredibly difficult.

Here's a safe way to try it out: Unlike Windows, you can boot it from a CD or a flash drive. If you really want to try it out, the flash drive is the better option. You can use the Pendrivelinux Universal USB Installer to install it onto a flash drive. When you want Linux, boot from the flash drive. When you want Windows, boot from the hard drive.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

These days, I don't bother with special copies of Linux for USB. Linux mounts them as a hard drive, and treats them as such. I just set them up with a proper Linux filesystem, and install to that.

Brad, Lincoln is correct in the software respect, and it is something to really think about. What software do you use on a daily basis. What do you have that you cannot do without. If your answers are limited to the browser, or Windows media player, then Linux will work out great.

If you want to play Crysis, or Fallout, or even a few older games like BioShock... then you really should stick with Windows. Some games DO work in Linux though, and if you do make the switch, I might be able to help you get a few set up.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#4 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 25 February 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

Here's a safe way to try it out: Unlike Windows, you can boot it from a CD or a flash drive. If you really want to try it out, the flash drive is the better option. You can use the Pendrivelinux Universal USB Installer to install it onto a flash drive. When you want Linux, boot from the flash drive. When you want Windows, boot from the hard drive.

Lincoln

Lincoln,
Just for giggles I set up an old 1GB flash drive with Ubuntu 10 using pendrivelinux, and tried it on my desktop and netbook. The desktop gave me input error messages on the display, perhaps because I'm using HDMI or because the resolution isn't supported. The netbook worked just fine, even my wireless connection after I entered the key. Everything seemed responsive on my low powered unit and navigation wasn't difficult.

@Abandon,
I'm about as far from a Linux expert as you can get and I can tell you this was an easy setup. It even comes pre-loaded with OpenOffice and some media app's and simple games. If your needs are very basic this looks like it will work. However, as waldojim pointed out, if you're into heavy gaming or Windows-specific app's this will likely disappoint. The good news is trying it was free and it left my Win7 boot drive(s) intact. :D
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#5 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

View PostAbandon, on 24 February 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

Thanks

---Brad---

Hey Brad!

Try the best of both worlds, take a look at Wubi- http://www.ubuntu.co...ndows-installer

Wubi installs ubuntu like a program to windows, mainly for easier removal options and there is no need to partition your disk. Once wubi is done, you will be able to dual-boot windows/ubuntu.

I recommend a highspeed internet connection, if not, be sure to download the Ubuntu desktop edition before running wubi.
Even the experts started out as beginners

#6 User is offline   Abandon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Seeing as it isn't gamer friendly, I may just end up with a dual boot system. I'll end up upgrading to a Terabyte hard drive here soon anyways, so I'll have the room. Seems like my disk is failing anyways. Disk-checking a lot etc. Anyways, I may use windows JUST for games, MS Office etc. Then Ubuntu for other things, such as browsing, and maybe just to get some experience under my belt with Linux. My career path kind of leans to what seems to be Linux systems anyways. I'll be going into Systems Administration, and seeing as a lot of companies use Linux for their software, I'll be needing my RedHat certification as well as my MCITP.

Thanks --- Brad
  • Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM SE2
  • Processor: AMD Phenom x4 9850 @ 2.6 MHz
  • Physical Memory: 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (Overclocked)
  • Hard Disk: Maxtor 6L160P0 (160GB)
  • DVD-Rom Drive: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801
  • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
  • Sound Card: X-fi Sound Blaster xTreme Gamer Edition
  • Case: Thermaltake Armor A90

#7 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostAbandon, on 27 February 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Seeing as it isn't gamer friendly, I may just end up with a dual boot system. I'll end up upgrading to a Terabyte hard drive here soon anyways, so I'll have the room. Seems like my disk is failing anyways. Disk-checking a lot etc. Anyways, I may use windows JUST for games, MS Office etc. Then Ubuntu for other things, such as browsing, and maybe just to get some experience under my belt with Linux. My career path kind of leans to what seems to be Linux systems anyways. I'll be going into Systems Administration, and seeing as a lot of companies use Linux for their software, I'll be needing my RedHat certification as well as my MCITP.

Thanks --- Brad

If you are willing to try it, grab GameOnLinux and use it to try to install your common Windows software in Linux. As I recall, Internet explorer will work fine, MS Office will (and both have automated scripts), and several games (like WoW). Some games run extremely well under wine/playonlinux. WoW is a perfect example, as is UT, Diablo II, etc. Fallout 3 runs like poop though, as does Crysis, Lost Planet, and many others.

Again, if you need help with things, feel free to ask.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#8 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Thanks --- Brad

CompTIA Linux+ is good for a vendor-neutral cert.
Even the experts started out as beginners

#9 User is offline   martinbrown81 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

Thanks --- Brad

Good, you can use both OS on one system. You made a right choice of programs. In my view UBUNTU is more secure from windows but Most of applications comes in Windows only so user friendliness of Windows is an good advantage.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users