Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Backup Is A Mess

#1 User is offline   loutsoul62 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

I have a WD USB3 1T External H.D. that I use as a backup. I don't know if I should use the software that came with it or use (Acronis True Image Home 2010) My Data Drive is D:\ and my backup is E:\ When I change things in my Data Drive it backs it up but after a while I end up with 50 gigs of change and redundant data and it looks like a mess. It sounds to me that a mirror drive might be a lot better than a backup? Then when I want to delete some of the data on my Backup it won't let me and tells me that it isn't there. I always backup up manually which always works and now when I am using a backup all I have is a mess.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

View Postloutsoul62, on 04 March 2011 - 07:35 AM, said:

I have a WD USB3 1T External H.D. that I use as a backup. I don't know if I should use the software that came with it or use (Acronis True Image Home 2010) My Data Drive is D:\ and my backup is E:\ When I change things in my Data Drive it backs it up but after a while I end up with 50 gigs of change and redundant data and it looks like a mess. It sounds to me that a mirror drive might be a lot better than a backup? Then when I want to delete some of the data on my Backup it won't let me and tells me that it isn't there. I always backup up manually which always works and now when I am using a backup all I have is a mess.

Hi, loutsoul62.

I'm assuming here that E: is the external drive. It should be. You don't want to use an internal drive for backup. I'm also assuming that C: contains Windows and your applications.

You don't need an image backup program like True Image for a data partition. I recommend using it to back up C: (which you only need to do a few times a year), because imaging and cloning are the only reliable ways to backup Windows. For data, all you need to do is backup the files.

The problem with mirroring is that it lacks versioning--backing up multiple versions of the same file. You might want, not yesterday's version of a document, but last Wednesday. This does result is that redundant data you complained about. Some programs that offer versioning also do purging--keeping only so many versions of a file and deleting the older ones.

Lately, I've been using Cobian Backup. It's free, it copies the files unchanged rather than using a special format, and it does a sort of crude type of versioning. You can set how many full copies to keep, and how many incremental ones to make between the full ones. For instance, I've got it set up so that it makes 7 incremental backups before doing a new full one, and keeps only 2 full ones (and their subsequent incrementals). That means it keeps 16 backups, two of which are complete.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users