• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Software For Monitoring Kids

#1 User is offline   tru006 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:16 AM

What are some good software to monitor( what they are doing) what websites your kids are on?

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

View Posttru006, on 26 April 2011 - 06:16 AM, said:

What are some good software to monitor( what they are doing) what websites your kids are on?

More important than the software is the approach you take. You don't want to secretly spy on your child. If you do that I discover that they're doing something they shouldn't, what can you do? Try to discuss it with them and you're the bad guy--you've been spying on them behind their back.

It's better to discuss the issues with them, let them know that their surfing will be monitored, but that you expect them to make wise choices. That way, they internalize your values...after much griping and complaining, of course.

Another important issue: Objectionable content is only part of the problem. Another part is spending too much time on the computer. Look for something that monitors that, as well.

I like OnlineFamily.Norton. It encourages a dialog between parent and child.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Hi Yru, Maybe you'll find this useful: http://monitoring-so...tenreviews.com/
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hi Tru :

I have never heard of any of the programs mentioned
in Coastie's "Monitoring" Site ; it MAY be an
"advertising" site !? I think you MAY be looking
for what is usually called "Parental Control"
software, like the FREE "K9 Web Protection" or
"Safe Eyes" or "Net Nanny" !?
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#5 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

The other day a Polish computer mag site wrote about a pendrivelike USB device for this. As I read it SOME time ago, I can't remember the name. A child is not aware of control, unless you plug the thing in and see what junior is doing. And if you trust your kid(s) is another matter. In Poland they also encourage talks, trust, care etc. And Germans, in turn, say that trust is good but control is better. So it's up to you.

#6 User is offline   gundark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

I've used the Norton Online Family Safety in the past - and it was okay - but I switched to the Windoes Live Family Safety. At the time I used it, the Norton product installed a toolbar. Something I didn't want.

I use a "white list" approach to filtering. Everything is blocked unless I specifically allow it. When the kids try to access a new site, they are presented with the option of either having me provide the password, or they can send a request through email.
My rig:
Commodore 64 with Modem cartridge. Tape drive. Zork. OKI thermal printer. 13 inch RCA color TV with tuning knob busted off. Atari 2600 joystick, and a list of all the best BBS numbers.

#7 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

View Postgundark, on 16 May 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

I've used the Norton Online Family Safety in the past - and it was okay - but I switched to the Windoes Live Family Safety. At the time I used it, the Norton product installed a toolbar. Something I didn't want.

I use a "white list" approach to filtering. Everything is blocked unless I specifically allow it. When the kids try to access a new site, they are presented with the option of either having me provide the password, or they can send a request through email.

I've never used whitelisting. Always seemed too restrictive to me. Maybe I'm a bit of a permissive parent (although my kids never thought so).

How old are your kids? In my family, kids don't get their own computers until they're 13 (Bar/Bat Mitzvah presents) and can manage some self-control.

btw, I love the description of your rig. Nothing like a Quad-quad SLI PNY nVidia Quadro FX 95000 (256 TB each) to bring out the beauty of an amber CRT.

Lincoln

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 17 May 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

View Postgundark, on 16 May 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

I've never used whitelisting. Always seemed too restrictive to me. Maybe I'm a bit of a permissive parent (although my kids never thought so).

How old are your kids? In my family, kids don't get their own computers until they're 13 (Bar/Bat Mitzvah presents) and can manage some self-control.

btw, I love the description of your rig. Nothing like a Quad-quad SLI PNY nVidia Quadro FX 95000 (256 TB each) to bring out the beauty of an amber CRT.

Lincoln

OK you must be joking there.... LOL Can the CRT do 2560x1600 resolution? That should be enough to play your games.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#9 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

i use k9webprotection. very easy to install and setup

#10 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 18 May 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

OK you must be joking there.... LOL Can the CRT do 2560x1600 resolution? That should be enough to play your games.

I also assume that Gundark was joking when he entered that.

Lincoln

#11 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 20 May 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 18 May 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

I also assume that Gundark was joking when he entered that.

Lincoln

That came out of the blue.

#12 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

View Postmjd420nova, on 20 May 2011 - 02:13 PM, said:

That came out of the blue.

Go to message 6 in this discussion. At the bottom of the message, as part of his signature, gundark describes his "rig," his computer. Read that description and you'll understand what we're talking about--which is really just appreciating a joke.

Lincoln

#13 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

Back a couple decades ago, when my children were just getting into using the computer, I used RED HAND that kept track of all the sites the individual users went to, chat rooms and even the actual info typed in. It was invisible and was easy to uninstall when I felt that it was no longer needed.

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

See this: http://forums.pcworl...idiculous-rigs/
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#15 User is offline   gundark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 17 May 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

Lincoln

My kids are 8 and 10 years old. They didn't really get their own computer, they just inherited my old one. IMO, they are far too young to surf the web freely, yet they do use the web for school work and some entertainment. We also use all three PCs in the house for the occasional network game of Extreme Paintbrawl, where the "old man" schools them. I'll enjoy while I can.

Glad you enjoyed the rig description. My main PC changes components frequently, so I figured if I really aim high in my description, I'll not have to update it for a while. I could use a new monitor, though...
My rig:
Commodore 64 with Modem cartridge. Tape drive. Zork. OKI thermal printer. 13 inch RCA color TV with tuning knob busted off. Atari 2600 joystick, and a list of all the best BBS numbers.

#16 User is offline   JulieOkulanis 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

A keylogger like Micro keylogger might help. It record keystrokes typed and sends the data to your own Email.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users