Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Backup During Travel Suggestions

#1 User is offline   matt8445 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

I travel for work frequently. I am always incredibly scared about losing information while on the road. I am curious to know what people do in regards to running a backup utility while traveling. I do not really want to travel with a extra drive for backup as my biggest fear is having my bag stolen in the airport or something and if the drive is sitting next to the computer doesn't make much sense.

I currently have a Seagate Free Agent Go Flex home NAS at home. I have my windows backup utility backing up to this drive. What I would like to do is be able to back up to this drive while on the road over the internet. What steps would I need to do for this?

Are there other similar solutions others use?

Also on a similar note. If this works or even if it doesn't does anyone know how to have seperate instances of windows backup utility? I want to have a daily backup of data and do a system image maybe evey week or so independent from the first operation.

Matt

#2 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

View Postmatt8445, on 09 May 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

I travel for work frequently. I am always incredibly scared about losing information while on the road. I am curious to know what people do in regards to running a backup utility while traveling. I do not really want to travel with a extra drive for backup as my biggest fear is having my bag stolen in the airport or something and if the drive is sitting next to the computer doesn't make much sense.

I currently have a Seagate Free Agent Go Flex home NAS at home. I have my windows backup utility backing up to this drive. What I would like to do is be able to back up to this drive while on the road over the internet. What steps would I need to do for this?

Are there other similar solutions others use?

Also on a similar note. If this works or even if it doesn't does anyone know how to have seperate instances of windows backup utility? I want to have a daily backup of data and do a system image maybe evey week or so independent from the first operation.

Matt

Hi Matt! Is this work or personal information?

If it's work information, have you been set up with a VPN account? If not, ask your IT department about it.
If you work in the medical field with patient data, be sure you are in HIPPA compliance or else the legal eagles will be swooping down on you en masse.

If it's personal information, you shouldn't take personal info (taxes, SSN, home equity, etc.) that could compromise your identity...
For any info you bring, put it on a flashdrive or usb thumbdrive and keep that drive on your person at all times.

What version of windows are you using? XP/Vista/7? As far as I know, windows backup utility cannot connect to remote disks and I have no experience with Segate NAS, so I do not have an answer regarding that...

But not to worry, if you need to back up information while on the go, have you taken a look at dropbox and/or pogoplug?
http://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.pogoplug.com/
Even the experts started out as beginners

#3 User is offline   matt8445 

• PipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

I have one computer for work and personal use. I do connect to our companies server while on the road via vpn. I used to backup to a network drive on our server however my files are often large. I do a lot of design work with larger cad files and such. Our IT guy gave me just a simple usb external drive and said back up to that. But when I am on the road and the drive is on my desk it does me no good. Sometimes I am on the road for 2 weeks or longer and build new data that could be lost.

I am running windows 7 64 bit. I have a hp elite book 8730w.

I like the windows backup utility it is simple to run. I used to run robocopy as well but stopped using that. Can I run windows backup using a pogoplug?

I can do the initial data transfer either on a home network or via usb. However I want the following transfers to be able to be done from remote locations.

Is it at all possible to just set up a vpn to my home network that I can connect to while on the road?

Matt

#4 User is offline   A41202813 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

And Do Not Forget BOX.NET And SKYDRIVE.COM.

CLOUDME.COM, Formerly ICLOUD.COM, Is Still Too Slow.

Together, With DROPBOX.COM, All These Services Can Be Accessed Using Only The Browser For Uploads And Downloads.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

View Postmatt8445, on 09 May 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

I used to backup to a network drive on our server however my files are often large. I do a lot of design work with larger cad files and such.

If it was problematic backing up to the work server due to large files, then you are going to have the same issue with online backup options like Dropbox or even if you setup remote access to some home network drive. All those options are going to be limited by your network connection speed where ever you are. So, if you only stopped using the work server due to speed issues and you still want a remote backup, then going back to use the work server for backup is likely the best option.

If a remote connection backup is too limiting, then you are really faced with backing up to an external hard drive or flash drive. As such, you best option might be to get some sort of a card reader (if your computer does not have one already) and then just start backing up your files to SD or even micro SD cards. You can get 32 GB micro SD cards these days. Two to four of those should do you just fine for a trip unless you are doing lots of REALLY large files.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   matt8445 

• PipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

View Postsmax013, on 09 May 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

I used to backup to a network drive on our server however my files are often large. I do a lot of design work with larger cad files and such.

If it was problematic backing up to the work server due to large files, then you are going to have the same issue with online backup options like Dropbox or even if you setup remote access to some home network drive. All those options are going to be limited by your network connection speed where ever you are. So, if you only stopped using the work server due to speed issues and you still want a remote backup, then going back to use the work server for backup is likely the best option.

If a remote connection backup is too limiting, then you are really faced with backing up to an external hard drive or flash drive. As such, you best option might be to get some sort of a card reader (if your computer does not have one already) and then just start backing up your files to SD or even micro SD cards. You can get 32 GB micro SD cards these days. Two to four of those should do you just fine for a trip unless you are doing lots of REALLY large files.

I understand the bandwidth issue. I guess my thought is that I should be able to do it remotely if I can do the initial backup with the bulk of my files via usb or similar. The problem with most of the online services is the overall storage is too small. I have about 500gb of stuff I want to back up. Day to day it would not be much change and I do not need a system image stored, but most do not support this nor do I want to take a week to do it.

I will keep looking. The NAS drive I have came with this memeo software. Most of the time that stuff that comes with hardware is kinda crap, but this doesn't look terrible.

The IT guy gave me a static drive not for the bandwith but for the storage space. He was backing up to a relatively small drive and I used too much space. I think it was a cop out on making his life easier.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

View Postmatt8445, on 09 May 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

I understand the bandwidth issue. I guess my thought is that I should be able to do it remotely if I can do the initial backup with the bulk of my files via usb or similar. The problem with most of the online services is the overall storage is too small. I have about 500gb of stuff I want to back up. Day to day it would not be much change and I do not need a system image stored, but most do not support this nor do I want to take a week to do it.

I will keep looking. The NAS drive I have came with this memeo software. Most of the time that stuff that comes with hardware is kinda crap, but this doesn't look terrible.

The IT guy gave me a static drive not for the bandwith but for the storage space. He was backing up to a relatively small drive and I used too much space. I think it was a cop out on making his life easier.

Many current NAS drives have the ability to log in remotely. While I have never set it up, my RAID NAS does.

The person who likely might be able to give some good advice is SnyperTodd. I know he has a server setup at home that he uses for relatives to do remote backups. I will PM him and see if he has some time to comment.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   matt8445 

• PipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

View Postsmax013, on 09 May 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

View Postmatt8445, on 09 May 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Many current NAS drives have the ability to log in remotely. While I have never set it up, my RAID NAS does.

The person who likely might be able to give some good advice is SnyperTodd. I know he has a server setup at home that he uses for relatives to do remote backups. I will PM him and see if he has some time to comment.

Very cool thanks

#9 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Hi, Matt.

If online backup isn't practical for you, I'd strongly recommend reconsidering an external drive. Just don't keep it in the same case as your laptop. Carry it separately.

Also, think hard about what you need to backup on the road. It doesn't have to be the 500GB you use at the office. It can be a much smaller subset. If you don't change more than about 10GB a day, online backup is no big deal.

Lincoln

#10 User is offline   Grr8008 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hi Matt. Just for a little added info/advice,
a portable option can be made more useful with PortableApps. Notably in the backup side of it, is Synkron, a program that keeps the files on your flashdrive and on your laptop in sync. PortableApps can also be used for work purposes depending on the program you need. It's a great little utility.

As for keeping your flashdrives secure, considering the relatively low cost of flashdrives, you could always keep a few of them that are synced as needed, and kept in different places. (Pocket, around the neck, briefcase, ect.) It would be a little more effort to make sure that each one is always up to date, but redundancy often means peace of mind when it comes to backing up data.

This post has been edited by Grr8008: 11 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hi Matt

It sounds like you want something very similar to what I have set up. I have two different ways to do an online backup to my own server from anywhere I have internet access. The first is a router-based VPN server. By having the VPN server in the router, I can access any computer and any external drives on my network. I use SyncBack SE to do differential backups every night, no matter where I am. I use OpenVPN Client to sign into the VPN. The nice thing about VPNs, as you probably know, is that the tunnel is encrypted so it's pretty safe from prying eyes that may be sharing the hotel's wifi or whatever with you. You can also redirect your internet through the tunnel for extra security, but that's another topic.
The second way I do online backups is through a FileZilla FTP server running on my server. If the VPN is down or I'm not connected to it for whatever reason, SyncBack will backup through FTP through the FileZilla server. I use DynDNS to give my FTP server a static, easy to remember IP like "myserver.homeftp.net" and also update the IP address if it changes. This can be done either with a program that runs on the computer, or with router firmware that supports DDNS clients.
Of course, my solutions rely on a specific selection of routers (Linksys WRT54G's in my case) running third-party firmware, but both can be handled on an individual machine. OpenVPN will accomplish the same thing being run as a server on an individual machine, as will FileZilla with a Dynamic DNS update client program. This is just a few ideas that I use. All of it needs detailed setup, which we can help you with if you decide to set something up.
"Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." -Alan Kulwicki, 1954-1993

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users