• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malware

#1 User is offline   SamanthaReygan25j 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

How likely is it that I could have infected with my computer with something bad by visiting sketchy or adult websites with Google Chrome on Windows 7 without downloading anything (simply browsing and watching videos)?

I feel like my computer is running a little more slowly after having done so (though not by a lot, if at all - it could just be my imagination and paranoia).

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Adult websites are notorious for having malware. It is possible that you have a drive-by download.

Here's what I'd do:
Run CCleaner
Run Malwarebytes Antimalware and do a full scan

Google Chrome is certainly more secure than IE though.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   SamanthaReygan25j 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

I've run full-scans with Norton Antivirus, Spybot, and Microsoft Security Essentials without detecting anything.

Also I thought drive-by downloads weren't possible with Chrome.

This post has been edited by SamanthaReygan25j: 08 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 08 June 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

I've run full-scans with Norton Antivirus, Spybot, and Microsoft Security Essentials without detecting anything.

I imagine it still has security holes, even if far fewer of them.

Did you try malwarebytes? It's a great tool for finding and removing malware that's already there.

Also, try CCleaner. It removes things like temp crap and browser cache junk that could be slowing you down.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   SamanthaReygan25j 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm not even sure that my computer has anything..more paranoia than anything else.

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 08 June 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

I'm not even sure that my computer has anything..more paranoia than anything else.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Can't hurt to run www.malwarebytes.org . It is Free, just download, update and do a full scan. As has been stated, old files can cause a slowdown, and can be cleaned out using www.CCleaner.com , also FREE. Once that is done, and it is still slow, then we can look into possible hardware issues.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#7 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 08 June 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

IF you are running two antivirus applications at once in real time then, your PC will
suffer slow downs.

Norton is notorious (as well as MSE ) for not working well with other security software.

As for Spybot, if you have enabled the TeaTimer module, I would suggest you Disable it
as it too, will slow your PC.

Once you have ascertained that no infections are present after scanning with MBAM
and run CCleaner then, you might think of doing a defrag.

I use Auslogic defrag for this purpose. http://www.auslogics...efrag/download/

Just a note on browsers. I am not a proponent of IE but, I have to say that the new version
of IE (IE9) is just as safe as the others.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#8 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 08 June 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

How likely is it that I could have infected with my computer with something bad by visiting sketchy or adult websites with Google Chrome on Windows 7 without downloading anything (simply browsing and watching videos)?

I feel like my computer is running a little more slowly after having done so (though not by a lot, if at all - it could just be my imagination and paranoia).

Hi, Samantha, and welcome to the forums.

As Brian recommended, you should try Malwarebytes. Here are a couple of others you should try:

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner: Download this, preferably on another computer. Save it to a flash drive. Boot your PC into Safe Mode, and run this program (which won't need updating) from there.

AVG Rescue CD: You can use this to create a bootable CD or a bootable flash drive. Either way, boot it and follow the prompts.

If all three of these programs find nothing, I think you can be reasonably sure that your PC is clean.

Lincoln

#9 User is offline   SamanthaReygan25j 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'm really more interested/concerned about what the chances are of becoming infected through something like this as opposed to how to remove malware if it did happen.

#10 User is offline   latinlightning 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Here's a good word of advice: Stop visiting adult websites to avoid having paranoia or even worse have an unworkable computer!

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

That's really hard to say - it depends on the website. Again, adult websites are known for being sources of malware.
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   SamanthaReygan25j 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

View Postlatinlightning, on 09 June 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

Here's a good word of advice: Stop visiting adult websites to avoid having paranoia or even worse have an unworkable computer!

My computer is not any slower than it was before and I only did it this one time. I don't plan on it again.

Isn't Chrome Sandboxing supposed to prevent drive-by infections?

This post has been edited by SamanthaReygan25j: 09 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 09 June 2011 - 03:44 PM, said:

My computer is not any slower than it was before and I only did it this one time. I don't plan on it again.

Do you mean incognito? All that does is it doesn't save cookies and history to the computer, preventing anyone who looks at your history from seeing where you've been. However, if there's a security hole in it, that mode will not prevent it from being exploited. It's like using a different firefox profile - cookies and history are gone, but exploits that were used on the old profile to infect the system are still infecting it. Does that make sense?

If you really want to be sure, install Linux in a VM, enable the undo changes feature, and use a web browser in there. Then, whenever you shut it down, revert back to the previous version. That makes your chances of being infected VERY slim.
Spoiler

#14 User is offline   SamanthaReygan25j 

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 09 June 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 09 June 2011 - 03:44 PM, said:

Do you mean incognito? All that does is it doesn't save cookies and history to the computer, preventing anyone who looks at your history from seeing where you've been. However, if there's a security hole in it, that mode will not prevent it from being exploited. It's like using a different firefox profile - cookies and history are gone, but exploits that were used on the old profile to infect the system are still infecting it. Does that make sense?

Chrome Sandboxing is not the same as Incognito mode.

#15 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 09 June 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

I'm really more interested/concerned about what the chances are of becoming infected through something like this as opposed to how to remove malware if it did happen.

The repercussions of a drive by would be that, you could have Rogue antivirus installed or a redirect of your browser's searches.
All of which are hard to either detect or eradicate.

IF you are to visit such sites either willingly or by accident , I can suggest a couple of ways to help you determine if you really want to visit or stay on those sites.

First, click on my sig and install the add-on (for IE , FF or Chrome) Web of Trust. Adjust the way you are warned by the add-on and your done.

IF you are still concerned about landing on bad sites by mistake then, install Sandboxie. This will sandbox your default browser and restrict whatever is downloaded
to your PC to a special space on your HDD which will be deleted once your browsing session is over. Compatible with both 32 and 64bit PCs.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#16 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Oh whoops my bad.

Btw if you run into a malware site, open task manager, then find the instances of chrome.exe and kill them. It's iexplore.exe for ie and firefox.exe for you know what. When you start the browser again, do NOT have it restore your session.
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   cyberknight 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

View PostSamanthaReygan25j, on 08 June 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

Looks to me like u are running both Norton & MSE, both of which have real-time shield. This could explain about the slow down. Choose any one primary anti-virus, possibly MSE. By the way chrome is secure, to quite an extent than IE or FireFox, the reason being it is'nt as widely used as IE. Exploiters design malware so that it would affect the largest section of web browsers; and IE still holds the highest share.
Like others suggested u can begin with CCleaner, to clear out all the crap the Chrome has accumulated over time. Then there are several free tools availiable like MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, HijackThis, etc. Scan & clean up your registry. If u are not running Win7 then u can use Smart Defrag 2 or Auslogic Disk Defrag 3.2 for defragmenting your HDD. Smart defrags boot time feature can be used to defragment files that can't be otherwise moved while the system is running.
Lookin 4 trouble
U will never know what hit ya
Freakin Fast.... Cyber!!
-------------------------------
Laptop: Sony VAIO
i5-480M 2.67GHz (2.93GHz with Turbo Boost)
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1GB
4GB(2x2GB)RAM, DDR3 1066Mhz
500GB HDD (5400rpm)
15.5" LCD display
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#18 User is offline   JulieOkulanis 

• PipPip

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

I highly recommend Oshi Defender i also use personalty Oshi Defender as well on win. i have never gotten a virus. no program is 100%perfect also oshi defender will keep out most viruses and help to remove browser hijacker and get rid of browser hijack

#19 User is offline   cyberknight 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostJulieOkulanis, on 03 January 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

I highly recommend Oshi Defender i also use personalty Oshi Defender as well on win. i have never gotten a virus. no program is 100%perfect also oshi defender will keep out most viruses and help to remove browser hijacker and get rid of browser hijack

Have to admit I never heard of that! For some reason if u don't like MalwareBytes, may be u could try Spyware Blaster. If u have an AV like Avast or AVG, u wouldn't need any of the extra bells n wistles that other spyware softwares offer (not to mention their large download size).
Lookin 4 trouble
U will never know what hit ya
Freakin Fast.... Cyber!!
-------------------------------
Laptop: Sony VAIO
i5-480M 2.67GHz (2.93GHz with Turbo Boost)
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1GB
4GB(2x2GB)RAM, DDR3 1066Mhz
500GB HDD (5400rpm)
15.5" LCD display
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

#20 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

As far as other anti-virus programs, I would Not consider AVG as an alternative to the better ones.

A no bells and whistle free A / V would be Avira.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users