Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remote Desktop

#1 User is offline   roscoblunt 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hey everyone. All my friends call me to fix their computers. Is there a free program to remote help them. Almost like a help desk! Any suggestion would be appreciated free or otherwise!

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

You already have one - Remote Assistance. Look under 'Programs' in the start menu. I've used this plenty of times.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have used several over the years. Well actually I am still using several of them, and the best one in my view, at this point in time is TeamViewer.
http://www.teamviewe...m/en/index.aspx
LogMeIn is also quite good. It is not necessary to have a client installed on the helpdesk computer. You just login to your account at logmein.com and you can access the troubled computer through that website. This could be handy if you are out somewhere without your own laptop when you get the call. The troubled computer must have the program installed. The other solutions all require that you have a client installed on the helpdesk and a server on the target computer, though as a rule, both are installed with the downloaded application.
For the longest time I have used UltraVNC over a Hamachi VPN for my own network as this arrangement allows me to have instant access to shared files on all my computers in the office, the shop and at home. UltraVNC though, has issues with dual monitors, so I find myself using one of the other solutions in that particular situation. UltraVNC may have that ironed out by now but I am in no hurry, as there are so many ways of doing this that it not really an issue for me.
For real serious remote support where you are able to influence hardware choices, you can install intel motherboards that support V-Pro, like those with the Q67 chipset. These boards can be remotely booted even if they are turned off. All that is required is that they are plugged in, which is a tremendous advantage to remote support. Even if the target computer will not boot because of a virus or file corruption, the support person can boot that machine from a boot floppy image or an ISO on his local computer, mount the troubled remote drive, and make repairs that way.

This post has been edited by Tunz: 27 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

View Postroscoblunt, on 27 June 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Hey everyone. All my friends call me to fix their computers. Is there a free program to remote help them. Almost like a help desk! Any suggestion would be appreciated free or otherwise!

I'm a big fan of Skyfex. It's a Web-based solution and very easy to set up--which is important when you don't have access to the PC you're repairing and trying to set it up on the phone with a novice. I wrote about, and the problems of Windows' Remote Assistance, here (admittedly, nearly three years ago).

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 28 June 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

View Postroscoblunt, on 27 June 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Skyfex. It's a Web-based solution and very easy to set up--which is important when you don't have access to the PC you're repairing and trying to set it up on the phone with a novice. I wrote about, and the problems of Windows' Remote Assistance, here (admittedly, nearly three years ago).

Lincoln

Remote Assistance is NOT the same thing as Remote Desktop. With Remote Assistance, the noob sends an invite to you, you open the file (and type the password if they set one), and connect. I think the noob's IP is IN the file that's sent over - you never deal with it. It may use the same underlying engine to connect though.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 28 June 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Remote Assistance is NOT the same thing as Remote Desktop. With Remote Assistance, the noob sends an invite to you, you open the file (and type the password if they set one), and connect. I think the noob's IP is IN the file that's sent over - you never deal with it. It may use the same underlying engine to connect though.

You're right! Thanks for the correction.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users