PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Will I Be Doomed, If I Still Continue To Use Windows Xp Instead Of 7 Or Even 8? - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will I Be Doomed, If I Still Continue To Use Windows Xp Instead Of 7 Or Even 8?

#1 User is offline   spiderowych 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Will I be doomed, if I still continue to use windows xp instead of 7 or even 8? Because the support has been cut off!

#2 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

No.

#3 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

You're 'doomed' because you use WIndows. Use Linux, and run Windows XP in a virtual machine. You'll still have all the latest hardware support, and XP will still work.

I'd have still been using windoze 2000 (with USB2, Wifi, etc.) under Linux, if Adobe hadn't started requiring XP to run their software for some unfathomable reason.

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

View Postspiderowych, on 30 August 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

Will I be doomed, if I still continue to use windows xp instead of 7 or even 8? Because the support has been cut off!

If I recall correctly, Microsoft will stop updating XP in 2014. That means no new patches. That could be a serious security problem, although there's an argument that by then, little patching would be needed and the bad guys won't be looking for XP vulnerabilities anymore.

When other software companies stop worrying about whether their software runs on XP, you'll know it's time to move on.

Unless you can't afford it, I strongly recommend moving to Windows 7. It's really an excellent OS--a major improvement.

I haven't seen enough of Windows 8 to have a reliable opinion, but I didn't care for what I saw.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

Nah, that's the beauty of running it in a VM. Windoze 2000 works fine in a VM. XP does, too. So it isn't patched anymore? Boo-hoo. You can firewall and restrict internet access for a VM, or snapshot it so that no modification to the VM is even possible (you can set it so it reverts as soon as it reboots, unless you tell it not to). So you can work on a dedicated work tree on the host machine (Linux, OSX, Windoze, etc.), and nothing EVER gets 'updated' (or potentially broken) in the VM its self.

Complete VMs are ridiculously easy to back up, too.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

True about that Lincoln. If I use w2k in a vm, chances are that a lot of malware won't run on it anyway.

Remember though that software is going to stop supporting XP eventually. Sure, Firefox still runs on w2k, but most things don't. That'll end up being a problem eventually. I'll admit, there's still an XP machine in my house. However, it probably CAN'T run 7 well (pentium 4 3GHz, 1GB DDR...), so I won't upgrade it. If it dies eventually or I have some other reason, I'll replace it with a Win7 machine. I just haven't seen the need yet, it runs a web browser well enough and that's all I need it to do. However, most people don't keep 7-8 year old machines around. I think the average consumer replaces their equipment after 3 years. (but come on, a core 2 duo can still run windows 7 and all that smoothly...)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#7 User is offline   ice49man 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

You're doomed for using Windows in the first place.

Macintosh brotha!

#8 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

View Postice49man, on 04 September 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Macintosh brotha!

Ice, not cool man, not cool!

I use a Mac but I still support people's decisions for staying with XP!
Even the experts started out as beginners

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

View Postice49man, on 04 September 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Macintosh brotha!

Actually, Windows is quite secure. (at least windows 7 when updated) I've heard that 3rd party apps are the things that create most of the security flaws. That's why I don't use frequently-targeted programs like Adobe Reader. (I use Nitro PDF Reader) Macs tend to have less 3rd party software it seems - for instance, apple provides all drivers and a built-in PDF reader...

For the most part, I'm ok with people using a mac if they wish, though I personally would never buy one.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

You will be fine. Windows XP is supported until 2014. AFter that, many online communites will support it like they had to after MS stopped support.
"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'

Other laptops that I had in the past:

(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)

#11 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

If you have installed or got your machine with XP installed, I'd stay with it. One of the truest statements here was that XP is as secure now as any other platform. Keeping it up to date with patches and such will help to insure it remains safe and it will be the other software that you might install that will change your vulnerablities. Moving up to the newer versions of Windows (ie. 7 & 8) is intended to take advantage of the newer hardware and may not run properly on the older hardware. I presently have at least one functioning machine running each version since Win ME. Keeping them updated is most important. Once the platform is no longer supported by MS does not mean the thing is obsolete, just not the fastest available but is the best for that level of hardware.

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 08 September 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

If you have installed or got your machine with XP installed, I'd stay with it. One of the truest statements here was that XP is as secure now as any other platform. Keeping it up to date with patches and such will help to insure it remains safe and it will be the other software that you might install that will change your vulnerablities. Moving up to the newer versions of Windows (ie. 7 & 8) is intended to take advantage of the newer hardware and may not run properly on the older hardware. I presently have at least one functioning machine running each version since Win ME. Keeping them updated is most important. Once the platform is no longer supported by MS does not mean the thing is obsolete, just not the fastest available but is the best for that level of hardware.

True... A Pentium 2 is ok with windows 98SE and office 97 or 2000, but don't expect Windows 7 (or even XP) and Office 2010 to run well on it.
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

If XP works for you then go for it. I still run it because I have to and I don't complain. It runs most of what I need.

#14 User is offline   gentoogod 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

View PostEvildave, on 30 August 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

You're 'doomed' because you use WIndows. Use Linux, and run Windows XP in a virtual machine. You'll still have all the latest hardware support, and XP will still work.

I'd have still been using windoze 2000 (with USB2, Wifi, etc.) under Linux, if Adobe hadn't started requiring XP to run their software for some unfathomable reason.

Whats next? You gonna go into the car section and tell people that want to know about upgrading thier car to buy rollerskates? I've used Gentoo linux (the real one not the noobuntu bloated stuff) and even im not dillusional enough to think linux is anything more then a hobby for bored people.

#15 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Virtual machines are ultra convenient, and pretty easy nowadays, and THAT is what I'm recommending. A Windoze 2000 virtual machine can have (virtual) access to the latest hardware, networking, etc., and be completely secure in a VIRTUAL environment. So XP can be used 'forever', if you want to. So can Windoze 98se. Downright snappy boot of Win98 in a virtual machine on a MODERN computer.

If gentoo 'sucks' for you, that's too bad FOR YOU. I'm sure if you'd tried OTHER distros, like Mint or Ubuntu, your experience might gave been different. Then again, if you went at it thinking 'toy', rather than 'tool' from the beginning, you would conclude any computer/OS is a 'hobby for bored people'. Even windoze. Especially windoze, considering the number of games that run on it, and the number of people here who have no other use for a windoze machine BUT gaming.

Ubuntu worked fine for me for several years, earning my living, before I eventually switched to Apple machines (UNIX), because they are very nice.

#16 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

But will modern software run in that VM? Sure, Firefox still supports Windows 2000, but Windows 98 support was dropped with version 3.x.x, and Chrome needs at least XP. And support for XP is being dropped in quite a few things - IE9 for instance? It's time to move on from those. Newer OSes can take advantage of new hardware better. I'll admit, if you have a Pentium 4, stick with XP. But if anything newer (ex. Pentium D), you can probably run Windows 7 just fine. In the end, it's up to you.
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

View PostEvildave, on 01 October 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Virtual machines are ultra convenient, and pretty easy nowadays, and THAT is what I'm recommending. A Windoze 2000 virtual machine can have (virtual) access to the latest hardware, networking, etc., and be completely secure in a VIRTUAL environment. So XP can be used 'forever', if you want to. So can Windoze 98se. Downright snappy boot of Win98 in a virtual machine on a MODERN computer.

If gentoo 'sucks' for you, that's too bad FOR YOU. I'm sure if you'd tried OTHER distros, like Mint or Ubuntu, your experience might gave been different. Then again, if you went at it thinking 'toy', rather than 'tool' from the beginning, you would conclude any computer/OS is a 'hobby for bored people'. Even windoze. Especially windoze, considering the number of games that run on it, and the number of people here who have no other use for a windoze machine BUT gaming.

Ubuntu worked fine for me for several years, earning my living, before I eventually switched to Apple machines (UNIX), because they are very nice.

Yep, that defines my position exactly. Linux is great on machines I don't care about playing games on.

That said, most real productivity TOOLS only run on Windows, or possibly OSX. Linux is still excluded from there...
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#18 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 01 October 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

But will modern software run in that VM? Sure, Firefox still supports Windows 2000, but Windows 98 support was dropped with version 3.x.x, and Chrome needs at least XP. And support for XP is being dropped in quite a few things - IE9 for instance? It's time to move on from those. Newer OSes can take advantage of new hardware better. I'll admit, if you have a Pentium 4, stick with XP. But if anything newer (ex. Pentium D), you can probably run Windows 7 just fine. In the end, it's up to you.

Considering the crap rendering from Chrome (too many problems, and I have only been using for a month), and the release cycles from hell out of FF now... I would suggest sticking with an older copy of FF, and keep a backup of the VM. Then, if anything slips through the firewalls, and makes it past the browser, you simply delete the working copy, and restore the backup. 10 minutes of your time consumed - TOPS.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#19 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

In general, Chrome seems to work fine for me. I keep using FF for the forums (v7 or something) because I have some issues with it, plus that way I can stay signed in to the forums (which I check often) while still being able to have chrome clear my cookies when I exit it, thus helping me defeat online tracking. I don't like the new FF release cycles though - how can they keep breaking compatibility while Chrome does it just fine? Aside from ABP, I don't have any addons in FF, though that's mainly because I don't use it much, so the compatibility issues don't bother me. And I'm on the beta update channel too.

Also, IE9 works ok on the forums, but there a few tiny issues. In chrome, at least before, I get BB code appearing in my posts if I put in quotes (and if I edit it and there are quotes in it). FF and IE don't do that.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 01 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

Spoiler

#20 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Heck, windoze XP & 7 run fine on my Macbook Air under Parallels. I play some 'Steam' games in an XP VM on the iMac. Every so often, 'something' breaks under one one version of Internet exploder or another, so I end up booting up windoze to see how it breaks.

Sometimes the 'new' version of the OS doesn't run the 'old' software. Such as when Shista came out and broke... EVERYTHING. And that can be a bit inconvenient when some of that stuff was 'Developer Studio' versions that were needed to build different older software, 'old' tax software that was needed to open 'old' tax files. All kinds of 'outdated' things.

However, all the 'old' stuff works fine in a virtual machine. No popup telling me that Windoze wouldn't 'ALLOW' me to install software. Even if you had to run XP in a virtual machine under Windoze 8.

And I already HAD virtual machines anyway. For testing. Because for a period, things had to be tested in Windoze 2000 + XP. Just as things need to be tested in XP + Shista + 7. If you develop Client/Server junk, you use virtual machines, or buy lots of boxes and KVM switches. Especially if you'd like to have ONE version of a POSIX COMPLIANT server, rather than try to make Windoze's sucky sockets work, and 'work around' all the other incompatible garbage. The 'select()' function is very nice.

The point is, the windoze 2000 stuff still works fine in its VM. All of that 'antiquated' software is still needed for those 'antiquated' builds of 'antiquated' code. A virtual machine with the tools that you need for a project can come in super handy in lieu of trying to configure a 'modern' computer to do anything with your 'old' tools. Because if a 'new' version of that 'old' code is needed, being able to build it and run it, and manipulate its original source data is kind of important, even if you're going to be 'porting' it to a new platform with different build tools.

If only to prove ALL of the source data is there.

And I've had to work on old games with incomplete source code. Nothing like getting 90% of the way through hand converting Bliss-16 to C, or some wacky macro assembly language of yore, only to discover it was not the 'final' version of the game that shipped. Which happened more than once porting up old arcade games. Ahh, MAME was a life-saver for one of those. Getting at the ROM images to mine out the missing pieces.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users