PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Icons At Bottom Right Of Screen - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Icons At Bottom Right Of Screen How do you remove old icons?

#1 User is offline   Bassbug3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

I have 2 or 3 icons for a former WIFI access that I replaced with net gear and one or two I am not sure what they are now. I would like to get rid of them because the make the bar longer when you look at all the hidden icons. BTW, is there a way to keep them all visible? I am running XP Media Edition. It seems like the one I want to access is always one of the hidden ones.
Thanks for the assistance.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

View PostBassbug3, on 16 September 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

I have 2 or 3 icons for a former WIFI access that I replaced with net gear and one or two I am not sure what they are now. I would like to get rid of them because the make the bar longer when you look at all the hidden icons. BTW, is there a way to keep them all visible? I am running XP Media Edition. It seems like the one I want to access is always one of the hidden ones.
Thanks for the assistance.

Hi, Bassbug.

I assume you're talking about icons in the system tray--also known as the systray. It's that row of tiny icons on the right side of the taskbar.

Those aren't just icons. Those are running programs. They're not just wasting space on your screen; their using RAM, clock cycles, and so on. I'm guessing that when you set up that "former WIFI access," you installed some software, which then set itself up to load automatically each time you boot.

Your best bet would be to uninstall that software. If you don't remember the name, point the mouse pointer at one of the icons, and some information should turn up. Or right-click the icon for a menu.

Once you've figured out the name, click Start, select Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs. Find and select the program (or programs) and click the Remove button. If you haven't been able to figure out the name, perusing this list might help you remember it.

If uninstalling doesn't work out, click Start, then Run. Type msconfig. Click the Startup tab. This gives you a list of the programs that load automatically when you boot. Find the culprits there, and uncheck them.

Your second question, about controlling which systray icons are visible. Right-click the taskbar and select Properties. In the resulting dialog box's Taskbar tab, in the Notification section, click the Customize button. Here you can select the visibility option for each icon.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users