Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installing A Hdmi Port To Pc

#1 User is offline   mikeybud 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hello! First post! hope someone can help me...

So i bought a cheapish desktop PC unit for the spec i was getting. they have obviously cut back on a few things including a graphics card that has a HMDI output port.

I have two VGA output ports but my HDTV doesnt have VGA input. *sad face* ive searched and it seems i would need to buy a analogue to digital convertor as well as the cables for VGA to HDMI. I figured i would be cheaper to install a new graphics card?

but where do i go from here?

in case you hadnt spotted as yet, i have no idea what im doing...

I have a Zoomstorm E3400 PC base unit. i cant remember what the graphic cards are. but i searched online and it says "intergrated graphics"...

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

You really can't go from analog to digital. You could buy a USB adapter, but those are often $60 or more. A better bet is a new GPU. What is your PSU brand, wattage, and 12V rail? For instance, I have a geforce 210 which ran fine with a 350 watt unit. That was $50, and I've seen ones for about $30 at local stores.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

View Postmikeybud, on 27 September 2011 - 03:01 PM, said:

Hello! First post! hope someone can help me...

So i bought a cheapish desktop PC unit for the spec i was getting. they have obviously cut back on a few things including a graphics card that has a HMDI output port.

I have two VGA output ports but my HDTV doesnt have VGA input. *sad face* ive searched and it seems i would need to buy a analogue to digital convertor as well as the cables for VGA to HDMI. I figured i would be cheaper to install a new graphics card?

but where do i go from here?

in case you hadnt spotted as yet, i have no idea what im doing...

I have a Zoomstorm E3400 PC base unit. i cant remember what the graphic cards are. but i searched online and it says "intergrated graphics"...

Hi MIkey and welcome to the forums. I couldn't find a lot on that PC. Yep, it is Integrated graphics. I was trying to find out if it had a PCIe x16 expansion slot where you could add a dedicated card with HDMI. As for adapter, you can go from VGA at the Computer port to DVI, if the monitor has no VGA port. Anyway, the only way you will be able to get HDMI is if you can upgrade to a dedicated video card that has an HDMI port ( most all of them have DVI these days ).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

There are lots of cheap integrated graphics that ONLY have VGA. Remember, HDMI is just DVI (they are electrically compatible) and digital audio. Adapters are cheap. However, you probably won't find it on integrated graphics. I couldn't find a ton of info on that computer though, so it's hard to know if it has that. See this: http://i4memory.com/...8_T3RS_PCIE.jpg If it's a long slot and it has that little thingy at the end (toward the middle of the motherboard), it's a PCI-E x16 slot. Small short ones are PCI-E x1. Long ones withOUT that thingy are plain old PCI. (you almost certainly have maybe 2 PCI slots or so, a PCI-E x1, and hopefully a PCI-E x16, needed for graphics)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

I do have HDMI on the intergrated graphics on this MOBO, course the graphics are integrated in the Sandy Bridge Processor and the reason.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 27 September 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

I do have HDMI on the intergrated graphics on this MOBO, course the graphics are integrated in the Sandy Bridge Processor and the reason.

His machine has a 775 Celeron (and DDR2, though Windows 7), so you've got whatever the mobo manufacturer opted to include.
Spoiler

#7 User is offline   mikeybud 

• Pip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:59 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I havent opened up the unit yet so i am unsure about the jpeg, Brian, but thanks i'll use that when i get home.

Would i be easier converting VGA to DVI then, as Coastie said? and using the DVI to hook up to my TV?

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 27 September 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 27 September 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

His machine has a 775 Celeron (and DDR2, though Windows 7), so you've got whatever the mobo manufacturer opted to include.

I looked up the Machine and it has a low end C2D in there ( 2.5 Ghz I think ). At least i think it was as the peocessor was an E something or other.

View Postmikeybud, on 28 September 2011 - 03:59 AM, said:

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I havent opened up the unit yet so i am unsure about the jpeg, Brian, but thanks i'll use that when i get home.

Would i be easier converting VGA to DVI then, as Coastie said? and using the DVI to hook up to my TV?

You would need a DVI cable and VGA to DVI adapter.

#9 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

If you don't want to get a new card, you could get a VGA-DVI adapter, then a DVI-HDMI adapter. I haven't tried that, but I imagine it would work.

Another thought: Do you really need HDMI? I've yet to see an HDTV that didn't take VGA.

Lincoln

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 28 September 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

If you don't want to get a new card, you could get a VGA-DVI adapter, then a DVI-HDMI adapter. I haven't tried that, but I imagine it would work.

Another thought: Do you really need HDMI? I've yet to see an HDTV that didn't take VGA.

Lincoln

Hey Lincoln, I believe he is in the UK, so no telling.

#11 User is offline   mikeybud 

• Pip

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I am in UK. :(

The tv has the inputs for Component video (Ypbpr),Component audio inputs,HDMI inputs,Scart1,Scart 2,Aeriel,PC audio input,S-VHS input,Audio line out.

^^ I copied that from another forum.

Will the idea of VGA to DVI then DVI to HDMI be ok?

I suppose it doesnt HAVE to be HDMI, just as long as i can use the TV as a screen for my base unit.

#12 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

The only way to move from VGA to HDMI is with an encoder box. Those are fairly expensive. A VGA to DVI adapter does NOT change the signal type, and HDMI does NOT accept analog signals (VGA).

Your best bet is to open the side of your PC and look at what expansion options you have available.
Posted Image

That right there has both PCI-E and PCI slots labeled. The colors are irrelevant. Do you have slots that look like the yellow PCI-E 16X slot?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

DVI and HDMI are ELECTRICALLY COMPATIBLE and therefore pretty much the same thing.
Therefore, that won't help. You simply can't really go analog>digital. You can go DVI>VGA without an active adapter, but DVI includes analog pins. Therefore, HDMI>VGA is NOT possible.

OP, while you're in there, look at your power supply. What is the wattage, 12V rail, and brand? For instance, my last PSU was an Antec Basiq 350W, with 23A of 12V rail (10A and 13A), and it ran a system with an i5, Geforce 210, and 2 HDDs just fine. I've had that thing for nearly 5 years and it still works. (upgraded it though so I can upgrade the GPU)

Oh, and are you sure that you don't have a VGA port? Most HDTVs do. If not all. Attached Image: vga1.jpg

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 28 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Spoiler

#14 User is offline   ReviverSoft 

• PipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:04 AM

@mikeybud

Why don't you post the specs. of your PC for us? You can use Speccy to do this.

This should indicate the following:

1. If you have PCI-E slot
2. Details of your onboard graphics chipset (a decent GPU can power a HDTV to its full glory)

This post has been edited by ReviverSoft: 29 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

#15 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

View PostReviverSoft, on 29 September 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

@mikeybud

Why don't you post the specs. of your PC for us? You can use Speccy to do this.

This should indicate the following:

1. If you have PCI-E slot
2. Details of your onboard graphics chipset (a decent GPU can power a HDTV to its full glory)

Not if it doesn't have the right ports... as is the case in the current scenario.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#16 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 28 September 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

DVI and HDMI are ELECTRICALLY COMPATIBLE and therefore pretty much the same thing.
Therefore, that won't help. You simply can't really go analog>digital. You can go DVI>VGA without an active adapter, but DVI includes analog pins. Therefore, HDMI>VGA is NOT possible.

OP, while you're in there, look at your power supply. What is the wattage, 12V rail, and brand? For instance, my last PSU was an Antec Basiq 350W, with 23A of 12V rail (10A and 13A), and it ran a system with an i5, Geforce 210, and 2 HDDs just fine. I've had that thing for nearly 5 years and it still works. (upgraded it though so I can upgrade the GPU)

Oh, and are you sure that you don't have a VGA port? Most HDTVs do. If not all. Attachment vga1.jpg

Slight clarification/correction.

DVI-D and HDMI are nominally electronically compatible.

You are correct that you cannot go from VGA to HDMI (either directly or "through" DVI) with just an "adapter".

But, as waldojim mentioned, you CAN go from VGA to HDMI with an (active) "converter" box. Such a device will "convert" the analog signal to a digital signal. Look them up on NewEgg. I have no clue how well they work. And if the OP does not have a good option to going to a dedicated video card with HDMI (or DVI-D), then it might be the only option.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#17 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
http://www.hisdigita...61616114965.png
DVI-D is the digital only connector, typically on the monitor, and DVI-I is the digital AND analog compatible one typically on the PC.
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 01 October 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
http://www.hisdigita...61616114965.png
DVI-D is the digital only connector, typically on the monitor, and DVI-I is the digital AND analog compatible one typically on the PC.

Another possibility: There are devices that connect wirelessly from USB to HDTV. I briefly discuss a couple of them in Can I Wirelessly Connect My PC to My HDTV?

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users